Slim Fast

Options
Any feedback on replacing a meal like lunch with a shake??

Replies

• JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Go for a quality protein powder to make meal replacement shakes, avoid the premade meal replacement drinks like slim fast, special K etc - they are loaded with sugar and not much protein. In my experience they do not satisfy for long.

Right now I am addicted to a chunky monkey shake, for breakfast every day, sometimes for dinner if I don't feel like cooking:

1 small banana
    1 TBS natural Peanut Butter (I use Laura Scudders)
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I am using Body Fortress Whey protein - you can get big tubs of it at Walmart for around $15. there are many different ones on the market, some may be of better quality but this is what I can afford.)
    1 cup almond milk
    a few ice cubes.
    Blend until smooth.
    Very Reeses PB cup-ish :D

I personally need a lunch that needs chewing, like big salads, or I will tend to have the munchies all afternoon, so a shake for breakfast or dinner works better for me.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Here's the nutritional breakdown on the Chunky Monkey:

Calories 375
    Carbs 34 g
    Fat 22g
    Protein 35 grams

I also make a lot of protein shakes using berries and skipping PB, the fat content of course is much lower, but sometimes it is not quite as filling, and I want some healthy fats in the course of my day.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I use Raw Protein meal replacement by Garden of life and replace breakfast or lunch with half a scoop of powder and 1 cup of almond milk.
  • BeckyK1976
    BeckyK1976 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    TMI - be careful, I was doing them for a meal and they made me extremely constipated. Everyone is different though...good luck :-)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Try not to drink your calories, especially when eating on a deficit. Whole foods keep you full, liquid calories keep you hungry...
  • foxys_mum
    foxys_mum Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I mostly cook from scratch but occasionally do replace either breakfast or lunch with a slimfast. I really like the latte flavour and find it fills me enough for one meal. My hubby also uses it after a long run as a recovery drink.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    TMI - be careful, I was doing them for a meal and they made me extremely constipated. Everyone is different though...good luck :-)

I was opposite :tongue: lol
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Shakes are fine, but I like mine with a little more protein. I drink Calnaturale shakes -- chocolate is my favorite. They're pretty high in protein (although not high enough for a post weight-lifting shake), taste great, are full of good nutrients, and sweetened with Stevia. I'm trying to stay away from artificial sweeteners.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Any feedback on replacing a meal like lunch with a shake??

Don't use slim fast..............if you are going to do a meal replacement, invest in some quality protein. Not some sugar laden crap passed off as a protein shake.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Last I checked they contained Hydrogenated Oils. Trans fats = bad :(:(

Like someone else suggested, I would make your own protein shake or bars for on the go!
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I use Raw Protein meal replacement by Garden of life and replace breakfast or lunch with half a scoop of powder and 1 cup of almond milk.

I use this one too.......love it
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Slim Slow. It's likely to stay off longer. :wink:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a meal replacement drink teaches you nothing about having healthy balanced diet or portion control.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    why not just eat in a deficit ...???

every once in a while if I am in a pinch I have a protein shake for lunch or something and then two to three hours later I am starving..

You are better off eating real food and creating a deficit on your own..you will feel fuller and lose weight...
  • dragoness07
    dragoness07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    a meal replacement drink teaches you nothing about having healthy balanced diet or portion control.

LOL - I agree with that. However, if you do fancy some healthy Smoothie/milkshake for lunch you have to ensure that it will give you enough cal and that it will satisfy you. I am a great smoothie fan, especially green smoothies.

Orange - Strawberry Smoothie

Juice of I Orange
    100 - 150 gr of Strawberries
    1 small Banana
    200 ml of unsweetened Soya milk
    60 gr cooked Quinoa

Cal - 290
    Carb - 56
    Fat - 3
    Fiber - 10
    Protein - 10

Everything is natural and absolutely yammi with a very balanced intake of nutrition.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Go for a quality protein powder to make meal replacement shakes, avoid the premade meal replacement drinks like slim fast, special K etc - they are loaded with sugar and not much protein. In my experience they do not satisfy for long.

Right now I am addicted to a chunky monkey shake, for breakfast every day, sometimes for dinner if I don't feel like cooking:

1 small banana
    1 TBS natural Peanut Butter (I use Laura Scudders)
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I am using Body Fortress Whey protein - you can get big tubs of it at Walmart for around $15. there are many different ones on the market, some may be of better quality but this is what I can afford.)
    1 cup almond milk
    a few ice cubes.
    Blend until smooth.
    Very Reeses PB cup-ish :D

I personally need a lunch that needs chewing, like big salads, or I will tend to have the munchies all afternoon, so a shake for breakfast or dinner works better for me.
    I agree!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i prefer shakeology!!

lol, just kidding. i want pizza.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    ugh.... not slim fast. artificial JUNK. Look for an actual healthy meal replacement shake with minimal chemicals. I drink shakeology.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast left me shaky and starving an hour later because there is SO MUCH sugar in it! I also have a sucralose (splenda) intolerance so it really messed up my stomach. I prefer to make my own shake made with whey protein with only real sugar. I use Isopure Naturals Chocolate mixed with 1/2 banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, a cup of milk and a couple ice cubes.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The only reason Slim Fast or any shake might work for weight loss is because you're eating/drinking fewer calories. Take the number of calories in your shake and find some real food for the same. You can get a lot of veggies with some lean meat for the same calorie cost and be satisfied as well as get some actual nutrition.