5'2" 138 pounds, anyone similar?

Options
I am 5'2" and 138 pounds. I have been as low as 109, but that was years ago when I was a high school/college athlete. I'm just looking for advice from similar sized ladies on what kinds of things have been the most helpful for them. I'm looking to lose 15-20 total, but my first goal is 10 pounds.

Replies

• topotw
    topotw Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's me to a T! I'm 5'2" and have fluctuated between 138 - 140 for many years now. I just started using MFP though, and haven't lost much weight, so no great advice yet. It seems like it's just going to take persistence and patience. I also used to be around 109 in high school/college.

I'd love to hear what others may have to say - I think it boils down to eating less than you normally do, and exercising more! I've committed to logging in my foods everyday, it does make you more aware of what you're eating and how much, or little, exercise you are getting! Good luck to you, if you ever want to add a friend, feel free to add me.
  • Bel0602
    Bel0602 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Im also 5"2. I'm at 126lbs right now. But about a year and a half ago I was 135. What I found helped me was basically keeping well balanced diet and exercise 4 to 5 times a week for 30 minutes or more. I know it sounds so cliche but its true!

It took me a little longer to get to 126 since I would go on and off my diet. I was bad at sicking to it. But I know if I had more self control then I would have lost the weight sooner!
  • catrinadaniels
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 160-ish at the moment. I used to be 100 even at all times, so I def. understand the frustration. My current goal is 150, then will be 140 and 130 etc. until I'm at 115.

PS: I'd kill to be your weight right now! Ahh! You look great :)
  • nspink22
    nspink22 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    PS: I'd kill to be your weight right now! Ahh! You look great :)

Thanks! That's an old pic from about 15 pounds lighter...using it as motivation!
  • heather4949
    heather4949 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" - 146lb and in my 60's.........tell you what being that size is so hard to maintain as you get older, but I am soldiering on and the aim is to be healthy and fit.....feel free to add me as your friend for support......
  • MissBernie73
    MissBernie73 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 138 pounds. I am only aiming to lose another 10 pounds.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 144, trying to figure out how much more I should lose
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2. My highest weight was 165. I was pregnant and couldn't exercise much,but my weight before that was 120. I'm 126 right now. The ultimate goal is is to be back to 120 and muscly. Not skinny fat. Feel free to add me.
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" 133.4 right now. I started at 140. I do SL 5*5 MWF and run 3 miles on TTH. I figured out my TDEE and then subtracted 20%. Then I set my macros and I try to stay within those numbers. I average about a pound a week since starting the above routine. I was also around 100-110 pounds until my 30s. I don't care what the scale says, my real goal is to first get to 25% bodyfat and ultimately to 20%. My diet is not "clean", I'm a IIFYM kinda woman. However this week looks like *kitten*! Between PMS and preparing for a trip from TX to CA with 4 kids I have not been very good at keeping my diet in check.
  • Claire_x90
    Claire_x90 Posts: 94
    Options
    5"3
    I've been

HW: 140lbs
    LW: 90lbs
    then back up to 140lbs
    then down to 110
    now back up to 120

(over the course of about two years lol )
  • joypoulsen
    Options
    I'm' 5'3 and was at 138 and lost 18 pounds and 30 inches doing Les Mills PUMP at home -and it was the first time I follwed a nutritoin plan and saw results -- msg me if you want more info or to see my transformation
  • AmyfromBama
    AmyfromBama Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'3'' and around 158-160lbs ... I hope to be at least 120lbs soon!!!
  • KenzieeeBrooke
    KenzieeeBrooke Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and weigh 140, we are close!
  • nspink22
    nspink22 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and weigh 140, we are close!

Have you found anything particularly successful?
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5" and started at 66kg (or over, I didn't weigh myself for a while after seeing that).

I'm now 53.6kg/118lbs and looking to be about 50kg.

What helped me was moderation, eating within a deficit but being sure to not undereat, etc.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 121 lbs. I'd like to lose 1 more. Many years ago I started losing (without MFP) at 188 lbs. I got down to 138 using portion control and weight watchers at times. Exercise 6+ times a week. I remained at 138 til the end of Dec. 2012 then I joined MFP and lost the remaining weight in 5-6 months through calorie counting and exercise including low weights with more reps. Medically I'm not able to lift heavy. I eat LOTS of veggies and some fruit everyday. All kinds of protein incl. beans and lentils. Nuts and nut butters. Lots of olive oil and olives. Avocado and bananas. Chocolate almost every day. I eat between 1800-2000 calories a day including eating back most of my exercise calories. It's slow but sustainable.
  • dianebiaggini
    dianebiaggini Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5" and started at 66kg (or over, I didn't weigh myself for a while after seeing that).

What helped me was moderation, eating within a deficit but being sure to not undereat, etc.

Just curious: over what period of time?
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2. I started MFP in August 2011 at 138 lbs. It took me around 6 months to get to 120 lbs. Then it took me another year to get down to 115 lbs. Ever since last December I've been hovering around the 114-115 lbs mark. I'd set my goal at 110-112 lbs but it doesn't look like I'll get there anytime soon. My body seems determined to stick to the weight it is now. Oh well, no biggie:smile:

When I started off losing weight I did Jillian Michaels videos 5-6 times a week and ate around 1400 calories a day. I didn't like the restriction one bit.

I now lift weights 2x a week (squats, deadlifts etc. at 90 lbs atm) and do some circuit training 1x-2x a week as well. I eat between 1600-1850 calories per day and use the TDEE - 15% method to calculate how much I should eat.
  • dianebiaggini
    dianebiaggini Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 2" and approx 138 pounds too. I'm 35 and have a 3 year old son. It will be one month tomorrow since I started MFP and also some dedicated training. I'm trying to be less focused on the scales, but I can't help but be a little disappointed that after one month I haven't seen much of a change in terms of those bloody numbers on a machine! BUT... I have seen other positive changes and trying to let these shine through instead. Mainly a) getting fitter- yesterday ran 6km and I couldn't do that a month ago b) lower body feeling more toned/stronger c) feel pretty good about eating better and exercising more. Tomorrow will take my monthly measurements, I hope that these reveal some of the changes. I get the feeling that I need to be patient and look at this as more of a long term process...no short term quick gains in this weight loss project!
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Just curious: over what period of time?

Slightly over three months, but everybody is different I'm sure.

The last few kg (where I am now) will probably be the slowest.