If my Heart rate monitor doesn't have calories burnt...

Options
How can I work out what calories I've burnt from the readings? If at all... I have a Polar F2.

I bought it to sync with the spinning bikes at the gym, but would like to know accurate calories burnt when I'm walking / running as well?

Cheers,

Replies

• didiseriouslyjusteatthat
    Options
    Use this to work out calories - just input the heart rate that the monitor gives you

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F1 and I have to calculate my calories burned using the following formula:

For females, Calories burned = (0.4472 x (average heart rate) -- 0.05741 x (weight) + 0.074 x (age) -- 20.4022) x (duration of exercise) / 4.184.

Assume that you're a 28-year-old female weighing 146 pounds. Your average heart rate during an exercise session that lasted 36 minutes was 138 bpm. You burned C = (0.4472 x 138 -- 0.05741 x 146 + 0.074 x 28 -- 20.4022) x 36 / 4.184 = 301 calories
  • buckster37
    Options
    If you go to the file option on your Polar F2 it should give you an average HR and as well as the time spent exercising. You then take that information and input it into this site http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx and it will give you approximate calories burnt. It will ask you for your age, height, avg heart rate, etc. I hope this helps. If the above link does work then try this www.shapesense.com then click on Fitness and Exercise - Calculators
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    @didiseriously, thanks for the calculator, i was never sure how much i could trust my hrm since the rates on mfp are always much lower, but the calculator came out to much closer to what i'm actually acheiving.
  • alicemdl
    alicemdl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you all - thats really helpful! Will look at those maths now!
  • alicemdl
    alicemdl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just tested it and the link works and the calories seem great - sort of what I was expecting, so thats great to know! Thanks again!