HAIR LOSS

Options
Ok since i started losing weight, i have lost a healthy 1 to 1.5 lbs a weeks. Eating the same stuff i was just smaller portions. At one point yes i was eating tooooo few calories, but since i have upped my intake. Well there must be some vitamin that i am missing. I have a lot of hair, and its long, i mean i could make 4 ponytails and donate to charity. They say it's normal to lose 100 strands a day. But i feel like in the last 3 weeks i have been losing more. Any ideas on what vitamin i need. I never had this before. Im only 29.

Replies

• OMISALJ
    OMISALJ Posts: 69
    Options
    Ok since i started losing weight, i have lost a healthy 1 to 1.5 lbs a weeks. Eating the same stuff i was just smaller portions. At one point yes i was eating tooooo few calories, but since i have upped my intake. Well there must be some vitamin that i am missing. I have a lot of hair, and its long, i mean i could make 4 ponytails and donate to charity. They say it's normal to lose 100 strands a day. But i feel like in the last 3 weeks i have been losing more. Any ideas on what vitamin i need. I never had this before. Im only 29.
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I had a hair loss problem in the past but it was hormonal (after having a baby). I did a lot of research on it at the time and it is either bacterial, hormonal, genetic, or mal nourishment. I would take a prenatal vitamin and talk to my doctor if I were you.
  • ophelian
    ophelian Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've read that an iron deficiency can lead to hair loss (as well as anemia) so be sure to take iron supplements if you need them. If you're also feeling a little bit tired or run down this might be the case.

I had this same problem last October - I have long hair and lots of and suddenly it seemed to be thinning out (it happened just months after I began working out.) I later realized that it was due mostly to stress rather than vitamin deficiencies - if you're under a lot of pressure at work or at home this might be a factoring in as well.

Rest assured, your hair will grow back. Its scary now but the loss is temporary for most women. But if it doesn't improve or gets worse within the next few months, definitely speak to a dermatologist. Take care!
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've heared that Flaxseed oil( it is in capsules to swallow) in combination wit fish oil supplemens would be great. You can get it in Health food stores. You have limited your diet too much and now you are lacking healthy oils. Externally you can use olive oil masks directly on your hair for an hour and then wash and style like usual
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I had massive hairloss due to a switch in birth control pills, you haven't done anything like that recently have you? For me it was a drop in estrogen that did it.
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Quenofcrazzy Posts: 358
    Options
    There are supplements at Walmart for Hair, Skin & Nails. When my hair started falling out I started taking them and within a week I had new hair growth. The main ingredient is Biotin and Vitamin B. The vitamin B will also help with energy and weight loss.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    That is a common symptom of eating too few calories and it takes some time to occur, so I imagine it is a residual effect from the time you were eating too few. You need to ensure that you are eating all of your calories each day and including a healthy amount of fat including Omega 3 in some form.