Training for a Half Marathon!

Options
My first half marathon is in February and I am really excited. I joined a local running group for running support, and MFP for diet/nutrition support.

Anyone else out there done any major distance training while doing MFP? Marathoners or half marathoners? Care to share any tips?

Replies

• Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    My first half marathon is in February and I am really excited. I joined a local running group for running support, and MFP for diet/nutrition support.

Anyone else out there done any major distance training while doing MFP? Marathoners or half marathoners? Care to share any tips?

I am also training for a half in feb.
  • twingirls05
    Options
    Good for you!!!! I started running last June (2009). I've been at it for about 15-16 months now and I just signed up for my 5th half marathon to run in Oct (a year to date from the first one I ever ran)! Half marathons are SO fun!!! You are going to have a blast. While I wasn't doing MFP, I did lose 30 lbs last year (on Weight Wtachers) while I was running. However, the more my miles picked up, the more my weight loss stalled. You would think that I would've been dropping the lbs running 10-15 miles at a time on the weekends...but nope. For a good probably 8-9 months, I gained and lost the same 5 lbs...so I guess I became good at "maintaining." It wasn't until I got sick of staying the same weight, that I joined MFP. I think the big difference is...when I workout for an hour or more, I have been eating back at least 200 calories and if I burn a significant amount (600 or more), I typically try to eat back half of the calories that I burned. I think, that with doing WW, I was to limited and my body went into a starvation mode. I'm eating more and losing more than I have in the past 8-9 months. So, play around with it and see what works for you.

I can't wait to follow your training! Good luck!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Woot! Good for you for doing a half-marathon! My recommendation would be to make sure to eat an energy snack (fruit, yogurt, cheese, granola) 1hr or so before running, and then eat something with protein afterwards. Also remember to cross-train and do your rest days - it's amazing how a day of rest can make you refreshed and energized for your next run!
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Ive ran a marahton a few months ago and you really cant lose weight as you cant put your body in a calorie deficit or you will hit a wall. I didnt lose any weight when I trained for my full and I ran a respectable 4:27. I have moved down to running halfs as I miss spending time with my husband and 14 month old baby. I have about 10 nasty lbs that are hanging on so Ive actually reduced my excercise and focused more on diet. Bottom line is Its tough to put your body in a calorie deficit when training long distances.