Neverending pattern up 5 lbs down 5 lbs...

Options
So, I'm seeing a pretty clear pattern:

Weight 07/10/13 135 lbs
Weight 07/01/13 133 lbs
Weight 06/20/13 130.4 lbs
Weight 06/13/13 131 lbs
Weight 06/06/13 129.6 lbs
Weight 06/02/13 132 lbs
Weight 05/17/13 135 lbs

Is this just the normal 5 lb fluctuation from my menstrual cycle or am I losing then gaining body mass? (It's TOM right now and bloated as hell-- but this "bloating" seems to last for 2 weeks or more sometimes). I also tend to under eat then overeat in correspondence to my cycle, so it's hard to tell.

Would treating PMS help keep my weight closer to a 2 lb. fluctuation? Anyone have any good homeopathic treatments? Should I go for a lower deficit and a slower loss (like .5 lbs per week consistently instead of going for a bigger loss and burning out after 2 weeks?). Should I just look at my weight once a month (same day every month) to gauge progress? It's sort of upsetting to see numbers like this and feel like I'm always spinning my wheels.

Replies

• lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Yeah, i am the same way. I am a few down, one up consistently.

I don't have much to lose now so i think it is mostly that. And i have been trying to change some of my work out routines and that has really helped.

At least overall i am going in the right direction.
  • depresseddancer
    depresseddancer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm having exactly the same problem. Few pounds on, few pounds off. For me I know it's slipping up and eating naughty things that causes it. Can I add you so we can see-saw together?!
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I also fluctuate like this all the time. I am always up and down 5 lbs. I just try to make the heavier 5 lbs my goal weight so anything under that is a bonus. I woudl rather have that 5 lb wiggle room and enjoy life than to carefully restrict my diet to fit specific calories every.single.day so it never goes up and down.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I also fluctuate like this all the time. I am always up and down 5 lbs. I just try to make the heavier 5 lbs my goal weight so anything under that is a bonus. I woudl rather have that 5 lb wiggle room and enjoy life than to carefully restrict my diet to fit specific calories every.single.day so it never goes up and down.

l like that approach. Similar to going 5 lbs under goal to eventually maintain at goal. So I should aim for 120 if I want to maintain at 125, not reach 125 then immediately start eating like a hungry hippo and end up back at 130 in a month.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    weight isn't static...you have a floor and a ceiling with natural body weight fluctuations. For most people this window of floor to ceiling can be 3-5 Lbs on average. If you're losing and gaining the same 3-5 Lbs, you're actually maintaining.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My goal is 115 lbs but I bounce up and down 5 lbs (usually more up than down) all the time. It's virtually impossible to maintain an exact weight. Just monitor that the ups come back down!
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for the last year and it really pisses me off :grumble: I'm changing up my diet and exercise a bit to see if it helps.

Add me, and good luck
  • Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    This happens to me too, but what cwolfman13 said was interesting. I know that weight normally fluctuates but I never thought to look at it as maintaining.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can't prevent natural weight fluctuations, it's a part of life and it's even worse in women. Foods high in potassium and magnesium and lower in sodium could help maybe but why the big push. Your body won't look or feel any different with 5 lbs. Heck, I can eat a pizza at gain 10 lbs.

Also, I can 100% tell you, it' isn't muscle gain/loss that quickly. It takes time to build and break down muscle. Things you can also look for is sodium intake and carb intake. A few high carb days alone will add more water as more glycogen will be stored.

At this point, take pictures to gauge progress.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My trainer likes to say that regular fluctuations show you're normal. If you're NOT moving anywhere on the scale every weigh in, that's more of a cause for concern. ;)

I usually bounce 5 either way, but when I drop 6, then it seems I can drop more and then start the bounce again. I just think it's what my body DOES and there's probably a science behind it, but I don't care to learn it. XD
  • Mareebzz
    Mareebzz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I've learned to live with it, and so far, I've only logged the losses, not the gains. I weigh myself just about every day because when I don't, I start to fear getting on the scale. If I stay off the scale for too long, I fear the gain may become excessive. Does that make me obsessive? Maybe. Does it work for me? YES, YES IT DOES. :drinker: