1200??

Options
How can I make 1200 work and not feel like I am underrating. I had a very active lifestyle, but recently I am stuck in a desk job. I will be able to workout some but not as hard. I just don't want to go into starvation mode again with a program. How do you know if your taking in the right amount of calories? i just seem so lost and new to the calorie counting.

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    1200 is under eating, so it will feel like you're under eating. There is no such thing as starvation mode, but you will probably damage your metabolism with really low calories for a long period of time. I wouldn't drop below 1500 calories per day if I were you, but a lot of people seem to do the 1200 thing so if that works for you then it's your choice.
    Are you logging your exercise and eating those calories too?
    The only way to know if you are eating the right amount of calories is to record everything and then see how miuch you've lost at the end of the week. If you've lost too much then eat more, if you've not lost enough then increase your calorie deficit.
  • SniffTheSweat
    Options
    How can I make 1200 work and not feel like I am underrating. I had a very active lifestyle, but recently I am stuck in a desk job. I will be able to workout some but not as hard. I just don't want to go into starvation mode again with a program. How do you know if your taking in the right amount of calories? i just seem so lost and new to the calorie counting.

My diary is open and this is similar to the amounts I've been eating. I've been trying to eat more but I really struggle to eat enough.

I think the key is working out ~200 cal breakfast + ~500 cal lunch/tea meals. Once you have that nailed the calorie counting becomes superflous.

Can't help you with starvation mode, you should be able to tell if it starts happening but your body doesn't have a magical device to resist the laws of thermodynamics either.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How many pounds per week did you tell MFP you want to lose? If you set it to 2 pounds per week, then 1200 is likely not enough food for you.

If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,

So, you set it to the appropriate loss per week and see if it gives you more than 1200 cals. Try to get in a 30 minute walk every day, or even two 15 minute walks, and eat back those calories as well.

Alternately, figure out your BMR and TDEE and eat 15% less than your TDEE and this way you do not eat extra calories for exercise.
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 (+/- 100) calories since I've started dieting. It works ok for me, I have been loosing and I do not feel hungry, so it's ok. I have a 350cal breakfast, piece of fruit as a morning snack, about 250-300cal lunch, nuts for afternoon snack, 200-250cal dinner, roughly. I do vary a bit on the snacks and such but usually end up with 1200cal or just below. Also I do not panic if I hit 1300 on weekends, for example, even though I try not to.

See how it works for you. Honestly I think I'd have trouble trying to eat much more than that, personally - these meals fit fine with my schedule.
  • ItsSamantha
    ItsSamantha Posts: 127
    Options
    1200 calories is to low.Go to apps and check your BMR,you need to at least be eating that amount of calories because that is how many calories you burn doing normal daily activity no exercise included.Then when you workout you can eat all of the calories back but 500 of them (thats if you burn more then 500 calories) to have a 500 daily deficit to lose weight.It took me a while to get this but i get it down.I eat around 1800 or so calories but that is also based on my workout.The more intense your workout the more calories you need to consume.You will put your body in starvation mode if you eat to little calories.You may see weight loss but it will more then likely be muscle not fat.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you're set at sedentary, make sure you eat back all your exercise calories. This has the added benefit of making you do exercise so you have enough to eat:wink:

This is what has worked for me, although once I lost over 20lb I manually reset MFP to allow me 1400 a day as it was just not possible to exercise enough (working full-time in a desk job) to get the extra exericse calories.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Eat more! I agree with ItsSamantha.. you should be at least eating at your BMR. 1200 is way too low for anyone, unless you want to feel like garbage every day.
  • tizmi
    tizmi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not necessarily under-eating depending on your height and activity level and how much weight you are trying to lose. Some people around here forget that not everyone is of average height or more ¬_¬

1200 is perfectly do-able if you have things like soups for lunch with some yoghurt/low-fat dessert, cereal with skimmed milk for breakfast, fruit for snacks and so on. Eating your exercise calories when you earn them also helps.

I have lost 24 lb (with 76 to go) doing this and I don't feel like garbage every day. But if you do start to feel 'not quite right', maybe add 100 cals extra a day for a few days and see if that helps, while still allowing you to lose weight if that's what you're aiming for.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not necessarily under-eating depending on your height and activity level and how much weight you are trying to lose. Some people around here forget that not everyone is of average height or more ¬_¬

1200 is perfectly do-able if you have things like soups for lunch with some yoghurt/low-fat dessert, cereal with skimmed milk for breakfast, fruit for snacks and so on. Eating your exercise calories when you earn them also helps.

I have lost 24 lb (with 76 to go) doing this and I don't feel like garbage every day. But if you do start to feel 'not quite right', maybe add 100 cals extra a day for a few days and see if that helps, while still allowing you to lose weight if that's what you're aiming for.

No
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    1200 is under eating, so it will feel like you're under eating. There is no such thing as starvation mode, but you will probably damage your metabolism with really low calories for a long period of time.

THIS! ^^ Nobody should be eating 1200 a day, unless they are like 4 foot 9. I know it's confusing, because MFP sets 1200 up as your goal automatically, but it doesn't mean it's good for you. In this instance, ignore MFP, they are wrong.

Find an online TDEE calculator, fill it out, and subtract 20% from the number it gives you. That is the number of calories you should be eating to comfortably, SAFELY, and most importantly, sustainably lose weight. It will be slower, but you won't run the risk of damaging your metabolism, as stated above, and it also preserves your lean muscle, which keeps away that dreaded "skinny fat" look and saggy butt syndrome.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options
    1200 calories is not necessarily under-eating depending on your height and activity level and how much weight you are trying to lose.

This is true, but I think people fail to realize HOW small you'd actually have to be to have 1200 cals a day be a smart choice for you.

A woman of 25 years old, 4'8", and only 100 pounds would STILL have a BMR of over 1200 calories. Meaning she would need to eat MORE than that if she were not bedridden all day.

So unless you are smaller than that, no one has any business eating that little. You are flirting with metabolic disaster. You are free to try to argue with me all you want, ("But I feel fine" or "I'm losing weight just fine") but these calculators were designed by people much, much smarter than you or I, based on mathematical formulas and equations that you can't deny.

I mean, I suppose you CAN try arguing that 1+1=3, but you're going to look awfully silly doing it.
  • slyall08
    slyall08 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If I go by the TDEE, I would be eating 1580 calories a day, that seems like a lot!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    If I go by the TDEE, I would be eating 1580 calories a day, that seems like a lot!

Average woman 5'3" in her 30s at about 140lbs burns around 2200 cals a day.
    Don't let your fear of food ruin your chances of success.
    Learn how and when to eat.
    Lift.
    Walk.
    Sleep.

Simple basic stuff.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options

Really not all that much, when you think about it. It's only 380 cals more than 1200. (That's a peanut butter and jelly sandwich extra, per day!)

Use full fat milk and cheeses, add a splash of olive oil in your cooking, add nuts and avocados to your meals, and you'll get to 1580 without even trying, I promise you.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Really not all that much, when you think about it. It's only 380 cals more than 1200. (That's a peanut butter and jelly sandwich extra, per day!)

Use full fat milk and cheeses, add a splash of olive oil in your cooking, add nuts and avocados to your meals, and you'll get to 1580 without even trying, I promise you.

i agree 1580 is not that much, you should always start off higher and work your way down if necessary.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not necessarily under-eating depending on your height and activity level and how much weight you are trying to lose.

This is true, but I think people fail to realize HOW small you'd actually have to be to have 1200 cals a day be a smart choice for you.

A woman of 25 years old, 4'8", and only 100 pounds would STILL have a BMR of over 1200 calories. Meaning she would need to eat MORE than that if she were not bedridden all day.

So unless you are smaller than that, no one has any business eating that little. You are flirting with metabolic disaster. You are free to try to argue with me all you want, ("But I feel fine" or "I'm losing weight just fine") but these calculators were designed by people much, much smarter than you or I, based on mathematical formulas and equations that you can't deny.

I mean, I suppose you CAN try arguing that 1+1=3, but you're going to look awfully silly doing it.

This. I'm 4'11'' 110 pounds and 28 and my BMR is around 1286. Seeing as how I don't spend my life bedridden I rarely go below 1800 to keep my body fueled for my lifestyle.

Also if this woman's profile picture is any indication... she looks absolutely AMAZING so I don't know her, but I trust she knows what she is talking about.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options

No

Right. The reason why she "feels ok" and "it works for me" is because you're used to having your metabolism slowed down to a drip. The heart,intestine and skin alone probably need 1200 calories.
  • tizmi
    tizmi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have gone through several calculators for BMR, both automated and the ones on that roadmap thing where you plug the numbers into a calculator yourself. I have worked out my BMR and from that my TDEE which is about 1750 or 2000 depending on the exercise settings and if I take 750 off that to lose 1.5lb a week (not the 2lb a week which is supposedly the most you can healthily lose, I decided that was a bad idea) I get 1000 (hahahaha no) or 1250. Soooo....what? Where are the calculations going wrong? I'm trying to eat my exercise calories so I actually end up eating 1700-2000 cals. Is this wrong?

The attitudes I see from some of you more dedicated people annoy me because you can become very insulting, but I am also trying to do things correctly so perhaps you can tell me - what TDEE calculation number should I use when, other than going out for a walk to get to my 10k steps a day or going to Curves 3x a week, I am not active. All my work and hobbies are sedentary you see, so I don't think it quite adds up to "1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)" because my daily life is about as active as a sloth.

Can I also ask, are you guys making a distinction between 1200 in total or 1200 NET calories?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    but I am also trying to do things correctly so perhaps you can tell me - what TDEE calculation number should I use when, other than going out for a walk to get to my 10k steps a day or going to Curves 3x a week, I am not active. All my work and hobbies are sedentary you see, so I don't think it quite adds up to "1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)" because my daily life is about as active as a sloth.

Can I also ask, are you guys making a distinction between 1200 in total or 1200 NET calories?

Well, calculators are estimates so you might have to try a couple of different ones for several weeks.

If you use the TDEE -% method, you would subtract a percent instead of a flat calorie amount, this percent will adjust accordingly as your weight drops. So, even at the low end, 1750 - 20% = 1400 cals. This would include your exercise so you wouldn't eat more for exercise calories. Your 10k steps a day is nothing to sneeze at, that is ~5 miles.

I would personally try 1600 for about a month, then if no results drop to 1500. Or alternately, try to fit in more activity.

Since I don't eat extra exercise cals with that method, I just log my exercise for motivation but put in 1 calorie burned so it doesn't change my net goal.