I'm Lazy!

Options
This isn't anything new or ground breaking material here.. I'm lazy.. always have been

Today is my 15 days of logging in. Last week was pretty obselete.. but today is a new day and I'm going to continue on.

What is new, to me at least, is that I find I'm eating so I don't have to do anything else.. I'm still doing something right?!? (just coming to that realization)

It's been a cycle all my life, and I WANT to break it.

Next step is how?!?
Ok.. keep myself busy, well that's where i'm just LAZY! I dont' want to do anything. It's sad but I'm very content with doing nothing.

I'm not depressed, I work and have 2 kids. So, I'm really a referee at night. I help keep them occupied, break up fights and when there busy playing I sit.. and sit.. and sit.

So now I'm sitting here thinking of how to end this post.. ask for help? tips? Not completely sure what I'm looking for but I think this is almost like standing in the middle on nowhere shouting at the top of my lungs IM LAZY!! getting it out there so I can move forward.

Thanks for listening

and I know .. just get off your butt and move!!

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    When you're ready to make a change, the tools are here.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is changing the way you eat and your lifestyle.. You can be a couch potato and do nothing and Still lose weight.. you just need to eat the right amount of calories to lose that weight.. the less you do the less you eat.. Figure out your BMR, TDEE (you can search for these on this site), find it and eat it.. Unfortunately being lazy probably means no foods you may enjoy regularly.
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you've logged in for 15 days in a row, give yourself that much credit, that is doing something. I find that if I log in everyday I tend to lose more weight because I'm keeping myself accountable. If thats all you do, its a great start and eventually you may have the energy to take one more step. I started taking Garcinia Cambogia and it really boosted my energy levels, but it took about a week of being on the regiment.
  • kaleena1983
    kaleena1983 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Once you get into a routine (daily life with a combination of eating well and exercising regularly), it will be a lot easier. Celebrate little milestones and constantly remind yourself of your goals. You can do it! :)
  • hollygparr
    hollygparr Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I was lazy too! So I began moving by doing extra moves in the morning, so then the evening I could be lazy. Do something simple like a 10 minute walk. Then within a week or so (for me) I found I wanted to do more...now I find myself working out in evenings and choosing to move rather than sit.

Give yourself time but also push yourself a bit. Admitting the problem is already pushing you. So get outa this post and go move ya *kitten* :P xx Feel free to friend me if you need more support!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy too. You just have to do it. Do an active activity with your kids (sports, something outdoors, just run around, play a game where you have to move). It will give them something to occupy them and hopefully lessen the fights, plus it will give you guys a chance to bond and you will get a little exercise in. Or while they are playing you can do body weight exercises or cardio while keeping an eye on them. Just a suggestion. I take energy and listen to movitating music to get me pumped up to start working out. 5 hour energies or those pre workout gummies.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Find something you really like doing. Sometimes this is easier said than done - now it is summer and I want to be outside and go swimming all the time. I struggle during winter so I have to work more on finding things I like to do (wish the indoor pools by me weren't so expensive).

Since you have kids you could pick something to do with them and keep all of you busy. My sister has 3 kids and she is very active and we often go for walks, swimming, etc. She just had my nephew in March so a bit modified - one of us pushes the stroller now and sometimes we take turns holding the baby while one of us plays with the girls.

Find someone that will stay active with you with or without your kids :)
  • cmb67
    cmb67 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think one day when you're ready, you'll get up and "do something". in the meantime, as others have said, keep up the diary and be proud of logging (that's a big step right there). Also, see exercising as a wide variety of activities: throw the ball with your kids, take a walk with them, take the stairs instead of elevator, etc. Every little thing helps, and will make you feel less lazy.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Another lazy butt here..

Little secret... You really don't have to do anything else as long as you are within your calories you will lose weight. The thing that you will also find is that as you lose weight you will feel LESS lazy and the next thing you know you will start wanting to do things..like say taking your kids to play or for a hike or something like that.

Also you will notice that if you manage to move a little more you will earn some more calories that you can then use to eat yummy goodies ;) Honestly for me, I only move more so I can eat what I want, works great!

I lost the first 30-40 lbs doing nothing extra at all apart from what I normally do. For you, running after kids means you are already at least 'lightly active'. So just log your food, record anything extra you do and stay within your calories. Ill bet within a few months you will be itching to get out and move more ;)

Good luck!
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m3qgg7k4tI1r2zyogo1_1280_zpsf1b81f2f.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yep! You seem to be doing a really good job of excusing yourself because 'you're lazy', stop it!

You said you're content with your life.... Well obviously not all of your life if you are over weight?
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is changing the way you eat and your lifestyle.. You can be a couch potato and do nothing and Still lose weight.. you just need to eat the right amount of calories to lose that weight.. the less you do the less you eat.. Figure out your BMR, TDEE (you can search for these on this site), find it and eat it.. Unfortunately being lazy probably means no foods you may enjoy regularly.

YESSSS!!! the Couch Potato Diet!!! where do i sign up?!?

im kinda lazy too.. when i come home, this heat and humidity knocks me out.. i just want to come home and watch tv in my air conditioned recliner ;)
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    <--- This person is lazy too. :) I have found that being on MFP is very motivating though, and I WANT to go out and do something so I have something to post. I also read the positive stories about someone having biked so far or walked that many miles, and I get a little internal tug that says, "Why can't I do that too?" Probably my biggest problem (other than general laziness) is that I have an hour drive home after work. By the time I get there, I am exhausted. My new goal is to find something that I can do every morning before work, regardless of weather, and get up early enough that I can do it. I was awake at 3am today, not by choice, but I laid there thinking that I could get up since I was awake and get some kind of exercise in. ***Excuse alert*** I decided not to because I just didn't know what to do, as a beginner, and then I fell back asleep. Yes I know I could have just "done anything" but jumping jacks in an apartment at 3am was probably not a great idea, and my sleep deprived brain could not think of any other exercises. BUT, excuses aside, I know I CAN do it, and now I need to print a list of ideas to keep beside the bed for other instances. And I need to get out my exercise DVDs that I put in storage a couple years ago because I can also use those.

One step at a time, and keep moving forward. Cliches, yes, but meaningful too!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    This isn't anything new or ground breaking material here.. I'm lazy.. always have been

Today is my 15 days of logging in. Last week was pretty obselete.. but today is a new day and I'm going to continue on.

What is new, to me at least, is that I find I'm eating so I don't have to do anything else.. I'm still doing something right?!? (just coming to that realization)

It's been a cycle all my life, and I WANT to break it.

Next step is how?!?
    Ok.. keep myself busy, well that's where i'm just LAZY! I dont' want to do anything. It's sad but I'm very content with doing nothing.

I'm not depressed, I work and have 2 kids. So, I'm really a referee at night. I help keep them occupied, break up fights and when there busy playing I sit.. and sit.. and sit.

So now I'm sitting here thinking of how to end this post.. ask for help? tips? Not completely sure what I'm looking for but I think this is almost like standing in the middle on nowhere shouting at the top of my lungs IM LAZY!! getting it out there so I can move forward.

Thanks for listening

Oooh I could have written your post 6 months ago! I so hear you! I'm a stay at home mom to twins (5yo) who spend most of the day playing together (or watching tv) so they don't really need me. So I sit and do nothing... a lot.

I started workout programs at home in January, and joined a gym after a couple months, so it gets me off my butt at least an hour a day (they have babysitting). I try to get a walk in at night too. Because it's nice and quiet. The rest of the day, I still mostly sit on my butt (with some cleaning, laundry or dishes, obviously). But I've adjusted my calories so I've been losing fine. Remember that losing weight is 80% diet.

But anyway, for the times you're lazy and feel you spend too much time thinking of food... Find a hobby you can do with the kids around. I've played video games, watched shows/movies (on my tablet and with subtitles mostly so I don't scare the kids and can actually follow what's going on), joined a rewards program that gives you money for searching the web, doing surveys etc (so I make some money at least). I read sometimes but that's been the hardest to do. Mostly I guess I try and keep busy while 'doing nothing'.

Honestly though... now I hate it. I want to do things, I'm just stuck at home too much because it's too hot and humid, otherwise I'd be out hiking or something.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    For me, breaking the lazy cycle and learning to log and get off my butt and exercise was a matter of making it a routine. You need to pick a time where you can work-out, get things done, whatever! and ALWAYS stick to it. Eventually it will become a matter of routine. I really used to hate working out and would literally have to force myself to step on that treadmill. Now I can't wait to go to the gym and get my workout done because it is part of my routine. As a bonus, learning to be disciplined and getting rid of my laziness has allowed me to be more productive in other parts of my life like work and social activities.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    When it becomes a priority for you, you will change.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy, too. I decided to suck it up and start working out, though, and it became easier. I'm lazy, do my 30 minute workout, and then go back to being lazy again.
  • Scooby5544
    Options
    OMG...this cracked me up. I am lazy as well, but doing pretty good this week. How are you doing right now :smile:
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Lazy was a habit of mine for an entire decade. I had to start small and they eventually became big. But really it's true what the others are saying, you have to start by moving. There's no better time like the present. Also, think positively instead of negatively. An active person can talk themselves into being lazy if they start believing they are, and a lazy person can start being active if they believe they can. Self-fulfilling prophecy! Our behavior is our choice. When you read this post (if you read this post) stand up and do 5 jumping jacks. That's a start. Maybe you'll find that you want to do 5 more...and so on. On your mark, get set, GO!
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you think of something you use to enjoy, and start doing it again. Doesn't have to be exercise per say, just start doing something you like to.
    Every journey, whether a thousand miles or 1/2 mile, starts with the first step.