Fruit

Options
Hi,

I'm a new MFP user and have to say, i didn't realise how many calories i was putting away until i started using it (no wonder i haven't been losing weight).

My question is if anyone is able to answer is Fruit, i tend to eat a lot of fruit during the day, but if i eat the amount of fruit i normally eat which is typically.

3 Banana
2 Satsuma
2 Pears
Grapes and possibly a nectarine or 2

This always will take me over the suggested daily sugar intake but thought if i get hungry its better to eat fruit than snack on crisp and chocolate etc.

Am i eating to much fruit or should i ignore the daily intake of sugar as it is natural sugars?

Any comments welcome :happy:

Tanya

Replies

• adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yes it is better to get the sugar from natural sources, and the MFP goal is low for sugar. However, I would personally be more concerned with the carb count of all that fruit, there is nothing wrong with carbs, but i imagine you will be using a lot of your carb goal alone before factoring in your meals. I'd say have more variation of snacks to help hit your macros, some nuts for fat, Greek yogurt for protein etc. don't get rid of all the fruit by any means, just strive for more balance among your snacks.

But this all depends whether you re concerned with macros or if you are just looking to hit your calorie goal?
  • TanyaD67
    TanyaD67 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for your reply :happy:

I hadn't even thought about the carb side of things for fruit !

I am fairly new to all this macros and calorie counting :blushing: but i suppose we all have to start somewhere.

Do you have any suggestions of what nuts i should eat?
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    For the nuts, I typically go for cashews, pecans or pistachios (they are my fav). But the important thing to remember is most of the nuts you buy have added oil to them, Blue Diamond and Planters are now making nuts with no added oil and salt. Go for that... no need to add oil and salt if you can stay away from it.

I also will make a greek yogurt smoothie to help with my macros, helps with the protein, and a little bit of fresh fruit in it goes a very long way. This is very filling!
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    all nuts are good :) but I notice a lot of people eat almonds
  • ravendart
    ravendart Posts: 1
    Options
    yes I am in the same boat, just started this calorie counting and have been totally shocked by the amount of sugar I get from fruit, I knew it had sugars in it but everyday just eating a small amount of fruit takes me over {2 peaches and an apple}. I really love fruit so I am unhappy at cutting it back from my diet.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition where sugar/carbs are a problem, don't worry and enjoy your fruit.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Track your calories :) if they fit your daily calorie goals eat them , if they exceed your "carbohydrates" then cut out some fruit
  • TanyaD67
    Options
    WOW thanks for all the responses guys :happy:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Recent research indicates too much fruit is indeed a problem. Fructose is digested differently from other sugars so recent recommendations are to eat 1 or two servings of fruit a day. Try replacing some of your daily fruits with vegetables.

Here's a fairly straightforward article on the topic: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1256509/Eating-fruit-make-fat.html

Too much fruit can affect your blood lipid profiles and cause your triglycerides to go up. The doctor recently told my husband to cut way back on fruit to get his triglycerides under control.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    For the nuts, I typically go for cashews, pecans or pistachios (they are my fav). But the important thing to remember is most of the nuts you buy have added oil to them, Blue Diamond and Planters are now making nuts with no added oil and salt. Go for that... no need to add oil and salt if you can stay away from it.

I also will make a greek yogurt smoothie to help with my macros, helps with the protein, and a little bit of fresh fruit in it goes a very long way. This is very filling!

Nuts don't have "added oil" to them. That's ridiculous. Do you mean they're often cooked in oil? That makes more sense... In any case, OP, for nuts, you want to eat raw nuts. They're all good, but just make sure you weigh them out. It's easy to end up eating an additional 300 calories of walnuts or cashews, for example.

There seems to be a trend on here to tell people that they can eat as much fruit as they like and not worry about it. To be honest, that sounds like an awful lot of fruit. The fructose in fruit might be "natural," but it's still sugar. I'd be inclined to cut down on the amount of fruit, but that's just me...
  • eversosquidly
    eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What surprised me was the type of fruit you're eating. There's NOTHING wrong with eating fruit, but grapes and bananas are two that have the most sugar content. What I would suggest, in my personal opinion (and with a lot of research via Pinterest articles hahahaha), is substituting out the TYPE of fruit you eat. Instead of grapes, maybe strawberries? Or blackberries. Or blueberries! Make sure you measure how much you're eating, of course, but berries are better than grapes sugar wise, I believe. And maybe try not to have a banana every day. Maybe trade for an apple?

I know that when I want a snack, and I measure mine out per day, I get a small pink lady apple (they're SO sweet and delicious) and cut it into thin slices. And then I measure out a tbsp of almond butter or peanut butter. And I make both last until the very end. I could spent 30 minutes eating a small apple. I also portion out sunflower seeds and almonds into ziplock baggies so that when they're done, I don't keep eating. If you're worried about eating too many snacks, you could always pre-plan and pre-pack your snacks into a ziplock bag and write on them so you know how much to eat per day. :)

Good luck!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition where sugar/carbs are a problem, don't worry and enjoy your fruit.

^^^ This

Eat the fruit. Stay under your total carbohydrates (and calories) and don't stress! Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Nuts don't have "added oil" to them. That's ridiculous. Do you mean they're often cooked in oil? That makes more sense... In any case, OP, for nuts, you want to eat raw nuts. They're all good, but just make sure you weigh them out. It's easy to end up eating an additional 300 calories of walnuts or cashews, for example.

There seems to be a trend on here to tell people that they can eat as much fruit as they like and not worry about it. To be honest, that sounds like an awful lot of fruit. The fructose in fruit might be "natural," but it's still sugar. I'd be inclined to cut down on the amount of fruit, but that's just me...

Ewww!

OP: You don't have to eat raw food. Some people choose to do that, but it isn't necessary.
  • TanyaD67
    Options
    Thanks again everyone, its great to have some this much information on the subject, when writing this i never thought i would have had any replies.

I will be putting the nuts defo into practice (i have already gone out and brought some) and cutting back on the amount of fruit i eat and the types of fruit i do eat.
  • rachelakai2
    rachelakai2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Almonds!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Ewww!

OP: You don't have to eat raw food. Some people choose to do that, but it isn't necessary.

Umm...I wasn't advocating a raw food diet. Not sure how you got that from my post.