I HATE CLOTHES SHOPPING - rant

Options
124»

Replies

• ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    WOW - well, I feel completely poor now. Just checked out Piperlime and Revolve (two stores I'd never heard of) and see that everything is WAY over $50. Guess that's the difference between small town Midwest and wherever you folks live. One outfit there would be half my take home pay.

And I think now I see the difference for those of you who love to shop and find it fun - you clearly have a bigger bank balance than I do, which is fine, but means that these stores are completely out of reach.

I've joked that I would love to see Clinton and Stacy come here and try to find clothes for their What Not To Wear show. They'd find that $390 dresses would not be in most people's budgets around here. :D
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Again, sales.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I hate clothes shopping too, especially when I was larger. Now I've been forced to go shopping a lot over the last year, mostly at thrift stores. I agree with the others who've recommended taking a day trip to a larger city with better selection or better yet, go to the one with an outlet mall. I'm actually looking foward to a new outlet mall opening within 1/2 hour of my home and I'm taking a day off to go shop, hoping by then I'll either be at or close to my goal weight.

BTW, my closet is full of J.Crew, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Ralph Lauren, etc....all from thrift stores.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Me too and shoe shopping is the worse! Online baby online

I have had such miserable luck trying to shop online. I think it's because I don't have hours on end to click through page after page on our crappy internet connection, where it takes 5 minutes to bring up a page on Amazon or wherever.

And I agree with the shoes!!! Went to seven stores over the weekend to look for dress pumps/flats and the selection was exactly the same in all of them: flip flops (which I can't wear to work) or six-inch hooker heels with the ridiculous platforms. LOL I give up.

Sometimes you can call companies tell them you dont have internet connection or it's slow and they will send catalogs.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    Believe me, I am only looking in the sale racks. I would love for one of you to spend one day with me trying to find stuff that fits that I can afford . . .the "walk a mile in my shoes" kind of situation, but seeing how that is not going to happen, I will continue trying to make do. I appreciate the suggestions.
  • UrbanLotus
    Options
    Believe me, I am only looking in the sale racks. I would love for one of you to spend one day with me trying to find stuff that fits that I can afford . . .the "walk a mile in my shoes" kind of situation, but seeing how that is not going to happen, I will continue trying to make do. I appreciate the suggestions.

Lol I can probably take 5 minutes and do it online. You need to look and be resourceful, not just give up when you walk by a store or open a site. If you just want to rant that's fine, but you have gotten valid advice in this thread if you actually want help.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options

Lol I can probably take 5 minutes and do it online. You need to look and be resourceful, not just give up when you walk by a store or open a site. If you just want to rant that's fine, but you have gotten valid advice in this thread if you actually want help.

For which I said thank you. Be grateful that everything comes so easily to you, Ms. Lotus. I'm sure it's a magnificent view from up there on that high horse. Have a great day!!
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I did not read ALL the posts here. My 16 yo is yammering in my ear right now about Fall Sports. But I digress.

That being said, I don't know if it's been suggested but what about altering?

If you find stuff you like, take it to a local tailor or even most of your dry cleaners do it and have your stuff altered. I'm pretty tall and have very broad shoulders and long arms so most coats are not suitable for me. I found a GORGEOUS leather Liz Claiborne coat at our local consignment shop for $12!! It fit in the shoulders, the sleeves were too short, I took it to the cleaners here in my VERY SMALL town and it cost about $15 because it was leather.

So look for stuff you like, and if it doesn't fit exactly right in the waist, or hips or length take it to someone who can alter it. Now you've got a piece of clothing that looks like it's been made for you. I've even been known to do a little self "fixing" of my jeans and it makes a huge difference.
  • UrbanLotus
    Options

For which I said thank you. Be grateful that everything comes so easily to you, Ms. Lotus. I'm sure it's a magnificent view from up there on that high horse. Have a great day!!

I was saying I can help you, but ok.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    Disclaimer: I did not read ALL the posts here. My 16 yo is yammering in my ear right now about Fall Sports. But I digress.

That being said, I don't know if it's been suggested but what about altering?

If you find stuff you like, take it to a local tailor or even most of your dry cleaners do it and have your stuff altered. I'm pretty tall and have very broad shoulders and long arms so most coats are not suitable for me. I found a GORGEOUS leather Liz Claiborne coat at our local consignment shop for $12!! It fit in the shoulders, the sleeves were too short, I took it to the cleaners here in my VERY SMALL town and it cost about $15 because it was leather.

So look for stuff you like, and if it doesn't fit exactly right in the waist, or hips or length take it to someone who can alter it. Now you've got a piece of clothing that looks like it's been made for you. I've even been known to do a little self "fixing" of my jeans and it makes a huge difference.

I haven't found anything I liked enough to buy and have tailored, but if/when I do, I will definitely consider that.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I hate it sometimes too. Clothes have gotten a bit weird. My favorite store was carrying some kind of hideous acid wash skinny jeans with red roses all over them! Who wears this crap?? I was actually whining about the lack of "normal" jeans to a coworker today and she told me to try American Eagle. I told her I hadn't been there since '97 and was probably past the age limit. But I tried it anyways and tada! Normal jeans! I agree with whoever said try the discount stores like Ross, Marshalls, Bealls, TJ Maxx, etc. I've definitely had the most luck there....and have found really good brands. And do like I do; when you finally find a store that carries stuff that works, buy all the stuff!!!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I actually hate that women can get away with soooooooo much more variety then men in a casual office setting. It makes shopping easy, but it's so boring. Oh, ok, another pair of beige khakis and another blue button down, please. Argh!

Yeah, I kind of hate myself, too. We really push it sometimes where I work. Like, I totally have flip flops on right now.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Kohls used to be my go to store but now I view most of it as too casual for the job. The clothes are more teacher style than business manager style. I also don't mind spending a few hours shifting through clothes but not 6 stores and 6 hours later.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    Kohls used to be my go to store but now I view most of it as too casual for the job. The clothes are more teacher style than business manager style. I also don't mind spending a few hours shifting through clothes but not 6 stores and 6 hours later.

^^^ Yes, I agree with this completely. Since it is far from fun for me, the thought of spending an entire morning/afternoon/evening schlepping through racks has ZERO appeal. I miss the days when there was a selection of work-appropriate clothing available without needing to scour the city and cross my fingers. At the end of the shopping trip, I usually end up with one thing that I decide sucks marginally less than the other 42,000 things I tried on and bring it home, where I am unhappy with it. :D
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Might you have second hand places there? You might have better luck?
    Or .. I know you can't try them on but online maybe? There's nothing
    wrong with youthful fashions but maybe just for home. I wear some at
    home myself .. nothing wrong there. :)
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I wonder if materials are at fault. Some materials are great for teeny boppers not so great for "normal women." I know some stores such as J Jill have "something for everyone" in stretchy forgiving flattering styles. Their jeans are trendy but arent always the slim tapered leg. However ladies say that they enjoy the material and stretch, and that particular style because it makes them feel younger. Finding a store or a line that carries more forgiving styles will make most fits look great.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm going to an event tonight where businesses will be donating business clothes to everyone that comes and giving tips. I figure if there is anything I like but not my size, I can have it altered and it will still be a deal. At minimum, they are feeding us and I will network with a few businesses for future potential contacts.