My "Hungry Hippo"! ;)'

Options
Calling all Fitness Pals ~ Help! LOL ;)' I'm having an issue with controling my hunger in the evenings. Aarrr! I do very well during the day at work, I even walk an hour during my lunch and take the stairs... but as soon as I get home my "Hungry Hippo" comes out and takes over! While I'm cooking dinner for my husband and kids, I snack and eat, snack and eat. LordyB! I need to get this under control ASAP!!! How do you handle?!

Smile ;)'

Replies

• roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Can you snack on veg? I can't resist having a few slices of whatever veg I am chopping for tea but I reckon it is better than crisps/biscuits/cheese/...
  • SidsMom80
    SidsMom80 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum while I cook, helps me from taste testing everything
  • takuwinds
    takuwinds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. As soon as I walk in the door, my family is putting food in my face. Yesterday my husband was feeding me chips and guak. Then we ate dinner and then the kids were trying to feed me popcorn. Yes, we need a solution.
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    What do you snack on? I've found lots of awesome alternatives to what I want.

First off, I love carrots or cauliflower and ranch. But I make the ranch with greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Tastes identical!

My other new favorite is ranch/cayenne pretzels (I love ranch, can you tell?) There's quite a bit of sodium in these puppies, but it's healthier than a bag of doritos or something!

1/4 C Olive Oil
    2-3 packets Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix
    2 tsp Cayenne (this gets them with a good bite, change to your liking)
    1 lb bag Pretzels

Put in a big Ziploc bag (usually 2-3) and shake!
  • 1111OneLove
    1111OneLove Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the much needed tips and advice! I will try almost anything at this point... even wearing a fanny pack full of veggie snacks! LOL ;)' Thank you Fitness Pals ~ Have a Wonderful Day! Smile ;)'
  • rundrinksleep
    rundrinksleep Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hahah that's the term I use too! When I'm really hungry I say I have "the hungry hungry hippos".
    Not completely sure the solution... when I'm not exercising, drinking lots of water does the trick but once I add exercise water doesn't seem to cut it. I think I'll follow this thread and learn with you!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I know that I always get snacky in the evenings, so I make sure to leave a few hundred calories for evening snacks each day. I can eat without worrying about blowing up my calories for the day since I know that I already planned for it. It's made things a lot easier for me.