Ladies what do you look for in a GYM, Thoughts and opinons

Options
What do you wish you can see more of? ( as far as equipment, classes, etc).
What would be your dream gym?
Would you go to a gym that had pole dancing, kickboxing, zumba,pilates/yoga, Jillian Michael classes, p90x or insantiy all at one place?
What is your favorite equipment or class(that actually contribute to results) at the gym?

Replies

• lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    bump
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I don't look for any of the things you listed. I hate classes. I especially wouldn't pay for a gym that does the same workouts as a dvd that I can buy and do at home for less $$. I look for multiple squat racks, clean showers, clean locker rooms, spinning studio and not too crowded.
  • lknjohnson
    Options
    I don't look for any of the things you listed. I hate classes. I especially wouldn't pay for a gym that does the same workouts as a dvd that I can buy and do at home for less $$. I look for multiple squat racks, clean showers, clean locker rooms, spinning studio and not too crowded.

Cleaniness is very important. I hate going to gyms and the bathroom is a hot mess. Spinning studio... I forgot about that one. I heard you can get good results from that spinning class. Thanks for you answer.
  • lknjohnson
    Options
    Anyone else??
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    How clean it is. What the free weight section looks like. How busy it is at times I would likely be going. Are there any machines that are out of service? If I come back in a few days are they still broken? Do they have a free orientation when you join?

As for classes. Meh. I do TRX at my gym and a spin class occasionally since I find the Real Ryder bikes a hoot. Both are enjoyable enough I would recommend them.

My gym has a no cell phone rule. Its one of the best things about it. If you are there you are working out. End of story. We don't have people standing around talking getting in the way. Having a professional and friendly staff is nice too. But not required.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Pole dancing sounds and looks ridiculous, but I really like classes in general. There's a completely different energy when you're working out with a bunch of other people than when you're using a DVD at home. I've been to some really great classes that made everybody look and feel like badasses. The room can almost vibrate with energy, and I personally push harder when I see all the people around me working their butts off, too. It's almost like being at a great concert. Yoga and weight classes I like when the instructor gives me tips to correct my form, which is something I can't get from DVDs.

Favorites: yoga, step, Zumba, Bodypump

Must-haves: clean, affordable, safe, lots of equipment available, well-trained and helpful staff

Bonuses: Rooms where floor positions are clearly marked. The only gym I've been to that had this was my favorite gym ever. (I miss you, Rittenhouse Square Fitness Club!) Keeps everybody in classes from swirling around the room smacking into each other.

Dislikes: Godawful contracts, additional sales stuff pushed on members (powders and proteins, clothes, gear, and I even went to one gym that allowed a skincare salesperson to come in and push her products. Ick.) Classes that allow kids and/or spectators. (family Zumba? Kill me now.)

Right now, I belong to the local YMCA, and it's a fantastic facility. They have a very full schedule of classes, tons of equipment, and great staff.

Edit: The No Cell Phone Rule idea is great, too.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Suqat racks, free weights, no silly "No deadlifts" rules. Friendly staff, clean locker rooms. Not too crowded. Good selection of free weights & alternatives for when a specific machine is already taken.

On the plus side, my gym has completely separated the cardio equipment from the machines and weight room. It's good not to hear all the bips and squeaks and see people hamstering about while you're recovering between sets. Helps me focus :)
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Multiple squat racks!!!! Every gym I've been to has only 1, and it sucks. Especially when people are using the space for things that you don't need the rack for....grrrrr. Plenty of benches and free weights. Multiple hight boxes. One gym I go to has great tall boxes for box jumps and step ups, but it doesn't have any really short boxes, which I would like for certain things. My other gym doesn't have any tall boxes for box jumps...

Also, cleanliness. And bathrooms that don't smell like someone died and was left to rot for a week - gross!!

Are you starting a gym or just curious?

Also - no contracts and sign-up fees.
  • tolygal
    Options
    Oh - and open 24 hours (I go at 4:30 a.m., so gyms that open at 6:00 don't work for me)
  • tolygal
    Options
    Oh - and no silly "girls section"
  • tolygal
    Options
    Sorry - one more.... child care!!! Reasonably priced, of course...
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Clean!
    Plenty of free weights
    Space to move
    Friendly & helpful staff
  • lknjohnson
    Options
    Multiple squat racks!!!! Every gym I've been to has only 1, and it sucks. Especially when people are using the space for things that you don't need the rack for....grrrrr. Plenty of benches and free weights. Multiple hight boxes. One gym I go to has great tall boxes for box jumps and step ups, but it doesn't have any really short boxes, which I would like for certain things. My other gym doesn't have any tall boxes for box jumps...

Also, cleanliness. And bathrooms that don't smell like someone died and was left to rot for a week - gross!!

Are you starting a gym or just curious?

Also - no contracts and sign-up fees.

OMG i thought I was the only one that felt that way about the limited squat racks lol. I swear the gym I go to, once the guys get on it...... its over. they will be on that one equipment for one hour doing multiple things. Which is fine... if you was at home. but you not so move and let some one else go. lol
  • lknjohnson
    Options
    This is all great stuff. I ask these questions because I'm thinking about opening a gym for women and I want all you ladies feedback!!!

Bump

Give me some more!! lol
  • tolygal
    Options
    This is all great stuff. I ask these questions because I'm thinking about opening a gym for women and I want all you ladies feedback!!!

Why just girls? I'm sure plenty of people would like that, but I, personally, enjoy being able to go with my husband when we can and propbably wouldn't join a gym for women only. Plus, I enjoy people watching, and it's more fun when you get both guys and gals around!! And I like watching how men lift (some men, that is). It teaches me things (what to do and what not to do lol). But, that's just me!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    My gym has an impressive free weights section, which is what was most important to me. Multiple squat racks, multiple sets of dumbbells, and members consistently rerack their weights when finished with their sets. There's also a "core" room on the other side of the gym that has some light dumbbells which are great for my warm ups, and kettlebells starting at 5 pounds all the way up to 50 pounds. It also has a nice locker room which has private showers and full size lockers, That was really all I needed to consider becoming a member there, but they sealed the deal with a 25 meter pool, sauna, and steam room. They also have about 94 different cardio machines (treadmills, elipticals, stair masters, etc.) for the rare occasion I'm going to run.

Additional considerations were:
    1) The staff - Are they helpful? Do they know what they're talking about?
    2) The behavior of the other members - Do they wipe down equipment when they're done? Rerack the weights? Are they respectful of the space of other members?
    3) Overall cleanliness and atmosphere of the gym - Am I comfortable working out in this environment?

Frankly, I couldn't care less if a gym offers classes or not. On one hand, all of the females there for the classes take up a lot of space in the locker room. On the other, I can rest assured that since they're all there for classes, I won't have to wait for availability on weight equipment. :laugh:
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I don't care about classes, I just follow my own program. I want a clean, well ventilated, non crowded space. I don't want to have to wait for a cardio machine. Treadmill, elliptical, water rower. Before I was comfortable with free weights, I used the various weight machines. But now, its like the other ladies said.. Multiple squat racks in a must. And not talking about a smith machine, I refuse to use that. A Planet Fitness opened across the street from me, at half the price of my other gym. But I won't switch, simply because they don't have ANY squat racks.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I would definitely join a gym that offered pole dancing classes. That is a great workout. Lots of upper body strength needed to do the tricks and all that. I love pole dancing.

Right now I go to Planet Fitness and it suits me needs. I'm not a big class person -- I used to take a couple classes at the fitness center where I worked but that's it -- so no classes doesn't really bother me.

The problem with places that offer classes and other fitness activities is the monthly fee is usually higher or they charge an exorbitant amount to take the extra classes.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Pfffff awesome EYE CANDY of course!!!!!!! :bigsmile: Oh and some weights and machines n stuff!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    An elliptical machine.

I don't go to the gym for niceties. I go to work out.