My running isn't improving

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Not sure what's going on. Could you be running too often? I keep it to 3-4 days max. If I run too much I end up tiring out and getting over-use injuries.

I was always slow, but I haven't ever had problems with endurance or increasing distance. I DID have the hardest time getting my speed to improve until I finally started incorporating strength training. It's really enhanced my performance - at my last half-marathon I improved my pace by over 2 minutes per mile and the only change I made was adding in heavy lifting. I'd been stuck at the same pace (give or take a few seconds) for years so I was so excited to achieve a new personal best! A bonus was that my stronger muscles also helped me prevent all the usual training injuries, too.

Are you eating enough carbs and protein to support your running? You need the carbs to refuel your glycogen stores and the protein to repair and rebuild your muscles. If you're not getting adequate nutrition, you'll run out of steam fast. Good luck!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I was always slow, but I haven't ever had problems with endurance or increasing distance. I DID have the hardest time getting my speed to improve until I finally started incorporating strength training. It's really enhanced my performance - at my last half-marathon I improved my pace by over 2 minutes per mile and the only change I made was adding in heavy lifting. I'd been stuck at the same pace (give or take a few seconds) for years so I was so excited to achieve a new personal best! A bonus was that my stronger muscles also helped me prevent all the usual training injuries, too.

This is a great, but I want to point out a couple things about the lifting and it's impact on your running.

First, aerobic fitness is developed over time, in the magnitude of years. So, you were building your fitness over those years.

The second thing that stands out to me is "A bonus was that my stronger muscles also helped me prevent all the usual training injuries, too. " The reason that runners do strength training is to prevent injury so they can continue to train. So, by adding the weights, you were able to be more consistent with your running and consequently build your aerobic fitness.

That is the relationship of the heavy lifting to your running. The weights themselves did make you faster as running a HM is 97% aerobic and heavy weights don't do anything to develop that system.
  • LianneW1986
    LianneW1986 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow I felt like I was reading this about myself! I am exactly the same... I started running a couple of months back and I got up to 2 miles in 25 mins then 3 miles in 33 mins (11 minute miles) and I have to say these past 2 weeks I have been running at 10 minute miles and just cannot keep the momentum, it is a lot hotter so I was blaming that but on reading your replies I might just keep to running the 3 miles in as long as it takes me and put something over the clock on the treadmill!!

I find running outside is much better but the gym just suits me timewise!

I am going to try tonight to do slower but further :)
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Do you have any weights you can do? Try doing some squats and lunges with weights (if possible). That will really help build muscle and help with your run. Replace one or two days or running with weight training to help out with speed. At least, that's what I find helpful for me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

This is a great, but I want to point out a couple things about the lifting and it's impact on your running.

First, aerobic fitness is developed over time, in the magnitude of years. So, you were building your fitness over those years.

The second thing that stands out to me is "A bonus was that my stronger muscles also helped me prevent all the usual training injuries, too. " The reason that runners do strength training is to prevent injury so they can continue to train. So, by adding the weights, you were able to be more consistent with your running and consequently build your aerobic fitness.

That is the relationship of the heavy lifting to your running. The weights themselves did make you faster as running a HM is 97% aerobic and heavy weights don't do anything to develop that system.

Oh, I totally agree. I've been running cross-country for decades and have done several marathons/half-marathons. Strength training did NOTHING for my aerobic fitness. Why would it? However, it made me stronger, which helped me push myself to greater speeds without tiring or becoming injured. I stand by my statement that strength training improved my running performance. :drinker:
  • imogen11
    imogen11 Posts: 15
    Options
    Such great tips from everyone! They're all worth paying attention to. I definitely think sleep (and just rest in general) is a big one! I too have gone through periods where my progress when running has been at a total standstill. I went from comfortably running 8 or 10kms to only being able to run a couple of kilometeres, then having to stop, turn around and walk home! This persisted for a couple of weeks and I was totally perplexed but, looking back, I think it was definitely a sleep and stress issue.

Also, it's really important to pay attention to your mind and what you are telling yourself. I think situations like this can have a bit of a snowball effect. You're tired or stressed or not eating enough, your running suffers, and it's easy to fall into a negative mindset that really prevents you from getting out of your running rut. Running is very much a mental battle!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that I'm not alone in this. I started C25K in April and was able to succesfully complete the running time (30min) but was not running 5K in this time. Since I graduated I have been able to run 35 minutes a few times but mainly just 30. I was hoping that I would have progressed more by now but I will have to keep working on it. I will not give up. I am very proud to call myself a runner regardless of how slow I run. Everyone had some great advice that I will take as I work on increasing my time running.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I run 5kms almost daily and I have no issues. I will say that my times will vary from 25 to 35 minutes. It really depends on the fuel in my body, stress, fatigue and heat. Heat is a huge factor for me when running.

5kms is 5kms whether you are running it in 25 minutes or an hour. You're doing great! And if you are just getting started (based on you C25K comment), don't be too hard on yourself. When I started running, my first 5km race was recorded at 40 minutes, but I completed the distance. Please don't overlook your success! Every step will improve your time and ability...if you try to bypass the time it takes to run longer distances in shorter times you will risk an injury.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    All kinds of things can impact your running....food intake, sleep/fatiigue, boredom, ect. I am still figuring out my running, working on time, distance and all that fun stuff. A few things I've noticed about my own patterns of improvement....My runs are always better in the mornings (I found this out because it was getting too hot in Louisiana for me to run in the day or even in the evenings), I do best when I've consumed a bit more food, but not within 2 hours of my run. I do horribly the day after I work legs at the gym. And every time I make a really great improvement on my time, it's after having 2-3 days in a row off. Maybe you just need to experiment a little more. Take a different route, try running at different times of day, maybe give yourself an extra rest day in between....and I saw that you have a little one, so do I and when I have a rough night with her...I cut myself some slack and give myself the day off. No worries, you will improve....Just keep at it!
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Remember fuel. I find that dieting (because restricting calories below normal is still dieting to me) impacts it too. If I haven't eaten enough, I have less energy and things like running are harder. I really need to eat some high energy foods before running (I love a peanut butter sandwich before a mid morning run).
    And, for me it is such a huge mental aspect, the longer runs. Every minute extra is a win for me. It is so hard, I want to quit, but what is one more minute? Surely I can do one more minute. Do I want to go home and say I did 30, but couldn't manage just that one extra minute? That's what goes through my head while running, and for me this works. I know I can do this, my body just needs to stop whining and keep going. ;)
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've stalled a few times and even regressed some as well. It happens. One of the first 5ks I ran back in February is still listed as my fastest according to Endomondo, but I just ran 9 miles last Sunday. I really don't worry about the times anymore, I just run and then check when I get done. If I set a PR, cool. If not I still get to have ice cream because I just burned a bunch of calories off. Win win in my book.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Oh, I totally agree. I've been running cross-country for decades and have done several marathons/half-marathons. Strength training did NOTHING for my aerobic fitness. Why would it? However, it made me stronger, which helped me push myself to greater speeds without tiring or becoming injured. I stand by my statement that strength training improved my running performance. :drinker:

I agree. I just wanted to make sure that the OP (and others here) understood why and didn't think that lifting heavy was the magic bullet to make you faster. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Try taking a few extra days off in a row and then eating a bit more when you're ready to run again. If you were already in a deficit while running 5x per week and now you're trying to increase the running while consuming the same calories it could be a case of your body being drained.

^^ This
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    I have been running for several years. Check out runners world forums for newbies. Or the magazine.
    The plans are great and you will learn about tempo, pace, speed work, hills, track intervals. Many many runners run on local track to gain speed and do many many repeats. Weight loss = faster times as well. Hence elites and their lithe bodies.
    Rest days are so so important. Look up articles on the "toos" as in too much too soon too many miles. When I am training for halfs I cross train hard. Spin....yoga...strength train. I run 3to 4xs a week. But again my mileage varies and the 3 or 4 days a week means 1 -3 miler at tempo . 1 or 2 5 milers hills/ terrain/or race pace. Then 1 long slow distance 6-14 miles run repeat long and slow....which is 1 to 2 min slower than my race pace. Cannot stress the importance of rest days and cross training days. Hope this helps....: )
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i'm still very slow, too, but I've worked up to about 2.5 miles without stopping if I am on flat terrain and its not too hot. (took me about 8-10 weeks, i started barely being able to run for 30 seconds) I'm not very experienced in this but i wanted to put in my vote for SLEEP and FOOD!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks the OP is overly ambitious??? It takes me at least 4 months of consistent running to cut 15 seconds off each mile. Endurance takes time...
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks the OP is overly ambitious??? It takes me at least 4 months of consistent running to cut 15 seconds off each mile. Endurance takes time...

Sometimes it takes less, sometimes it takes more. Depends on your level of fitness. If you are trying to go from 13:45 to 13:30 miles, yeah you can probably do it rather quickly. But if you are trying to drop from 6:15, to 6:00, that could take years (if ever).
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I think you should back off the running a bit to only 3 days a week. Until you get past the 10K distance, running more frequently isn't doing much for you. Make one of those runs a longer, slow run. The shorter runs should be a bit faster with some fast/slow intervals or hills. You need to mix it up to get over that plateau. The long run is probably the most important run of the week for building endurance & speed. Also make sure you are getting enough good-quality carbs (around 60% of your macros).

I totally agree with this guy. 3 non-consecutive days a week is the sweet spot for me, with 2 shorter runs and 1 long run. I lift or do yoga or go to a ballet class on the in-between days. Cross-training has made me better at all of my fitness activities, including running. I agree that you should check your diet too. A lot of people have the mindset that carbs=bad but you need them for energy to power through those workouts.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Cut back to every other day. Beginning runners usually are not fit enough, and their muscles don't repair quickly enough, to handle the strain of consecutive running days.

Also, slow down. If you get to a mile and you can't go any further because you are out of breath, SLOW DOWN. You should be running at a conversational pace. If this means you are running at a shuffle like pace, so be it.

Lastly, drop the sprint, jog, walk routine. At this stage of your running career, that is doing more harm than good. Those sprint sections are tearing down muscle tissue to the extent that it probably needs two days to repair, it's causing lactate acid buildup in your muscles making your more sore and it isn't contributing to your aerobic fitness, which is what you should be working on right now.

^^^ This

I've been running for over 5 years and it's only been recently that running back to back days has been feasible, for a long time it was every other day (3 days one week, 4 the next).

Slow down and enjoy the journey, you have a lifetime of running ahead of you, make sure you're having fun.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    It took me more than a year (with a few months break) to start running a 4th time a week.

i agree with the others, take a break, back off a little - if you look at most running plans, they have an easy week every 4 weeks or so - and i bet you've been trying to push and push, without a break.

as for speed - i manage my fastest average speeds on my long runs (13k so far), i don't know why, but it seems to take me 5k alone to get warmed up. and whenever i try and run fast - i end up being slower than when i just run. and yup, my fastest average so far is 6:37 min/km, slow, but it gets me there.

my couch to 10k plan frequently included 10 minute run - 1 minute walk, even up to the last week. so don't think you have to run 30 minutes straight, just because you can. if your current 10k plan isn't working for you, look at another.

good luck, quit trying too hard, and try to enjoy yourself instead, the rest will come in time :happy: