Help with Plantar Fasciitis

Options
13»

Replies

• mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had it for a while too and it would be worse when i wore a specific pair of shoes. You can get one of those hard massage balls and roll your foot around on it.

mine really went away when i started running regularly though
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used to be a manager for a place that sold diabetic shoes- never go barefooted and it will help you out , always wear tennis shoes over sandles

This is true. I had it and Birkenstock soles helped a lot, too.
  • Blessedby2boys
    Blessedby2boys Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had a mediocre boot, when I got a higher quality one, a few nights later, I was pain free.
  • Blessedby2boys
    Blessedby2boys Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had a mediocre boot, when I got a higher quality one, a few nights later, I was pain free.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    What helped me the most was taping it even more than custom fitted inserts I tried the boot too Didnt help me. Swimming did help with no impact for exercise and ice bottles rolling did help with the pain and stretching over time will help good luck
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I had PF something terrible, and nothing helped until I lost weight. The problem completely disappeared.

Not a fix for now, but another reason to go get your goal and something to look forward too!!
    I think that this has cured it for me too! I've only lost 25 lbs but it has helped...
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just got relief from this and Achilles Tendonitis. I went to my podiatrist and he suggested physical therapy and heel lifts for my shoes. I did the PT for a while, but didn't have tome to go anymore. I spend $30 on heel lifts and wear them in my shoes. I have not had pain since I started using them. I have also started running again, which I never thought I would be able to do again.
  • ksb1957
    ksb1957 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I suffered from it terribly.....both feet......one worse than the other.......I drug my foot behind me.........and watched as my friend got to show my horses for me in the ring.......arghhhhhhhh..........I had several injectioins into my foot........both from the inside outside and thru the heel.........<--> grimace.......
    I actually had BAXTERS surgery on my right foot.........the surgeon (orthopaedic) hones out the area where the tendon slides because the inflammation was so heavy ........it only pulled.
    What finally helped me is this.......and Im not certain you don't just have to ride it out......but TRY EVERYTHING!!!! I did exercises, bought $300 shoes........tried it all............what I think really worked was.............I bought some earth shoes...........and I switched my tennis shoes out every 12 weeks.........I did not go barefoot.......nor did I wear flip flops (i think they are a huge culprit)........and my doctor gave me a medrol pack for a different matter...........I woke up one day..........and no pain...........or at least it was moderate........and little by little my feet healed. Now I can wear flip flops and all shoes......including high heels....and best of all....i can run!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing you need to do is to get insoles with arch support for all your shoes. They used to recommend custom orthotics. But for most people those are not necessary. Get Superfeet insoles, available at any running shoe store.
    And stretch, stretch stretch ! It can take a while but it works.
    http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/ortho/foot-ankle/_documents/plantarfasciitisteachingsheet.pdf
    The first stretch they recommend (in the page linked above) helped like 90 percent of 80 people with plantar fasciitis for long than a year.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I've have it terribly in both feet. I too was distressed about not being able to wear pretty sandals and heels. I bought Ortha heels to get me through the past year.

But no matter what tennis shoes I wore whether fitted by an running store or buying on my own they never got better. I thought at one point I would have to have surgery or end up in a wheel chair. I bought inserts for the shoe which helped some, stretching and ice rarely helped.

So the other day I started thinking about when my PF started and it started after I got "fitted at a running store" for a pair of over priced brooks. Then I switched to asics, then saucony and they really didn't get any better. So I went back to the same brand of tennis shoes I was wearing before i switched to the brooks and now I am waking with less pain in the mornings and can actually walk around barefoot. :wink: :wink:

Good luck it is an aweful thing to have
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I had to get custom orthotics in all my shoes, and back off pounding exercise for a year. Dealt with it for probably 10 years at various stages of trying to exercise and doing too much, re-injury, to feeling decent.

None of the other stuff worked long enough or well enough to really heal. Or perhaps didn't give it enough time.

I still wear them in the non-flexible shoes.

But other than those shoes, when I finally got over the injury, barefoot running got it totally healed. Now minimalist running since I need sole lift for shorter leg.

Oh, I did custom orthotic 1 time with podiatrist, and then did an online service and just mimicked placing the feet in the foam box. Couple of shoes where it worked, local place did custom too, stand on tool that pushes up little rods to get surface right. Wish I'd done them first, much cheaper.
    Online was much cheaper too, and many more options. Like low-profile carbon fiber for biking shoes. No carbon fiber bike, but I can say the insoles are!
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I dropped 80 pounds and quit wearing my Sanuk Sidewalk Surfers. I only wear decent shoes with good arch support. That took care of the PF for me. No pain the last 9 months.
  • SandonPro
    SandonPro Posts: 4
    Options
    I suffered from this for about a year, I tried everything and nothing helped. Eventually out of frustration I was given a referral to see an orthopaedic surgeon. He gave me a Cortisone Injection under ultra sound conditions and it fixed it almost instantly. That was 8 years ago now and I've never had any issues since!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Go swimming ?

My PF was getting really noticeable. I googled away at all the options and worked out I really needed better stretched out calves and foot muscles, and any tension in them 'excercised out'.

I started off a load of stretching and massage routines but soon got bored when they did not make much difference and were dull to do. But I started going swimming for other reasons and then noticed my PF had simply disappeared.

Nowadays I swim moderately hard two or three times a week - works the feet and calf muscles and theres lots of stretching as you put your foot into breaststroke mode...

The PF comes back quite quick if I stop going ( as does a lot of back muscle tension ) .

Worth a try....
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the posts, so I apologize if mine is a repeat.

I had PF with heel spurs as well. I was prescribed calf stretches (described lower down) and given off the shelf arch supports on the NHS in the UK which took care of the problem within 6 weeks. Last time I had this problem in the Netherlands I was given custom arch supports which also took care of it after a month or so.

Calf stretch: Place the edge of a cutting board on top of a book that is about two inches thick. Stand on this with your toes raised for five minutes at a time, a couple of times a day. I have this set up in front of the wash basin for when I brush my teeth and also in the kitchen.
  • backfixer1
    Options
    The problem with most approaches to plantar fasciitis is that the care is directed toward where you hurt and not why. As seen in most responses to this post, most approaches have to do with stretching, boots, and other things that work on where the pain is, but ignores the basic reason people have plantar fasciitis.

In the book Cheating Mother Nature, what you need to know to beat chronic pain, you will find out that plantar fasciitis encompasses the way you walk, your body style which predisposes you to having the problem which generally occurs with people whose feet toe out which is inefficient, and are of asymmetrical build. This causes the pelvis to distort, which overworks the legs and the myofascia suirrounding the legs tightens up, which increases the impact at the ground. The constant insults caused by a shortened stride and ineifficient body mechanics will tighten the backs of the legs, the calves and a shortening and tightening of the plantar fasciitis which causes pain.

This is why using night splints may give some relief, but never truly improve the condition long term. The problems are in the pelvis, and the person suffering likely need to have inserts in their shoes and avoid flat sandals in the summer. Read this blog post for more helpful hints at http://www.backfixer1.com/blog/plantar-fasciitis-why-your-feet-hurt-and-why-it-is-more-than-a-foot-problem/.

You may also wish to read Cheating Mother Nature, which is available through Amazon.com and other booksellers. Unfortunately, most physicians have the mindset of looking at where you hurt and not why. This book will put you in control so you have a better understanding of why people hurt and you have the tools to better choose who will help you.