Need some understanding.

Options
I'm new to MFP. I was told to eat 1730 cal.plus what I burn off. Can you really eat that many calories and still lose weight? In my case I was to eat 3149 cal. I dont understand the concept of eating the calories one burns off. Can someone please explain?

Replies

• liormintz
    liormintz Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    its very simple actualy
    (here is the place to say that im not some pro or something and i really dont know how many calories you should eat)

as far as i know the more you weight the more calories your body needs in order to maintain it self for example i need 1800 a day and some one slim needs much less.
    the thing with the one you burn is that if you had a workout were you burned 300 calories its more 300 calories you can eat that day.
    i hope i made my self clear im not an native english speaker so i might have spelling problems as well.

by the way you are more then welcome to add me as a friend.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP. I was told to eat 1730 cal.plus what I burn off. Can you really eat that many calories and still lose weight? In my case I was to eat 3149 cal. I dont understand the concept of eating the calories one burns off. Can someone please explain?

what exercise were you doing to burn over 1000 cals? how did you measure your burn?
  • dontwishforit_workforit
    Options
    Her exercise diary lists 66 minutes on stair-treadmill ergometer burning 949 cal, and elliptical for 36 mins burning 470.
  • sexxy_dee
    sexxy_dee Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I want to know what is the purpose of exercising other than strengthening,,building muscle, tone etc if you are going to eat back the calories one burns? Im under the impression one needs to burn more than one takes in inorder to lose weight.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I want to know what is the purpose of exercising other than strengthening,,building muscle, tone etc if you are going to eat back the calories one burns? Im under the impression one needs to burn more than one takes in inorder to lose weight.

MFP gives you a deficit BEFORE any exercise, so you are supposed to eat exercise cals back so that you dont have too large a deficit, which in turn can be bad for you.

exercise has loads of health benefits, its not just for losing weight.
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Every day, your metabolism burns a certain number of calories dependent on your height, weight, age, gender and how active you are etc.
    For example my total daily expenditure is around 1800kcal.

When you set your goals on MFP, they give you a calorie deficit that will let you achieve that goal.
    For example, my daily goal is set at 1200kcal.

When you add exercise on top, you burn off more calories, resulting in a net calorie intake that is less than your daily goal.
    For example, I eat 1200kcal and burn 500kcal during exercise. My net intake is now 700kcal (1200-500)

You need to eat back your exercise calories to get back to your calories goal.

Have a look at this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Good luck!
  • cbumbalough
    cbumbalough Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Every day, your metabolism burns a certain number of calories dependent on your height, weight, age, gender and how active you are etc.
    For example my total daily expenditure is around 1800kcal.

When you set your goals on MFP, they give you a calorie deficit that will let you achieve that goal.
    For example, my daily goal is set at 1200kcal.

When you add exercise on top, you burn off more calories, resulting in a net calorie intake that is less than your daily goal.
    For example, I eat 1200kcal and burn 500kcal during exercise. My net intake is now 700kcal (1200-500)

You need to eat back your exercise calories to get back to your calories goal.

Have a look at this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Good luck!

Nicely put!! Also, you don't have to eat ALL your exercise calories back. They are available if you need them. If I did that much cardio, I'd need them. I'd be starving!
  • sexxy_dee
    Options
  • TavistockToad
    Options

you have 3 replies answering that....
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time understanding the logic sometimes too, especially when it leaves you eating over 3000 calories. I can't even break 2000 most days and I'm 8 months pregnant. I eat when I'm hungry, plain and simple. I don't eat because I "have" to.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You exercise for the health benefits. You exercise to preserve you muscle mass. And you exercise for ice cream:laugh:
  • sexxy_dee
    Options
    Thank you so much for explaining this to me. I totally get it now. I started going to the gym on 4/9/13. I weighed 363lbs at that time. I was not burning as many calories as I am now maybe 500 instead of the 1400 now. The weight was coming off .I was eating something every 3 hours. Now Im burning more calories and eating less. Ive been stuck at 335lbs since 6/15/13. It makes since now. I will eat up but good things. Thanks again the link was also very informative.
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    That seems like alot of calories a day when your trying to lose! Eat healthy & don't overeat & stop when you feel you've had enough. Good luck on your weight loss.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the calorie estimate for exercise can be off for lots of reasons. If you aren't losing eating back all of your calories, try eating back about half of them.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options

MFP gives you a deficit BEFORE any exercise, so you are supposed to eat exercise cals back so that you dont have too large a deficit, which in turn can be bad for you.

exercise has loads of health benefits, its not just for losing weight.

THIS.

Bottom line, I'm not sure how else to explain it other than this: Based on the info you entered when you signed up, the deficit is created for you. If you're too far below your numbers, you won't lose the weight you want. If you're too far above your numbers, you won't lose the weight you want.

If you are allotted 1700 calories a day, and you burn 500, you're only netting 1200 calories. You need to eat back the 500 so you are at the proper amount of calories consumed.

YOU MUST FEED THE MACHINE TO KEEP THE MACHINE RUNNING SMOOTHLY!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You may want to be cautious about eating back al of the calories if you're getting calorie burn numbers from either MFP or from the exercise machines you're using as they tend to be overestimate. Aim to eat back somewhere between half and 2/3rds. So if you are given a total burn of 1400, eat back somewhere between 700 and 900 of that. That way too, you don't have to feel like you're forcing yourself to eat if you're not really hungry.

One other thing to keep in mind, as you are obese (no offense, just the facts), your body can handle a higher deficit than someone who is in the overweight category. You still want to make sure you get your minimum calories (which is probably somewhere around 2000) to get in vital nutrients but that fine line with the deficit shouldn't be as much of a concern just yet.

In fact, it's a perfect opportunity to really get in touch with your body's signals. Are you really hungry or are you just bored or maybe you just need to drink more water? Or say you feel a bit run down or your cravings are worse than usual - this is usually a good indication that your body needs a bit more fuel. Learning these cues will help you as you get closer to goal.

Best of luck!
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

just like a 4x4 needs more fuel to run than a 4 cylinder car, a bigger body needs more fuel to run as well.

That being said, you need to create a calorie deficit in order to lose. So don't eat back all the calories you burn, otherwise you'll stay where you are. Create the calorie deficit.