Damn vacation

Options
So ive been doing good. Gym 6 days a week for about 3 weeks with a routine
3 sets 15 rep goal.
I deff was noticing a diffrence could even do a pull up finally lol

Now i took a vacation and was up in canda for 1 week no way to exercise but job a little.

I came back hit the gym and i noticed i couldnt do the same weight it was like i was weaker. so the second 1/2 of the week came around and i decided to tone down the weight and go for 15-20 reps (most were 15)

Im more sore than i have been in weeks and i was suprised because i felt like i had a harder work out doing less weight and more reps.

But my main question is having only 1 week off. can it really affect you to loose that much muscle?
Example before vacation:
Chest press machine: Weight 110
15 rep
15 rep
8 rep
After vacation: Weight 110
rep 8
Changed weight to 90
Rep 12
Rep 9

To me thats a big diffrence

Replies

• brynnlantz
    Options
    I don't know specifically about weights but I took a week off from running for knee issues and when I started again it was a lot more tiring when I tried to do the exact same workout before. I have a friend who had to take 2-3 weeks off of working out for an infection and she definitely was off track when she started back up again.

To me it seems normal to be off track after taking a week or more off.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I recently just took almost 2 weeks off, the most I have taken off in years actually. I expect I will have some challenges, but it is normal and I am not going to push myself. Muscle memory is a powerful thing, you'll be back to it in no time flat.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    That's what happens when you come to Canada, we fill you up with poutine and maple syrup and suck the strength out of you! :laugh:

Considering you were only 3 weeks into your program it's not surprising that you'd take a step back after a week off. Be patient and you'll probably be back to where you were by the end of the 2nd week of working out again.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    First off, great job on starting strength training. Second, I hope you enjoyed your vacation. Canada is fun.

To your question: you did NOT lose any muscle. Because you are only 3 weeks into this strength training, it is likely that your gains are due to neural adaptation to the new stress. Your body is learning HOW to move weights around, not necessarily growing any additional mass (yet). When you took a week off, they lost some of that adaptation and forgot how to move weights efficiently. That made them sore.

This is all good. Continue your training and increase weight each time you can do 10-12 reps (15 is too many for strength training). You will continue your neural adaptation and if you are eating correctly (good macros and at a surplus), you will start adding muscle. As a new lifter, you might even be able to add some muscle while at a caloric deficit.

So, feel good about your journey. The vacation had little impact. The best is yet to come.

Tom
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    First off, great job on starting strength training. Second, I hope you enjoyed your vacation. Canada is fun.

To your question: you did NOT lose any muscle. Because you are only 3 weeks into this strength training, it is likely that your gains are due to neural adaptation to the new stress. Your body is learning HOW to move weights around, not necessarily growing any additional mass (yet). When you took a week off, they lost some of that adaptation and forgot how to move weights efficiently. That made them sore.

This is all good. Continue your training and increase weight each time you can do 10-12 reps (15 is too many for strength training). You will continue your neural adaptation and if you are eating correctly (good macros and at a surplus), you will start adding muscle. As a new lifter, you might even be able to add some muscle while at a caloric deficit.

So, feel good about your journey. The vacation had little impact. The best is yet to come.

Tom

well3 weeks into the new routine i was trying lol. otherwise been few months
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I came back after a week away from the gym and started more or less at the same weights as my last pre-vacation lifts. I was a bit sore during the first week after vacation, but I'm back to normal and making some modest gains now. If you've been away longer than a week, then deload by 10% or more--depending on how long of a break you took.