Couch to 5k Questions

Options
Okay everyone,

I just started C25k, and I am doing it outside, so it is a lot more difficult than my usual cardio on the treadmill. I found myself so tired yesterday during the 1st day of the 2nd week, I could barely finish, but I did and today felt better. I am not sure if 3 days a week is enough. I don't want an injury, but I just feel like I should be doing more. I signed up for a 5k with a friend, and although I know I can walk some, I would really like to run the whole thing. Have any of you done it more than 3 days a week? Do you do any other exercises? Should I be lifting? I want to do everything I can to lose weight on top of training for the 5k. What do you suggest. I need some guidance.

Thanks!

Replies

• goldfishgoo
    goldfishgoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Three days..that is all you need to do for now. They say the body needs to get used to what you are attempting and needs recovery time. Keep going. You won't regret it! I did my first one in May. You are sooooooo right about treadmill vs. road. It is even different with road vs. sidewalk! Just when I started to do well staying on the sidewalk I hit the road...wanted to crawl back to the sidewalk!) :laugh:
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    3 days of cardio is usually enough, but I don't think there's any harm in adding an extra day or two. I run between 3-6 days a week, and when I started I ran 4-5 days a week.

Also, I love running outside. I hate running on the treadmill, and actually find it harder. I also hate running on sidewalks. I started out using the sidewalk, and transitioned to the road. Now I despise when I have to run on the sidewalk.

edit: I haven't used c25k, I just did it on my own... but regardless, I still feel like it's fine to add extra days.
  • dinoskycm
    dinoskycm Posts: 267
    Options
    I'm doing couch to 5K right now too, and I'm in week 3 for the second time because I felt like I wasn't ready to move on yet. Definitely don't do more than 3 days a week, and have a day in between for rest. That will keep you from being injured. I injured my knee back in August when I tried to run 5 days a week, and that was huge mistake, but now I'm back at it! haha On your off days, if you want to do something, focus on your core and upper body. Lifting is GREAT for c25K! I lift whenever I can. Running is not just a lower body workout. It's a full body workout, and having a strong core is essential!

Also, different surfaces will definitely make all the differences in the world! I have a hard time running on road! I do really well with trails though. I'm most definitely a trail runner, and I love being out with nature. I haven't run on sidewalk so I don't know how that surface feels, but I would imagine it's just as hard as road. Treadmills, to me, are boring and I just can't get into it. But running in real life is definitely harder than running on a machine. But I love getting the fresh air too! :)
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Stay with three or you will injure yourself. You may feel up to it but your tendons and joints may not. And sometimes they don't tell you until it is too late. Start slow. Increase mileage slowly.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Well, I did 4 days when I did couch to 5k. Something like M-T-Th-Sat or T-W-Th-Sun but my Sat or Sun would be longer. I skipped week 1 because all summer I had been walking around 2 miles a few times a week, then in Sept. started couch to 5k on week 2. Anyway, as long as you feel good, and get in a couple days of rest, it should be ok. I wouldn't try to do more than 2 days in a row for a while. I also incorporated some lifting on the other day that I didn't run, like Wed or Mon, and then did a strength video on the other weekend day.
  • JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I did C25K last year and didn't do my first 5k until this spring. Three days a week is enough, especially if you are like me. I am not into running and that was the reason I could stick it out. I did alternate with walks, biggest loser work outs and Jillian michaels. I don't like aerobics too much. I like to focus on strength training...but just basic things like they have on bob and Jillian's videos. Don't give up on yourself with the running. You can adjust the training schedule to fit your bodies adaptation, so if you have to repeat one of the weeks many times, go for it. The key is that you are exercising consistently.

I restarted the program so I could get my 12 y.o. Daughter into running. Both my kids laughed at me because they were out pacing me in no time. The running never has gotten easier for me. However, I have just started training for a triathlon sprint so I have added swimming to my work out routine. I can't believe it, but my running is actually finally getting a little easier. I do not feel like I am being tortured quite as much. So, if you have access to a pool...
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Stick with the program and you'll do well. Jogging outdoors is harder than jogging on the treadmill. When I finished C25K on the treadmill and moved outdoors, I almost felt as if I were starting over. So, if you're starting outdoors, I imagine it's much harder to keep going.
    Keep your pace slow. Join the C25K group (here on MFP) for support. I got a lot of help and support there.
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have been walking most days for the last couple of weeks since I decided to lose weight, and I like the daily exercise / movement. If I started C25K and followed the recommendations on this thread, should I just walk on the off days or skip them altogether?

PS Just so you know, I am 150lbs overweight and up till the last week of June have been extremely sedentary.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My legs hurt too much to do more than 3 days a week. I do strength training or rest on the other days. Outdoors is way harder - but nicer because the treadmill is soooooooooo boring! I do a mix of both - mostly depending on the weather and time.
  • fitgirl626
    fitgirl626 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been using the C25K app for a few weeks and have found that I'm too achy and feel too much wear and tear on my knees when I run on back to back days so I've only been doing it three days a week as the app suggests. But I also have been doing a circuit training/boxing class 2 days a week and I walk my dog for 20-30 min every day too. I've done a lot of different fitness programs in the past and I've found that "mixing it up" with different types of workouts throughout the week is the easiest on my body (and the least boring) :smile:

At the very least, I would suggest walking on your non-C25K days. Good Luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Since you just started and had a rough run yesterday, I would follow the 3 day per week plan for now.

Taking a rest day doesn't mean you don't exercise at all, it just means you take it a little easier or do something else. You can absolutely strength train as it can help your running quite a bit. Instead of doing a 4th running day how about doing a leg day and on your other rest days, do upper body and abs and do some light cardio if you want like walking or biking. Also make sure you're stretching really well and getting a ton of water.

Running outside is much harder than on the treadmill - you're pacing yourself and dealing with obstacles and different terrain, wind, heat, humidity, air pollution, etc. Give it time and let your body build up the strength and endurance to complete the program and then start thinking about increasing your speed or distance. Overtraining will likely lead to injury and no one wants that!

Good luck!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I'm about to finish C 25K. I run every other day, so 4 days this week, 3 days the next. I usually ride my bicycle on days I'm not running, with the occasional rest day thrown in.

This is a great support group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel ready to move on then you can always repeat a week. Running outside is a lot different than using a treadmill. Stick out the 3 days per week to avoid overuse injuries, repeat weeks if you need to. Watch YouTube vids on proper running posture, it will help a lot. I also found that I was going waaaaaaaaaay too fast the first 3 or 4 weeks of C25K. Find a pace that you can maintain over the distance of your run and speed will come later.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've done C25K twice. I completed it 2 years ago and then was sidetracked by a car accident and subsequent spinal surgery where I could not run for a year. I just completed again a short time ago.

The first time doing it (and keep in mind...I weighed 234 lbs when I started), I had a difficult time of time. That's not to say the program itself was difficult. I was just in horrible shape. I stayed on some weeks for longer than 3 times. I repeated some weeks entirely. I was just not ready to move on. But I eventually made it through. Important to mention, though, that I did have a knee tendon injury in the 1st 2 months, probably from overuse (and being so overweight as well). I was running C25K 3 to 4 times a week and doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred on my off days. It was just too much.

This time around, I have a *much* better handle on what my body can and cannot do. C25K went much more smoothly - I slid through week after week, only repeating 1 or 2 days through the whole process. I run 3 to 5 days a week, so I obviously sometimes run 2 or more days in a row but I am much more in tune to when I am too tired to run (as opposed to making excuses). I have not had any injuries this time around.

Stick to the program, for now. 3 days a week is fine. If you don't feel ready to move on to the next level, repeat a day, or a week. Be content in the knowledge that every time you get out there & run, you are improving your health. What a magical thing!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You are going to lose weight by staying within your calorie goal. Exercise builds fitness and strength.

You shouldn't be running more than three days a week at the beginning, the rest is important for your body to gain strength. The recommended minimum for exercise is 30 minutes, 5 days a week. Weight training, swimming, yoga, Pilates, etc. are all good cross training activities to build strength and speed as a runner.