My running isn't improving

Options
I'm doing couch to 10k. I've got to the point where C25K stops - I can run for 30 minutes but I'm slow so that's not 5k for me.

And now I'm just not improving. I just can't seem to run a minute longer, and I'm not getting faster either. I'm not really concerned about speed for now, I just want to increase my time/distance. It's been three or four weeks at this stage, running 4-5 times per week (two days running, one day rest) and some days I'm not even managing the thirty minutes - I get a mile and already have to take a short walk break. Every third run I break away from the app and just do a short run of 1min sprint/1 min jog/1 min walk intervals.

Any ideas why I'm going backwards instead of forwards? It's hot but I run very early when it's cool. I keep hydrated. I eat 1500-1600 cals a day and I'm losing at just 1lb per week so not being excessive.

Am I missing something obvious? Is this just something people go through and I'll break through it eventually? I'm willing to put the work in, it just feels like I suddenly hit this wall of overwhelming tiredness and I can't struggle on for more than a couple of minutes after this.

Replies

• BreytonJay
    BreytonJay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep? Fatigue will really slow you down. Other than that I would try easing up a bit. Maybe only run every other day, like 3 times a week. It seems like your body might just be tired. Great job so far and keep up the good work!
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You might have a point about sleep. I have a child that still wakes 2-3 times per night but there isn't much I can do about that for now!

Thank you for your reply. It's comforting just to have someone tell me I'm doing ok!
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep? Fatigue will really slow you down. Other than that I would try easing up a bit. Maybe only run every other day, like 3 times a week. It seems like your body might just be tired. Great job so far and keep up the good work!

I run 3 times a week a lot because my legs just wont seem to do it 2 days in a row. I walk or hike on the in between days to still get moving without pushing as hard. I have always run this pattern, but after 3 years of no running, and just starting running again this past month...I commend you, 30 min without stopping is a success, no matter how fast or slow. Another thing to try might be to start increasing your goal...so you have made it to 5k, what about looking for a 10k training plan? Spreading it out or starting a new plan might renew your motivation and help you get over any mental hurdles that might be holding you back.
  • Montarosa456
    Montarosa456 Posts: 133
    Options
    Running is something that took a long time for me to click with..
    I know I'm not alone and some people just naturally run fast and comfortably and others it takes more time.
    The main thing that increased my speed and time was just relaxing, not worrying about the clock and reducing the pace when need be and increasing when I felt like I could push the tempo..
    I've been trying to increase my speed lately and If I clock watch and constantly think 'faster - faster' I'll burn out but if I just use someone else as a pacer or run intervals faster for times that feel comfortable I'm able to move faster..
    Try different routes, change a playlist (if you listen to music), run with a friend who's slightly faster..run until your body says no..not the clock..try 1.5miles slightly faster one day..take a break and aim for 3.5miles the next (or 3.1miles..whatever works..)
    You'll get there :)
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would just stick with it, don't worry about the speed, maybe try slowing down if anything and that will help you go further, it's stamia your after, therefore you need to slow your speed to increase your distance. Try to have a rest day between each run as this can help also, make sure your have plenty of fluid before a run and during and make sure what you are eating gives you enough energy for the run and like the person before suggested relax and concentrate on your breathing.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I think you should back off the running a bit to only 3 days a week. Until you get past the 10K distance, running more frequently isn't doing much for you. Make one of those runs a longer, slow run. The shorter runs should be a bit faster with some fast/slow intervals or hills. You need to mix it up to get over that plateau. The long run is probably the most important run of the week for building endurance & speed. Also make sure you are getting enough good-quality carbs (around 60% of your macros).
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    A big thing will be your mind. Maybe try a different route etc and not focus on the distance or speed just run because it's nice :)

It's important that you don't get too hung up on things too early on else it can become a barrier. I find that if I need to stop I ask myself why - why are you needing to stop?

Are you legs aching? - Yes, well you'll still be using them whether you walk or run it'll just be quicker if you run.
    Are you struggling with your breathing? - If yes, you need to concentrate on that, and not necessarily walk but slow your pace.

The only time I stop is if I become injured.

If it's not your legs and it's not your lungs then it's in your head. Keep going xx
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Try taking a few extra days off in a row and then eating a bit more when you're ready to run again. If you were already in a deficit while running 5x per week and now you're trying to increase the running while consuming the same calories it could be a case of your body being drained.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    (Currently I am working back up to it) When I started running before. I was a walk/run for about 2 months! But each time it got better and better and finally I was running. Granted my husband could walk faster but I was doing it. So stick with it. And what has been mentioned about sleep... that could be it in a nutshell!

Sorry about your kiddo not sleeping through the night. Been there done that and it WILL get better!!!!!!
  • Tan43
    Tan43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Are you fuelling your body enough for runs? Any form of endurance training requires energy that can come from eating enough to sustain the exercise.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Ditch the 4th and 5th day! I've been running since 2010, granted my mileage is more, but I can't add a 5th day right now even if I lower it from the week before. It's the level of fatigue it creates, once you get to a 5th day your muscles have a lot less time to recover.

So scale back to 3 runs and do everything normal for a week and then try to add a minute or two on the next week and go from there.

Don't add speed work or hills, you need to build up your running base first. At this point that would just increase your risk of injury.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner, too.

My running efficiency changes depending on what muscles are activated during my runs:

Quads only - I max out my speed quick and I'm going to tire quickly ... but at a very slow speed, this is a "I can run for hours at this pace".

Quads, glutes, and flexors (front hips) - I run much more quickly, but also max out my endurance pretty fast. This is my "sprint" style for now, and I'm working on building my efficiency.

I read "Run Less, Run Faster" and it is helping. Each month or so my recovery "pace" is a bit faster than it was before. The authors recommend one hill workout, one speed workout, and one "long" run each week. However, each run is hard! I guess with this, the long run is the easy run. :huh:

If you want to keep up your running frequency, you probably need to make a couple of those runs really easy. Your "recovery" runs, where your body is not stressed.
  • NathanielUK
    NathanielUK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    is it your mind or your body stopping you? Are you thinking about it too much? Do you listen to music? Same playlist? Switch it up. Get into a good Routine. Walk 10 minutes before you run, make sure you stretch etc. and Try some new trainers.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Try taking a few extra days off in a row and then eating a bit more when you're ready to run again. If you were already in a deficit while running 5x per week and now you're trying to increase the running while consuming the same calories it could be a case of your body being drained.

This.

Rest days are as important as your training days. So is fuel.

Also-
    I am not familiar with the program. Do you have weeks where you scale back the running? Most running programs build for 3 weeks gradually then have one week where the mileage is lower to give your body a chance to rest. If yours doesn't, I would consider doing this.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I can't run more than 1.5 miles at a time and I've been running for four months. I run as long as I can then walk for a 60 second count. I was getting discouraged but I've come to terms with the fact that I'm just not a long distance runner. Here's my running routine: Run 1 mile, walk for 60 second count, run 1/2 mile, walk for 60 second count, run 1 mile, walk for 60 second count, then run 1/2 mile. This is how I run my 5K's and I've yet to come in last! My last race I finished in 32:28 minutes, 4th place for my age group!! This is me and how I run!! Just remember your lapping everybody sitting on their couch!!!!

One little side note, are you getting enough protein!!
  • 1der_Nana
    1der_Nana Posts: 41
    Options
    Yoga, velo (or spin), and strength training helped me improve my form, and stamina, especially with cadence. Am not fast. But am certainly not the last one to cross the fininsh line... most importantly, no injury, and minimal fatigue.

Hope this helps! :)

Nana

Xx
  • Stoobot
    Stoobot Posts: 1
    Options
    Try joining a local running club. Great company, you'll be mixing with 'better' runners and people around your ability who will push you to go a little harder/further/faster. You'll also be introduced to coaches, interval sessions and track work - invaluable to improving performance.
    Don't be put of by the faster guys club members come in all shapes and sizes, speeds and abilities. Keep running, enjoy the time on your feet and love every run - even the ones you don't at the time... :)
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It sounds counter productive but consider taking a couple of days off and letting your muscles repair a bit more.

Other things that helped me are, strength training, abdominal work, running cross country and just not stopping at the same distance. With increased distance, my speed improved.

It's super important to me to get the pre run food right so energy is being released at the right time for my run and slowly throughout it. I find a complex carb, protein and snack containing fats is beneficial. I.e. An egg sandwich 2 hours before the start of a run.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I agree that you should decrease your running to 3x a week or every other day. When I finished C25K, I was like you....I could run without stopping for 30 minutes but that didn't bring me to 5K. Getting to 4 miles was the hardest jump ever. I thought that I would never be able to run 4 miles (a year later, I am doing 10-11 miles). When you are struggling to increase your endurance, just slow down. Totally give up any pre-conceived pace. Make your next run "I will run 35 (or even 32) minutes without stopping no matter what". Celebrate each success. Do you track your workouts? I have often felt that I was not improving but when I looked at the data, I would see the improvements. If you go 0.05 miles further in a workout, that IS an improvement. It's all about baby steps. Much of running is mental. If you can run for 30 minutes, then you CAN run for 35 minutes. Your brain just doesn't want to. When you feel like walking after x amount of time, tell yourself that it will feel better in 5 minutes and you only have to do 5 minutes more. You'll probably feel after those 5 minutes, that you can do it. Or, refuse to allow anyone to see you change to walking (I can't stop running now, because that person up there will see that I quit and I can't let that happen so I will just run until I pass them). Just keep making little goals for yourself (I'll run one more block, to that next tree, etc) and then make another little goal. Before you know it, you will have surpassed your longest time running and/or your longest distance. When I started, the first 5-15 minutes was pure hell. I had to keep reminding myself that it would get easier once I got past that point.

Hang in there and keep on running!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Cut back to every other day. Beginning runners usually are not fit enough, and their muscles don't repair quickly enough, to handle the strain of consecutive running days.

Also, slow down. If you get to a mile and you can't go any further because you are out of breath, SLOW DOWN. You should be running at a conversational pace. If this means you are running at a shuffle like pace, so be it.

Lastly, drop the sprint, jog, walk routine. At this stage of your running career, that is doing more harm than good. Those sprint sections are tearing down muscle tissue to the extent that it probably needs two days to repair, it's causing lactate acid buildup in your muscles making your more sore and it isn't contributing to your aerobic fitness, which is what you should be working on right now.