Bulking without lifting?

Options
TheNavet
TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
Is it possible to bulk and build consistent muscle mass without lifting but while doing bodyweight exercices and eventually using a pull up bar?

I... I lost a bit of muscle (a fair bit) as my weight loss took a too sharp corner and now I'm searching to put it back on as well as a bit of fat to get my hormones back going :embarassed: ... And I don't have access to a gym unfortunately (:grumble: ) and the pull up bar only is a future installation...

Also, has any one (well women in the first place but really, male stories are more than welcome too :flowerforyou: ) had success developing muscle with bodyweight exercices? And did you ever engage in a bulk while doing so?

If you need any additional info or stats just tell me! Thanks :smile: !

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am not sure that bodyweight exercises will stress the muscles enough to be able to build muscle, but i may be wrong?

and of course you will need a calorie surplus as well.
  • TheNavet
    Options
    i am not sure that bodyweight exercises will stress the muscles enough to be able to build muscle, but i may be wrong?

and of course you will need a calorie surplus as well.

That's my main issue :/. I've been thinking of handstand push ups and harsher variations of other exercices but I believe I still need to search more. The best would be guidance....

And for the calorie surplus, I know and will naturally do so :wink: . Even though it will have to weight until the end of August as I'm travelling before and would tend to go highly overboard if I bulked while moving :tongue:
  • grandevampire
    Options
    It is definitely POSSIBLE to a certain point, but from what I hear, the difficulty with pure bodyweight is that it's much trickier to increment your load as gradually and steadily. With free weights, you can keep adding small plates, whereas finding a variation that adds only 5 lbs/2.5kg of resistance using bodyweight takes imagination.

For example, progressing from a bodyweight squat to a pistol squat is quite difficult, as it's a huge progression, so in between you may still need to resort to adding some external weight. You can use household items as the weight though (backpack with textbooks? Bricks?).

Also, if you use something like decline push-ups to up the intensity on regular push-ups, the biomechanics change, so conceivably, you aren't working the exact same muscles as in a regular push-up. Not that this is necesarily a problem, just something to keep in mind.

And then at a certain point, when you are already at 100 Luke Skywalker one-handed handstand push-ups, I would see that as the limit of intensity you could generate for that (except by gaining weight to add resistance).
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Have you seen 24 Hour Ghetto Workout? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDCxH88-9X8
  • grandevampire
    Options
    And btw, one-handed handstand push-ups apparently are possible. But 100 might take a while. ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obK2cJ48gZE
  • TheNavet
    Options
    It is definitely POSSIBLE to a certain point, but from what I hear, the difficulty with pure bodyweight is that it's much trickier to increment your load as gradually and steadily. With free weights, you can keep adding small plates, whereas finding a variation that adds only 5 lbs/2.5kg of resistance using bodyweight takes imagination.

For example, progressing from a bodyweight squat to a pistol squat is quite difficult, as it's a huge progression, so in between you may still need to resort to adding some external weight. You can use household items as the weight though (backpack with textbooks? Bricks?).

Also, if you use something like decline push-ups to up the intensity on regular push-ups, the biomechanics change, so conceivably, you aren't working the exact same muscles as in a regular push-up. Not that this is necesarily a problem, just something to keep in mind.

And then at a certain point, when you are already at 100 Luke Skywalker one-handed handstand push-ups, I would see that as the limit of intensity you could generate for that (except by gaining weight to add resistance).

---
    And btw, one-handed handstand push-ups apparently are possible. But 100 might take a while. ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obK2cJ48gZE

Thanks for the info!
    The backpack is definitely a possible solution though... I'll have to take books as I don't have any bricks on hand :P
    I've been using a couple of dumbbells, but will definitely try to lay a hand on free weights!

---

Might indeed :laugh:
  • TheNavet
    Options
    Have you seen 24 Hour Ghetto Workout? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDCxH88-9X8

I haven't but I'll make sure I'll take a look! Thanks!
  • gazrec
    gazrec Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    try resistant bands theyre great for workouts
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Also, you mentioned you have a future project of installing a pull-up bar. I don't know if you are already awesome at pull-ups, but if you can't do one yet (like most women who have not trained to do so), it's great to work up to it.

You can use a chair or high stool to assist to start (they have these specialized bands too, but that would be another piece of equipment to buy). At first you may find you need to push up quite a bit with your legs, but then you can start to let your lower body just "drape" over the chair, then gradually move the chair further and further away from the bar.

Negatives are also good, but were surprisingly hard for me at the beginning. The first time, I think I could only do 3 at the correct speed (taking 6 seconds to descend in a controlled manner). And I couldn't lift my arms properly for a few days after. Lol.
  • Bazfaz
    Bazfaz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should find everything you need here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness

Also search for "You Are Your Own Gym". There is a pretty good iPhone/Android app available.
  • TheNavet
    Options
    Also, you mentioned you have a future project of installing a pull-up bar. I don't know if you are already awesome at pull-ups, but if you can't do one yet (like most women who have not trained to do so), it's great to work up to it.

You can use a chair or high stool to assist to start (they have these specialized bands too, but that would be another piece of equipment to buy). At first you may find you need to push up quite a bit with your legs, but then you can start to let your lower body just "drape" over the chair, then gradually move the chair further and further away from the bar.

Negatives are also good, but were surprisingly hard for me at the beginning. The first time, I think I could only do 3 at the correct speed (taking 6 seconds to descend in a controlled manner). And I couldn't lift my arms properly for a few days after. Lol.

I've been able to do some, two being my best on good days (pretty lame, I know :tongue: ), but the occasions I had to train on something similar to a bar were (and are) rather scarce. As soon as I can get my hands on an adequate bar, I'll make sure to up my amount of reps though! (I'd love to be able to do 10 in a row :smooched: )

Never heard of negatives! Just looked them up, seems quite easy but I guess the trap lies there!
  • TheNavet
    Options
    You should find everything you need here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness

Also search for "You Are Your Own Gym". There is a pretty good iPhone/Android app available.

Thank you!
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Charles Bronson,

yes the criminal,

built some serious muscle and fitness just doing body weight exercises.

check out his stuff on solitary confinement fitness,

he still holds the record for full press ups in 2 minutes, at a little over 170 , he was 53 when he completed it ...
  • stephenidea
    Options
    Its definitely doable. Before I started bench pressing I started off with daily push up exercises. As the number I could do increased so did the size and shape of my chest. Its all about breaking the muscle and then having enough calories in your system to help with repair and growth. If you are focusing on body weight exercises you really will have to give it your all and exercise until failure. I started off with a maximum push up rep range of about 15 - 20 3 - 5 sets and steadily improved, now im on a rep range of 50 - 60 3-5 sets. Just keep at it and I'm sure you will get the growth you desire!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Lifting iron isn't what makes you get bigger and stronger, it's resistance training. Lifting is a form of resistance training. So progressively challenging body weight training on the right diet can work. Or you can lift odd objects like rocks, logs, friends, hay bales, whatever.

Lifting is more convenient by far, but there are plenty of ways to accomplish the same thing. Looks for pics of Herschel Walker or Hannibal the King for examples
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely possible. I hate when people sell body weight training short.
    I do only body weight exercises and there are a million ways to make them progresseively more diffiult.
    If you work hard and eat to bulk, you will certainly have no problems doing so.
  • TheNavet
    Options
    Thanks to the four of you, all of your comments are definitely pertinent and encouraging :flowerforyou:

DavPul - you definitely are pointing out something I had forgotten: the fact that it's about resistance. Thanks A LOT!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    agree with Davpul and others. It's the resistance part that matters. If you can do more than about 15 reps of any exercise, you will be moving into muscular endurance rep ranges so will need to increase the difficulty of the exercise to bring the rep ranges lower again.
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options
    Is it possible to bulk and build consistent muscle mass without lifting but while doing bodyweight exercices and eventually using a pull up bar?

I... I lost a bit of muscle (a fair bit) as my weight loss took a too sharp corner and now I'm searching to put it back on as well as a bit of fat to get my hormones back going :embarassed: ... And I don't have access to a gym unfortunately (:grumble: ) and the pull up bar only is a future installation...

Also, has any one (well women in the first place but really, male stories are more than welcome too :flowerforyou: ) had success developing muscle with bodyweight exercices? And did you ever engage in a bulk while doing so?

If you need any additional info or stats just tell me! Thanks :smile: !

absolutely! Your body doesn't know if you have a dumbbell in your hand. If the muscle is working against resistance your doing it right. When I work with people I have have moms or busy women to home routines. I basically give them variations of circuit training. Some have built SUBSTANTIAL muscle with a good diet. "Substantial" meaning in a good, feminine way...not like freaky female bodybuilder way :)

Here is an example:

15 walking lunges each leg
    30 crunches/situps
    15 pushups
    20 squats
    15 reps row with dumbbells or bands
    15 reps shoulder press with db or bands

So obviously I adjust the numbers based on the shape of the person if they have never done any resistance work I would not do the above...they would not be able to walk for a month.

For the above I'd have them go through it once no rest....take 2 to 5 minutes then do it again. The good thing is stuff like this and variations of it allow you to easily add resistance and are quick. If the squats are too easy add a backpack with stuff in it, hold something over your head, get bands, do more reps. You can do "girl" push-ups (no offense :)) and then regular and then weight on your back.

You can also go through the routine more than twice eventually people can get through it with weight on all exercises like 3-4 times.