New to MFP, determined to lose 3 stone on Keto!

Options
Hi all, new to the site but finding it massively useful so far! Trying a Keto diet, (only the 2nd diet I've ever been on,) aiming to lose 3 stone - wish me luck!

Replies

• harley1968
    harley1968 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Can I ask 'what's a Keto diet'
  • tomoswilding
    tomoswilding Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's a low-carb, high-protein + fat diet. It helps your liver produce keytones which enable your body to use fat for fuel instead of carbs/glucose.
  • catrionaprovan
    catrionaprovan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good luck, once you get into the habit of logging your meals, you soon find out where all the hidden calories that you were eating, which makes it easier to lose weight
  • harley1968
    harley1968 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thank you for telling me and good luck :smile:
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calories in and calories out. You'll lose weight even if you eat just carbs, as long as you're in a calorie deficit. But good luck anyway. :flowerforyou:
  • yokleigh
    yokleigh Posts: 23
    Options
    Good luck! I lost a good deal once on a similar diet. Looking back on it, I wished I'd added weights / strength training while
    I was doing. A good deal of what I lost was muscle. Please don't make that mistake! :)
  • tomoswilding
    Options
    I'm with you there, I'm making sure that my protein intake is monitored closely to make sure I don't lose muscle mass, and I'll be doing some light weight training. I've really researched and looked into the science of it and I'm hopeful that I'll see good results in 6-8 months.
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest a lifestyle change instead of a diet? Diet is what you eat every day of your life, not a finite period. If you treat it like this then even if you achieve your goals you will soon see them slipping away again. I don't disagree with initially changing what you eat to kick start your change, but I'd advise thinking longer term and in a more sustainable way than jamming your body with protein and fat and nothing else until you have lost 3 stone. There are no short fixes or end points to fitness and health, but if you log what you eat in a balanced and measured way, do some (any) exercise and be consistent then you will become what you want. Sorry to be so negative about your post, I really hope you do achieve your goals
  • tomoswilding
    Options
    Yea that's part of my plan too, I'm looking at this as a long-term thing. The diet is sort of my 'springboard' into changing my attitudes towards eating. I figure that if I spend time logging calories, learning about the nutritional content of the food I eat this can only help me in the future.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest a lifestyle change instead of a diet? Diet is what you eat every day of your life, not a finite period. If you treat it like this then even if you achieve your goals you will soon see them slipping away again. I don't disagree with initially changing what you eat to kick start your change, but I'd advise thinking longer term and in a more sustainable way than jamming your body with protein and fat and nothing else until you have lost 3 stone. There are no short fixes or end points to fitness and health, but if you log what you eat in a balanced and measured way, do some (any) exercise and be consistent then you will become what you want. Sorry to be so negative about your post, I really hope you do achieve your goals

I agree! I'm doing keto but need to for health reasons, so for me, it has to be for life.

It's a tough row to hoe :ohwell: but I'm handling it as best as I can. There are no cheat days, and no cycling for me either. I've been keto-adapted for a couple of months now at least & I'm feeling pretty good :wink: I can only tolerate up to 30 g of carbs a day with weight training 3 x wkly and daily walks of about 60 minutes 2 x daily.

Weight just fell off & and I don't count calories anymore. High fat, mod protein & low carb is not the easiest to maintain, if you can tolerate carbs well, lately, I'm falling into the camp of 'there are easier ways to lose weight' :blushing:

Good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:

ETA: I don't mean to be negative either, just being honest...mk? =)
  • tomoswilding
    Options
    You sound damn positive actually! Great that it's made such a difference to you, and that's good advice :)
  • hookilau
    Options
    :laugh: Good for you Tom!...a good attitude will get you far, promise! :drinker:
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you haven't found them yet, there is a keto group you can join as well as a Paleo/Primal group and a low carb group. Search for those, there are great recipes and it's a great community of folks.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

High five!!! I second this!!!

Good luck... Just remember this phrase and say it to yourself often...YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Always remember there is no try, only do. As long as you keep positive and KNOW that you can do this, you'll succeed!!!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Keto, Atkins, Dukan, etc.....Eh, I find it all too much. I just go with IIFYM. Eat enough protein and fat, and let everything else fall where they may.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    good luck on your diet tomoswilding, I'm personally not a huge fan of those kind of diets but I hope it works out for you.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Personally for me, limiting myself or telling myself no I can't have something, is the first way to sabotage myself. I believe it's all in moderation. I won't stop myself from having a cookie or garlic knot or anything if I want to, I will stop myself from eating a dozen though! I believe for me, I have to have that balance.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I hope you're diabetic... hooray for ketoacidosis.

Seriously, I hope if you ARE diabetic, that you would know better.
  • hookilau
    Options
    I hope you're diabetic... hooray for ketoacidosis.

Seriously, I hope if you ARE diabetic, that you would know better.

wait...what?