Muscle soreness

Options
I lifted on Monday after a 4 week break. I knew I was gonna be sore. I gave myself a break by walking on the track yesterday and no lifting yesterday. After two days I am just as sore as yesterday. How can I lift again today and work through the soreness? I have been stretching each day too.

Replies

• hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • johnnlinda
    johnnlinda Posts: 69
    Options
    I am always sore! I have found that working through the soreness helps me. Everyone's body is different, so you have to do what works for you. I have a good quality protein shake right after my workouts. If it hurts really bad, lower your weight a bit.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What muscle group did you work when you lifted on Monday? Try working the opposite muscle groups today. For example if you worked your biceps before work triceps today.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions. Rotate muscle groups, make sure you've got enough protein, DRINK WATER (flushes your system), do stretches before you lift and later in the day after you lift, take a walk to warm up.

BTW, 2nd day after is always the worst one for me.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions. Rotate muscle groups, make sure you've got enough protein, DRINK WATER (flushes your system), do stretches before you lift and later in the day after you lift, take a walk to warm up.

BTW, 2nd day after is always the worst one for me.

Stretching before lifting does not alleviate DOMS, and it is actually counterproductive in that it temporarily weakens muscles.

OP, try doing a more thorough warm-up before lifting (like 5-10 min on an exercise bike or rowing machine). Then do specific warm-ups, that is, light-weight versions of the exercise you are working up to. This is good practice for avoiding injury regardless of whether it prevents DOMS.

Overtime, you should adapt to exercise and not experience DOMS as much. It's common to be sore in all sorts of unexpected places when you are just starting out doing something new.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I have found I am not really sore with the cleaner I eat and the more water I drink. Kind of miss being sore, reminds me I did something...
  • hfox9707
    Options
    I did deadlifts, squats, benches, rows, bicep curls and shoulder presses, so I am sore all over hence why I planned to alternated every other day. However, my soreness from yesterday is just as bad today, even though i worked out on monday eve. I did drink plenty of water and stretched afterwards and stretched yesterday. I do eat clean. I feel like an old lady. I did make sure I ate protein afterwards and take amino acid supplements.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to take some Fish oil
  • bbateman123
    bbateman123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Dont lift heavy everyday, go 3 days a week (standard MWF or TTHS) whatever works best for you, also get adequate rest, drink plenty of water. Best thing for sore muscles is to lift weights
  • hfox9707
    Options
    Dont lift heavy everyday, go 3 days a week (standard MWF or TTHS) whatever works best for you, also get adequate rest, drink plenty of water. Best thing for sore muscles is to lift weights

Did you read my posts, I said I lift every other day, not everyday. I even know that.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I recommend just some body weight work. I lift 4 days a week and I divide my body in half (upper body/lower body). I lift heavy only 2 of the days.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Do some dynamic stretching to warm up and maybe include a 5-10min power walk or cycle session.

Then do the routine you planned to do, just don't go *as* hard - don't push yourself today.

After your workouts get plenty of potassium and protein. Try Fish Oil (as suggested) or Glutamine. I just recently started to take Glutamine and DOMS are not near as bad after my intense workouts.