Healthy Smoothies

Options
Redgal56
Redgal56 Posts: 73 Member
I am thinking of making healthy smoothies for my weekday breakfasts. I get up at 4:30 every weekday morning and arrive at work at 7:00. I usually eat yogurt and fruit for breakfast or sometimes egg white omelets. However, I am hearing how healthy veggie/fruit smoothies are. My question is this - can they really fill you up? Please let me know if you drink smoothies and do they really fill you up. Also, any recommended recipes would be great! :happy:

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Yes they fill you up as long as you remember to have some protein and fiber and some healthy fat.
  • jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I make my smoothies on the weekends so I have them ready to grab in the mornings. I freeze them after I make them. The night before I want to eat it I set it in the fridge to thaw. Sometimes the next morning I have to set it in some water to help it along with thawing. I only do fruit smoothies, fruit and yogurt., but I have tried my friend's 'green' smoothies and they aren't too bad. But for now I am sticking with my fruit :) I think mine are very filling.
  • dragoness07
    dragoness07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes they fill you up as long as you remember to have some protein and fiber and some healthy fat.

Yep, that's the most important part :). I love smoothies, especially green smoothies.

Orange - Strawberry smoothie

juice of 1 orange
    100 - 150 gr Strawberries (or any other fruit)
    1 small Banana
    200 ml of unsweetened Soya milk (or any other milk - nutmilks are quite nice as well)
    60 gr cooked Quinoa (white, red, black doesn't matter)

green Smoothie with Avocado

1/2 Grapefruit
    100 - 150 gr Berries ( could be Strawberries, Blackberries whatever you like)
    1 small Banana
    1 Apple
    1/2 Cucumber
    1/2 Haas Avocado (my prefered type, but you can use any other)
    80 - 100 gr leafes ( either mixed leafes or just spinach, kale or again whatever you prefer)
    1 cup of water (or more depending on what consistency you like it)

If you like some extra protein you always could add some superfood smoothie mix.
    Have fun.
  • NSP310
    NSP310 Posts: 9
    Options
    If you make them right they'll definitely fill you up! One of my favorite smoothies is almond milk, spinach (it's not as gross as it sounds!), strawberries, blueberries, and ground flaxseed. Adding flaxseed or chia seeds adds protein that will fill you up. And as long as you've got enough fruits and veggies you should feel satisfied and they're a great way to start your day! I read this blog and he has a great "smoothie formula" in case you want more ideas.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/the-perfect-smoothie-formula/
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies are my favorite thing to have! I make mine based on what's in season, my current mixture is-
    Plain Greek yogurt
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Small banana
    Kale
    Spinach
    Raw honey
    Ice/water

Makes 24 ounces and is very filling!
  • jaredcollins77
    jaredcollins77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to emulsify kale/spinach in some almond milk. I'll add in some flavoring, fruits, yogurt, peanut butter, cinnamon. Yes, they're filling and very healthy.
  • nks798
    nks798 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, baby spinach/kale, whatever fruit but usually strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, banana.. sometimes plain greek yogurt and whey protein powder. To me, the fruit and protein powder is sweet enough that I don't need to add anything else to sweeten it. I drink one at 7 am and I stay full until 10:30ish at which point I have a healthy snack and I am ok until lunch at 12 :)
  • Redgal56
    Redgal56 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks everyone! :happy: