how to slim down upper arms

Options
hi again,
my goal is to lose 51 lbs. of which I have shed 15. so 36 more to go. my husband so gently and delicately asked me if losing weight will help my upper arms slim down. (of course, he says, he loves me the way I am and is attracted to me this way too, BUT just curious, if wanted to know if my arms will slim down as I lose the weight. they are kind of bulky and always were - even at my lowest weight of 130. I don't want to do exercise that will put muscle on it cuz it would defeat the purpose. any ideas?

thanks

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    The magical trifecta; deficit/strength training/cardio
    The only thing that will bulk up your arms is eating too much. And you should ask your husband if his **** would get longer if he lost some weight. Seriously. How do you "gently" ask that?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    1. Reduce overall body fat percentage - eventually your arms will slim down (everybody seems to lose from different places at different rates - your body has a mind of its own in this dept - you can't "spot reduce")

2. Increasing lean muscle mass is much more difficult (even for most men) than people imagine, especially if you're eating at a caloric deficit which is required to accomplish goal # 1. Go ahead and lift weights, you won't end up looking like Arnold (unless you start taking steroids and spend 8 hrs a day in the gym......)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will bulk up your arms is eating too much. And you should ask your husband if his **** would get longer if he lost some weight. Seriously. How do you "gently" ask that?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: if it did there would be lineups at every gym in the world!
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    You will lose it proportionally, you could lift weights to build muscle in your arms and that will make a difference but there is no such thing as "targeted weight loss." Don't listen if someone tells you otherwise.
  • depresseddancer
    depresseddancer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you find out how please let me know, I hate my chunky arms!
  • happywife2
    happywife2 Posts: 20
    Options
    hey, my husband is a darling! he said to me, uh, please don't be offended and I love you the way you are, but just wondering how weight loss works. he's never had to lose weight, nor lived with anyone that needed to so he was asking purely from wanting to know if weight loss affects shape and size of specific body parts. don't you worry, he also asked me if losing weight will affect my bra size cuz he loves it the way they are...just an innocent cute guy.
  • happywife2
    happywife2 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am losing weight by eating a calorie deficit. I did not lift a finger yet doing exercise. i'm kinda lazy and like to sit. if I start doing some exercise (which must be indoors cuz it's 100 degrees outside) what is the best one for someone with my couch potato personality and thick-ish arms?

Also, what is the minimum amount of time of working out that will actually make a difference. I hope to up my exercise with time but for now, i'm doing one step at a time and doing the calorie deficit thing.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: if it did there would be lineups at every gym in the world!

Actually for overweight men losing weight can make their ***** appear bigger as less of it is hidden in folds of fat. From Google a loss of 35 lb can make it appear up to 1 inch longer.

To the OP: you cant spot reduce but using weights will help.
  • KatC_88
    KatC_88 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: TRUE!!!!!!
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Your attitude to exercise sounds much like mine initially. I got a Fitbit because it gamified things for me. The corny badges work. Also, I have a treadmill in the living room, which I almost never used, because I always felt I had to do a certain number of minutes to get any effect--which was silly, because I spend a lot of hours watching tv and being on line, so why not walk as I watch? But once I got the fitbit, I saw it as an easy way to add steps and I didn't care about the amount of time. I left it turned on and would hop on and off, a few minutes here, a few minutes there. This past few days, I found myself not willing to hop off the treadmill until I'd hit thirty minutes--and this is now two or three times a day. I know that most of my weight loss has been due to changes in my eating, but upping the exercise is making me feel a lot better--especially as the poundage I'm carrying around lessens. I'm lazy--so it makes sense to stop carrying around the excess pounds! Good luck on your journey!
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    1. lose the body fat by calorie deficit and cardio
    2. increase your muscles in the upper arms (tricep, bicep, shoulder work)

I used to have the underarm giggle. But since I have lost weight and built up my arm muscles, my arms don't giggle as much :smile: