I think I'm dehydrated.

Options
I've cut pop out of my diet. I had 1 yesterday, but none the day before that, and none today. Which is excellent for me, That used to be all I ever drank (literally). But I think i'm getting dehydrated. I drink as much water as I can but sometimes it's only 2 glasses. I just don't seem as thirsty. Now I'm not saying pop was better for me because I know it wasn't. But I just never felt like I was dehydrated before. Right now my lips are very dry and starting to crack. I've tried drinking it ice cold, tried it straight from the tap. tried it cold, warm, you name it. It just makes my tummy hurt if I drink too much of it!

How can I get more water without feeling sick?

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    try crystal light or putting a little lemon in the water. Maybe that will be a little more tolerable to yous tummy while you make the transition.
  • parksam6
    parksam6 Posts: 16
    Options
    i put a little bit of lemon in my water, and keep it easy to reach for. it is hard if you have a busy lifestyle or just dont have a taste for water, but the more you drink it, the more of a desire you will have for water. dont quit!
  • silver12176
    silver12176 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are trying to drink too much of it at a time. Maybe just always have a glass or a bottle of water all the time. Just drink through out the day. I seem to need to drink a lot when I eat. So I usually easily get in 2 glasses of water at a meal if I have it there.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Don't drink it all in one go.

If you used to drink soda in 20oz plastic bottles (and haven't turned them back in for the 5 cents yet), collect 5 of them, wash them, then fill them with water -- if you get through all 5 bottles, that'll be your 8 x 8 for the day.

Sometimes having a bottle of water is easier to deal with -- you can put a cap on it and carry it around with you and you don't have to worry about it getting knocked over and making a mess.

Others have found bendy straws to be the perfect incentive for drinking more water 'cause who doesn't agree that drinking is a lot more fun when done through a straw! :happy:
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    Try keeping a water bottle always with you and constantly full. Drink as often as possible and if you need some flavor theres always different flavors of crystal light. But you've got to drink more because you are dehydrated and that can become dangerous.
  • lifencolor
    Options
    u r having withdrawal- from the sugar and probably some detox as well increase a little each day with the goal being
    half of your body weight in ounces. Ex. 100lbs= 50 oz H2o. Lemon/ lime is the best thing you can add because it will cut the acidity in your body therefor helping you to detox.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    As well as gradually increasing water through the suggestions above, you could also make sure to incorporate water rich foods into your diet, like watermelon, veggies and the like, here is a link to an article about it :)

http://www.bewellbuzz.com/general/water-rich-foods-in-your-diet/
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Lemon/ lime is the best thing you can add because it will cut the acidity in your body therefor helping you to detox.

Drinking acid (citric acid in citrus fruit) cuts acidity?
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend Crystal Light and flavored waters! They are yummy!

One thing I do to try to make sure I drink enough water: when I go to a restaurant I will say, "Okay, I have to drink two hole glasses of water before I leave", and then throughout the course of my meal, I can do it.
  • bevkaysmith
    bevkaysmith Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have found a cup that looks like a togo cup ( with lid and straw) at Walmart.
    I drink more out of a straw. This is the best way for me to drink just water.
    Bonus I have found if the drink is COLD( the colder the better) your body burns
    extra calories to warm the drink up.

I do have to use Propel sometimes to help replace me liquids from sweating.
    Hope all works out. God bless
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    The key to staying well hydrated is to drink water throughout the day. If you gulp down a whole cup at a time it may make your stomach uncomfortable - but keep a water bottle with you and try to take small drinks throughout the day. I have a goal to get through my 1st waterbottle (it holds 4 cups) by lunchtime, my 2nd by the time I leave work, and my 3rd by bedtime. It's much easier when I remember to spread it out!
  • starheart24
    Options
    Try adding crystal light to the water! That's what I do! I can't stand the taste of plain water... no matter what I do i hate the taste of plain water..
  • Buccinator
    Options
    I naturally drink a lot of water, but even I get tired of it sometimes. I do like lemon in my water. And I love dropping some ice cubes into my water and a frozen peach slice or a couple frozen raspberries. They add a little flavor and then hey! prize at the bottom of the box! Even though I do drink a lot of water naturally, if I find I'm not drinking enough, I do push myself by saying "Okay, you have have this yummy (yogurt, rice cake, Laughing Cow, whatever) but you've gotta eat it with a whole glass of water..." And I do think straws help. My teeth are sensitive to cold, so I don't really ever try drinking without the straws, but I definitely believe I would drink more with a straw than without.

Wishing you lots of luck and water thirst. :- )
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Have you tried squeezing some lemon or lime in it? Or a slice of cucumber?

(Apologies if others already mentioned this.)
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I swear by club soda - it's just carbonated water and a lot more fun to drink than still water :) I love the fizz of the carbonation. I drink mine plain, but you can add a slice or squeeze of your favorite fruit, a splash of juice, etc. to add flavor. I make my daughter OJ spritzers with it. She calls it bubble juice!
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Why not keep a pitcher of water in the fridge that has a few slices of orange or lime or lemon, or some other citrus fruit you like? Then pour your water from it throughout the day, even filling water bottles with it. You could even use some of this to make ice with, so that as you drink your water with ice, you continue to get flavor added in.

Mostly, you are going to just have to get used to it. Try giving yourself weekly water goals. One week drink x amount everyday, next week one more and so on. Your body needs to adjust to being better hydrated, just like your mind has to adjust to drinking it. I actually find that plain water can taste almost sweet at times, especially after a workout :D
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    long shot- but are you eatting enough (healthy) fats? When my cousin went Vegan she wasn't getting enough fat in her diet and she experienced chapped lips, dry skin, etc. She started taking an omega-3 or flax pill to help her body hold on to the liquids she was consuming.

Just in case it's not related to the soda :-)
  • Hughes39
    Hughes39 Posts: 169
    Options
    ok so how many oz per cup is the "rule"? i know its 8 glasses a day....my cups are big cups. well not giant but just the big tall ones. not sure how many oz though.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Whenever I try to drink the recommended glasses of water I fail. Why? I can't drink water from a glass. I switched to using a bottle (which I wash and reuse!) and this allows me to drink MORE than what my goal was. I don't even need to spruce it up with flavors anymore! I also put some water in and lay it diagonal in the freezer. this way when I put in the water it stays cool longer and the angle seems to keep all the water cool. Just a suggestion. Good Luck.
  • bebby
    bebby Posts: 18
    Options
    This sounds totally... gross. But my goal each day is to have clear urine.... (unless I take my vitamins). When I'm peeing clear, I know that I'm fully hydrated. So, I drink water with that goal in mind. It works for me!!