Paleo

Options
Cheers, everyone! *waves*

Recently overheard discussion of Paleo Diet and Whole30 diet. I've researched it in the internet, and they seem virtually identical. Is anyone currently applying this type of eating habit daily? What was your experience like? When or how soon were you able to see, and feel the difference?

Thanks in advance!

Nana

Xx

Replies

• Paleo_wolf
    Paleo_wolf Posts: 28
    Options
    Whole 30 means following a strict paleo diet for 30 days and slowly reintroducing certain things back such as fruit and maybe dairy if you want. There are paleo/primal groups you could join and get more info about it :) I myself am paleo and its a lifestyle choice and most start feeling/seeing a difference 3 weeks after they start eating paleo :) goodluck!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing an 80/20 (mostly 90/10) paleo diet. I love it! I don't really miss anything and my energy levels, mood, and weight loss have all been awesome. I can't dedicate all of it to paleo though, as I have been closely tracking my calories and my intake to ensure I get the maximum results.

I want to try Whole30 as a detox sort of thing, but as of this point don't see the need considering I only have a light cheat day once a week or more with a little wild rice or bean.
  • OrganicNotes
    Options
    I must look into these further! I've heard of Paleo, but never the Whole30 Diet. They both sound extremely beneficial. Thanks for the post!
  • 1der_Nana
    1der_Nana Posts: 41
    Options
    Cheers, Paleo_Wolf! :smile:
    Are there any newbie reads that are concise, and easy to follow? Am interested in giving this a go.
    Nana
    Xx
  • 1der_Nana
    Options
    Well done, @Cranshinibon!
    Now, I have not heard of 80/20 paleo diet. What is it? My apologies, ... sincerely a newbie here! *hahaha*
    Thanks in advance! :smile:
    Nana
    Xx
  • 1der_Nana
    Options
    Cheers, OrganicNotes!

No worries, mate! Love learning all bout what can be good for the body, mind, and soul (yoga & meditation). :smile:

Nana

Xx
  • CookNLift
    Options
    Now, I have not heard of 80/20 paleo diet. What is it? My apologies, ... sincerely a newbie here! *hahaha*
    Nana
    Xx

80 / 20 essentially means you have a strict paleo diet 80% of your food but allow yourself to introduce non-paleo items 20% of the time. A lot of shirts joke about it saying 100% paleo - 80% of the time.

I don't kill myself and not eat beans or peanut butter every once in a while, but just about every single dish I do eat is strictly paleo.
  • 1der_Nana
    Options
    Nana
    Xx

80 / 20 essentially means you have a strict paleo diet 80% of your food but allow yourself to introduce non-paleo items 20% of the time. A lot of shirts joke about it saying 100% paleo - 80% of the time.

I don't kill myself and not eat beans or peanut butter every once in a while, but just about every single dish I do eat is strictly paleo.

Interesting! :)
    How did you transitioned from regular eats to your current modified paleo? Mind recommending good reads on paleo without too much technicalities? I would like to give it a decent go, but am not certain where, or how to commence. Xx
  • CookNLift
    Options
    Nana
    Xx

Interesting! :)
    How did you transitioned from regular eats to your current modified paleo? Mind recommending good reads on paleo without too much technicalities? I would like to give it a decent go, but am not certain where, or how to commence. Xx

I have always enjoyed cooking, so making everything paleo has been rather easy, especially since I have never been a huge sandwich/pasta/bread fan - eating them only every once in a blue moon. My big vice was beans / rice since I puerto rican food has been a staple in my diet, but now that I fill myself with fresh veggies, protein, and paleo friendly products.

Being 80/20 makes it real easy because every once in a while I'll crave rice and I'll make a healthy choice and have brown rice or wild rice and have a larger portion of protein to avoid having to fill up on beans and rice.

Starting out you will make a few mistakes, but you learn from them. I personally have been staying away from butter and supplementing olive oil instead because of the positive health benefits from it (though there are still great benefits to grass fed butter).

If you want to start paleo, I'll give you a link of blogs that I follow and you can literally search up anything you want. What I did was search up food that I wanted, and looked for paleo recipes of them - noting what was different from the normal non-paleo recipe and seeing what the non-paleo friendly items were.

Paleohacks.com - A huge database of paleo questions and recipes
    Nomnompaleo.com - Great blog for recipes
    Robwolf.com - Intro to Paleo 101 plus recipes
    http://www.paleoblog.org/ - Another great reference.

Add me on here and I can send you a huge list of all the blogs I follow. Or you could google paleo recipe or paleo help blogs and their will be limitless resources at your fingertips.
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I followed Whole30 for the month of Arpil and loved it! It started me on way way to following Paleo 80/20. Whole30 is a 30-day super-strict Paleo reset/challenge. You only eat whole foods concentrating on grass-fed/pastured meats, if you can afford them, no soy products (soy is in just about everything!!!), no added sugars, no dairy, or processed foods. Check out http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/ to get a better idea. It's more of a reset to celanse your body and at the end of the 30 days, you slowly re-introduce foods like grains, gluten-free grains, legumes, dairy, etc. to see how your body reacts to them...bad gut, bowel issues, joint pain, etc. Makes you really think about how the food we put in out mouths affects our health.

I also saw it as more of a time that I changed my relationship with food....I thought I was a carb addict...Now, I can count on my hands how many times I have eaten pasta, crackers, and bread since my Whole30 ended! I didn't miss it and I still do not miss it! You also stay away from the scale and measuring tape for the 30 days. The concentration is on building a better relationship with food and not letting the numbers rule. At the end of the 30 days, I got on the scale and was 11 pounds lighter even though I felt like I had eaten enough to feed a large dino! ;-)

Since ending the Whole30, I have been sticking to it on the weekdays while not being so strict on the weekends and I can definitely tell a difference in how my body feels on those days. It was a great starting point for the Paleo lifestyle and understanding whhy it is such a great plan.

If you have any questions on Whole30, message me.
  • ErinG6191
    ErinG6191 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am just transitioning to Paleo and am looking for some friends- please add me!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about Whole30 or 80/20 myself but I recently cut everything processed, dairy, grains and legumes from my diet.

This was not for weight loss reasons but because my BF suffers from a rare skin condition (Hidradenitis suppurativa) that seems to react to processed food, sugars and nightshades. I decided to put him on this ''diet'' as well as follow it myself.

So basically we have been eating vegetables, fruits, nuts, eggs and meat (actually any kind of meat, non processed)

Like I said, I don't know much about Whole30 and 80/20. I think what we are following is Primal Blueprint.
    Anyways, here's the website if you want to look into it :

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats-the-difference-between-primal-and-paleo/#axzz2YfDKCTo9

It seems like there's a difference between Paleo and Primal, although it looks similar to me O_O
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Well 80/20 paleo is practically IIFYM! Love it! :drinker:
  • Denziee
    Denziee Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    bump.

I posted a topic yesterday to share Paleo recipes as i'm interested in it too but no ones posted yet!!! so i'll check out the blogs various people have recommended. thank you
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Cheers, everyone! *waves*

Recently overheard discussion of Paleo Diet and Whole30 diet. I've researched it in the internet, and they seem virtually identical. Is anyone currently applying this type of eating habit daily? What was your experience like? When or how soon were you able to see, and feel the difference?

Thanks in advance!

Nana

Xx

Whole30 is a paleo diet but one that restricts it further for 30 days you're not even supposed to eat "paleo" versions of sweets or junk food like paleo pizza. Often times even eating a strict paleo diet some people eventually get bad habits with finding paleo approved junk foods. Whole30 is kind of a purging diet to get rid of any of those bad foods that you may have started eating. Some people are too creative for their own good and can make some pretty unhealthy stuff despite only having prominently healthy ingredients to work with.
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about Whole30 or 80/20 myself but I recently cut everything processed, dairy, grains and legumes from my diet.

This was not for weight loss reasons but because my BF suffers from a rare skin condition (Hidradenitis suppurativa) that seems to react to processed food, sugars and nightshades. I decided to put him on this ''diet'' as well as follow it myself.

So basically we have been eating vegetables, fruits, nuts, eggs and meat (actually any kind of meat, non processed)

Like I said, I don't know much about Whole30 and 80/20. I think what we are following is Primal Blueprint.
    Anyways, here's the website if you want to look into it :

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats-the-difference-between-primal-and-paleo/#axzz2YfDKCTo9

It seems like there's a difference between Paleo and Primal, although it looks similar to me O_O

Sounds like your Paleo/Whole30! :wink: Primal Blueprint is pretty much Paleo but allows for some dairy and incorporates exercise activities where Paleo focuses on eating habits.
  • jacolbioverton
    Options
    Okay so ANYONE please help!! I am trying to gain muscle and intake enough calories each day. Since I ve started counting I have been under everyday! I started to take a super weight gainer 1200, but still havent reached my target once Any suggestions?.. ANYONE FEEL FREE!! TIA..
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    Okay so ANYONE please help!! I am trying to gain muscle and intake enough calories each day. Since I ve started counting I have been under everyday! I started to take a super weight gainer 1200, but still havent reached my target once Any suggestions?.. ANYONE FEEL FREE!! TIA..

Are you including any strength training?
  • auntiebev306
    auntiebev306 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I read 'It Starts with Food' by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig. They detail and describe the Paleo lifestyle without getting to sciency. In fact some of the explanations are funny but to the point. I got the kindle edition but then bought the book to share with friends and relatives.
  • mosseho
    Options
    I do eat Paleo and I recognized difference already after a week! Mainly mroe energy throughout the day, better sleeping and - what surprised me - my allergy was gone ( I was "dying" when everything started blooming ). I thought it was just accident and the allergens where not around, so I went back to previous eating style and the allergy appeared again!
    To be honest the beginnings with Paleo were quite difficult for me, but when I chose recipes for my breakfasts, lunches and dinners ( http://paleofoodcooking.net/ ) and set up my meal plans and start eating.... my body no more had taste for sweets, etc. Before Paleo, I was able to finish big bottles of Nutella within one day! :)