OMG, longans are only 2 calories per fruit!!!

Options
NYCNika
NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
Sweet, delicious, juicy goodness! I can really gorge myself on a bag of wonderful ripe longans in the fridge.

Replies

• IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love them too.
  • NYCNika
    Options
    Fresh_Longan.jpg

drag.jpg
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hmph. Never heard of them. I know our grocery store doesn't have them.
  • rachso
    rachso Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    never heard of them. I work at a grocery store and have never seen one....interesting
  • NYCNika
    Options
    They are more delicious than candy. Really sweet and juicy (when ripe).

Similar to litchiis or rambutans, but I think the sweetest out of the three.

Do you have a Chinatown (or other South East Asian communities)? They are often sold there. It is a tropical fruit. They have a short season and are generally only available once a year around this time.

They are generally sold in bunches, like this:
    6010725-longan-fruit-also-known-as-dragon-s-eye-related-to-the-lychee-fruit-the-fruit-is-similar-in-texture-.jpg
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    The longan, also known as lamyai, is a fruit that somewhat resembles the lychee. Longan is native to Southern China. The shell is bark-like, reddish/brown, thin and less rough than the lychee. This makes the fruit easy to shell.
    The flesh of the longan is whitish, translucent, somewhat musky, sweet, and tastes somewhat like mango.
    The fruit can easily be shelled by squeezing the fruit out as if you are "cracking" a sunflower seed. The seed should not be eaten.
    Keep ripe longans refrigerated and consume within a few days.
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    I ate those quite a lot in Thailand! I didn't even know they were imported here.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for those for years. When I was a kid and we went down to visit my uncle in Panama, he had these. He called them monkey grapes. I never knew the real name and have never seen them anywhere around here. Now I can look them up! Thanks for this post and the picture, you have ended a 35 year search!
  • kitsiekitty
    kitsiekitty Posts: 166
    Options
    Their delicious, and luckily I live in a tropical country so I get them pretty much year round. Careful though, eat too much and they give you a horrid sore throat and/or cough. D:
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    DRAGON EYES!
  • NYCNika
    Options
    Their delicious, and luckily I live in a tropical country so I get them pretty much year round. Careful though, eat too much and they give you a horrid sore throat and/or cough. D:

What is too much? I ate 30 in one sitting and have yet to feel any ill effects.
    I have been looking for those for years. When I was a kid and we went down to visit my uncle in Panama, he had these. He called them monkey grapes. I never knew the real name and have never seen them anywhere around here. Now I can look them up! Thanks for this post and the picture, you have ended a 35 year search!
    Very happy this helped!
    I hope you manage to get some. Here they are only available for like 2 weeks in July. I get them from street vendors in Brooklyn or Manhattan Chinatowns. They also go by the name of "dragon eye fruit".
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I like lychee, but I've never tried these!
  • kitsiekitty
    kitsiekitty Posts: 166
    Options

What is too much? I ate 30 in one sitting and have yet to feel any ill effects.

i have no idea, but all i rmbr was eating it for the duration of a whole movie. but then again, i also had it with a couple of other foodstuff known to cause sore throats. xD

you can make longan to dessert too. :P boil it with rock sugar and snow fungus, and it tastes delicious if yu throw in a pear. xD