Need Lots Of Help

Options
Hey Everyone,

I've never really posted in the forums section so this is new to me. My problem is that I am pretty severely overweight... Im 21 and I am 5 foot 5 inches and I am 235 lbs. I have struggled with losing weight all of my life. I will diet and diet and lose maybe 10 lbs, then i just put the weight back on... I can never seem to keep it off, and it really depresses me so I usually put on more weight than i lost. I really don't know what to do. I try and try and its like its all for nothing when the weight keeps coming back, even while I'm dieting. Anyone have this feeling?

Replies

• reneewl
    reneewl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I went from 325 to 235 a long time ago, then from 235 to 126 in the last 18 months. I do Atkins, but everyone has to find their own plan. I've sure loved mine, though!
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on losing it slowly and it wont come back :smile:

You can add me for motivation if you like. I have about 30 -40 pounds to shed
  • rachitpanwar8
    rachitpanwar8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Buddy...You need a Roadmap.You need to put 2 things togehter.Healthy Diet and Intense Training.

My Story :
    I Let myself go and reached 229lbs (104 kg) by sitting on my *kitten* studing and eating whatever fast food was placed in front of me.

Changes i DId...
    1.Proper Diet ( More of Protein [Egg whites no yolk (You can eat it after removing ur carb addiction") less of carbs ( u need carbs in the morning ) ).
    2. Eat 6 times or 8 times with short meals (Why should i eat 6 or 8 times a day ? It will keep ur Metabolism at high rate! and you wont go in Starvation mode. ( Starvation mode : you will drop weight and gain later then u lost ).
    3.Intense Exercise ( I own a Treadmill - My daily goal is 12 km running ( morning + Evening ) ) ( Before buying a treadmill daily i did Cardio @ Insanity Dvd - 60 day Program )

Note: Loosing weight and Gaining Muscle is Easy if done in the right way.
    Happy to help

Have a nice day,
    Rachit
  • mjmcgove
    mjmcgove Posts: 13
    Options
    another thing that bothers me is that when i try to walk or run for exercise, my legs start to kill me... i get almost like a burning sensation and tightness in my calves... i'll walk or run until i cant anymore then i have to stop... the pain get so serious sometimes that i need to grit my teeth... this is disheartening when my friend wants to help me lose weight and asks me to go on jogs with him and I cant get down the block without having to stop, not because I'm winded, but because my legs dont allow me to go anymore. any idea what this is?
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Slow change works too. As long as you don't rebound when
    you hit a place of frustration. You just have to keep on keeping
    on. I took a looooooong time to lose my majority. I started over
    316 ( not certain of true weight but was higher a bit ). I lost about
    35-45 and kept it off, hurt myself and stayed there a while. In a
    nutshell my lowest weight on my last attempt previous to this one,
    was 209. I then bounced to 248 .. lost some found MFP and am
    looking fwd to being under 180 very soon. I hope to be 135 this
    time next year.

So that's my story , you can do it .. I know you can. Just get your
    thinking positive and try to surround yourself with motivating
    friends.This is a great place and many winners are here. :) Best
    of success to you!!
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    another thing that bothers me is that when i try to walk or run for exercise, my legs start to kill me... i get almost like a burning sensation and tightness in my calves... i'll walk or run until i cant anymore then i have to stop... the pain get so serious sometimes that i need to grit my teeth... this is disheartening when my friend wants to help me lose weight and asks me to go on jogs with him and I cant get down the block without having to stop, not because I'm winded, but because my legs dont allow me to go anymore. any idea what this is?

Do little increments, build your strength/stamina, you will eventually surprise yourself. Keep going from there.
    Challenge yourself once you get stronger. :)
  • Cocozest
    Cocozest Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Start in small steps. It's a great thing that your friends are encouraging you to jog, but that sudden physical change might cause more harm to your joints. I recommend start slowly. Walking is a good step, go for time rather than distance.

As for the pain your experiencing, best advice is to get medical advice from a doctor.
  • wednesdaypennington
    Options
    I am also 5 foot 5 and was 250 . I started my healthy eating two weeks ago and my exersice last week a great workout video that will build you starmina and your muscles. The video I started on was EXTREME MAKEOVER WEIGHT LOSS EDITION THE WORKOUT walking is not for everyone and just getting your body used to moving again is a big deal I remember last Friday only five days after I started I ran in the yard with my children for an hour and wasn't winded not one time before that I couldn't even run... you can do it it is possible and its not gonna be easy
  • timkane46
    timkane46 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You need to learn to eat, there are alot of people that loose weight but never learn how to eat and eventually they gain the weight because they didn't make a lifestyle change that includes learnig how to eat. I went to a nutritionist and she spent 1.5 hours with me teaching me how to eat, what a cup of food looks like, what two cups looks like, I got a food scale and measured portions. I lost 100 pounds in about 20-22 months. Once I was feeling better I started to exercise and lost another 55 pounds. If you are determined to get healthier you have to learn about food and learn what works for you, make a commitment to change your lifestyle and dont let opinions of people, friends and family, that don't or won't understand what a real lifestyle change is. Make a commitment to yourself and know that it will take time, it is a process but you are worth it.
  • duna_pruna
    duna_pruna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with the jogging being not wise. Walk instead and see a Dr. Measure and log everything you eat. You will be surprised if you are honest at how much you are really eating. You may also be dehydrated and mistaking it for hunger as well as having a carb addiction. Logging helps, but you have to fight the mental battle of realizing you can never just eat what you want. You will always have to watch it. There is no quick fix. This is a Rey of your life thing.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    that used to happen to me when i first started working out. you are using muscles that you probably haven't used ever/in a long time. you need to go slowly. also - dont' laugh - it's possible that you don't know *how to* walk/run properly and/or you aren't wearing proper/well-fitting shoes. it all ties in together.

how old are your sneakers? you may need new ones - go to a sports store and have them fitted properly. explain to the sales people what you are planning to do and they should be able to help you.

can you go to a gym or go to a trainer for a few sessions? that might help you with your posture/form.

the more important aspect is the food and your relationship with food. I've done that 'lost 10 lbs and gained it back' or 'lost most of the weight andgained it back'. i think it's because we tend to hide behind our weight (like "well, i can't do this or that because i'm too fat"), and then when it starts to come off we panic ("oh no! now i am out of excuses and have to do things with my life!"). that's why it's important to go slowly, to go smartly, and to have a good support system (which you seem to have).
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    Do you have a good pair of walking/running shoes, that was so important to me. I had a lot of trouble at first with my calves and feet just killing me. I invested in a really good pair of shoes and it helped a great deal. Also, if you're not stretching before your walks/run you really need to do that; both before and after.
  • mjmcgove
    mjmcgove Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all of the helpful words everyone!!! even a little bit of motivation goes a long way, and i am ready to make the change in my life...heres to doing it together!
  • dmarien
    dmarien Posts: 58
    Options
    If I do not stretch good before I do my C25K my calves are on fire after about 10 minutes. In addition to the other suggestions make sure you are stretching good before you go for a run or jog. It helps me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

start with walking.... walk and walk and walk a bit each day till you can go farther and quicker and then start jogging.

swimming is also good as its gentle on the joints.

maybe set yourself a 3 month goal with a reward at the end of it... you need to start to build a healthier lifestyle which is a life long change - and rome wasnt built in a day!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Hey Everyone,

I've never really posted in the forums section so this is new to me. My problem is that I am pretty severely overweight... Im 21 and I am 5 foot 5 inches and I am 235 lbs. I have struggled with losing weight all of my life. I will diet and diet and lose maybe 10 lbs, then i just put the weight back on... I can never seem to keep it off, and it really depresses me so I usually put on more weight than i lost. I really don't know what to do. I try and try and its like its all for nothing when the weight keeps coming back, even while I'm dieting. Anyone have this feeling?

When you say "diet and diet" what does that mean? If you're restricting calories and exercising, the weight will go. If it's not going, you need to see a physician or nutritionist. But...I TOTALLY get the issue of weight coming back - which I've experienced multiple times when I start back eating loads of carbs (I'm a "recovering" Coca-cola and chocolate addict). For me, I've learned from my failures and know I need to change my relationship with food but the stinking habits are HARD to break! Do you keep a food and exercise journal? They can be a great tool. You CAN do this and check out some of the other mfp posts - your extra weight is nominal compared to others!