Breast-feeding

Options
I am breast-feeding my 16 month old son two to three times today how many calories would you add to the food journal. As I don't want to eat to few but I don't want to eat to manny. I have gain a lot of weight while breast feeding and I want this baby weight gone.

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    The burn is around 300 calories for non-exclusive feeding. I'd say 100 per feed, as long as he's nursing both sides. Kudos for the time spent nursing! My daughter stopped at 14 months and I was bummed. T_T
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    When we got to that point I dropped the extra calories. If you're gaining weight and it's not his primary source of nutrition then I would say you're getting enough calories. I can relate though, it's hard to know...especially when they're older. In the last week my daughter's started weaning (I think, she wanted to nurse again today).
  • jodiegarnett
    Options
    My two year old feeds 3 times a day, but there not massive long feeds, so I log 200 cals a day for feeding :)
  • cathynicolette
    cathynicolette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question. I've been back here for a while 2 months or so and I'm still nursing my 9 month old. I have been told 500 calories, but I haven't been logging them so I'm not eating them back. I think I'll do 300 since he nurses 4-5 times but only 15 minutes at a time and eats now.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'd go with 150-250. I did 500 before a year, then 250 at a year, and then we started having 1-2 times/day nursing and I stopped logging it altogether.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I would definitely log at least 200. He still needs nutritious milk. Even if it's not his primary food source. Congrats on still breastfeeding! x
  • robjenga
    robjenga Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So wait...I should log 200 calories every time I breastfeed?

geez. I'm gonna be way over.

WAKKA WAKKA!!!!!
  • cathynicolette
    cathynicolette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Haha. I would LOVE if men could breast feed. It's an amazing experience I feel guilty sometimes that my husband has to miss it... and I would have loved some help in the early days.
  • gia2384
    gia2384 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My son is 16 months, also. I log 300 everyday but my weight loss has stalled since I hit 10 lbs over my goal weight.
  • Jessimaaka
    Jessimaaka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'd say 200-300. I logged 500 until about 8-9 months when he started to eat more solids and I've dropped it to 400 as he still nurses first thing in the morning, before both naps, before bed and twice overnight at 11 months, Working on dropping those overnight ones and then I'll drop my calories again.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Thanks every one I think I will go with 300 and see how that goes. Last couple of days all he wants to do is nurse. He must be growing. I want this weight to go bye bye. Before I was not even trying to loss weight and then I saw a picture of me at the beach in my swim suit.