Dumbbells vs. Resistance Bands

Options
I have adjustable dumbbells - the highest they go is 7 lbs each. I dont particularly have room in a 1bd apartment to keep buying dumbbells of higher weights, so I was wondering if resistance bands were a good alternative? One set i was looking at is http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/prosource/xtreme-3-stackable-resistance-band-set.html?MCID=CG-PLA-US&mr:trackingCode=63C9C63A-9682-E211-8D02-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=29751538146&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=41325473466

Replies

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about free weight dumbbells? Something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-40-lb-Adjustable-Dumbbell-Set/21672511 where you can just buy more plates if necessary. You can find these types of thing very easily and cheaply on craigslist. They stack so they don't take up much room.

I have used bands, and they just don't compare with weights. Weights are better in almost every way. It's easier to measure progress, and I find them much more effective.
  • gazrec
    gazrec Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i do bootcamp 4x a week, we use resistance bands and they are ace, i would recommend them even brought some for home use, theres 4-5 different colours so you can work your way thru them paid £15 from ebay
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands and dumbbells are complimentary tools. I have a set of Power Blocks (you can see them at Powerblock.com - I have the classic 50 set which takes up the space of an old boom box), as well as a set of resistance bands - they go from 15 lbs resistance to 200 lbs (I bought mine through a company called Resistance Band Training - they have great online material).

There are a number of exercises, like some types of squats, rows, triceps and biceps work that you can do with either the dumbbells or resistance bands. Resistance bands can be great for adding difficulty to pushups, bear crawls, or even walking lunges.

Go take a look at Nerd Fitness (nerdfitness.com) for a lot of great training ideas that take up no space and require little or no equipment.
  • lms1220
    lms1220 Posts: 60
    Options
    Bump
  • SuzCruz159
    SuzCruz159 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Check out Bodylastics on Amazon. I have a space issue too. These are very good quality and compact.
  • krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    For me personally I've found resistance bands hurt my wrists more. Not sure why but something about the motion or pulling kills my wrists. When using dumbbells I don't get the same pain after.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I was just asking someone about this offline last night. He thought that he got a better workout with free weights, because it takes more energy and muscle to control proper form. He acknowledged that the resistance with the band increased the further it stretched, and compared it to being able to have a 15-18 lb dumbbell in one motion, rather than having to jump from 15-20 for the next weight since dumbbells don't break it down by smaller increments usually.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You could also use both at the same time for added resistance.