Scared to raise my goal weight

Options
This may sound dumb, and I know I will get alot of "why do you care what people think" type of responses so let me just say...be real, we all care to a certain degree.

Ok so my start weight was 224, and my goal is to lose 50 pounds. When I set my goal weight, alot of my family told me I don't need to lose that much (don't know if they were trying to be nice or what). But I am now about 14 lbs shy of my goal (pause for happy dance) and I am thinking I need to raise my goal some. 50 pounds would put me at 174, and my intention was to get there and then start focusing more on lifting. But, I would like to get my BMI down some more and lose some more body fat. The reason I'm scared to raise my goal is I don't want people being like "o now she's going overboard" or whatever. Anybody had this issue?

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Easier said than done. I know, I know, I know.

BUT - try to stop caring about what other people think. As long as you're doing it in a healthy way, get yourself to whatever weight where you look and feel the best. Be healthy for yourself.
  • rcm1579
    rcm1579 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 228 and my goal is to get to 175lb. People were telling me that as well "you don't need to lose that much"...well phooey on them :) After I hit my first goal then I'll aim for 150, then 130. In my case I needed that first goal to be something I could hit, then continue. Don't listen to other people, or even tell them if you don't want to. Do what YOU feel is right.

Rachel
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yes. I started at 340 lbs. And my goal was to get to 200 lbs. When I got to 200 lbs., I wasn't completely happy with my results and I wanted to keep going. And I have kept going, but I haven't really told anyone I'm continuing to lose weight. I'm at 174 now and I feel really good. But, I don't think it's anyones business to tell me to stop losing weight. It's my life and my body. And I want to continue until I feel comfortable in my own skin. I'm not being unhealthy. I am not even at a healthy BMI yet. I just do my own thing.
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    who cares what they think? Its your body and you can set your goal at whatever you feel may make you feel most comfortable. If you get to your goal and still don't feel comfortable in your own skin then try for a little lower. I'm also 5'5, started at 247 and my goal weight is 165 simply because I was there once and I completely felt comfortable with it. Just remember its your decision and if they can't be happy about it then oh well :)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    By "raise" do you mean "lower"?

Anyway, continuing to reduce goal weight at the upper end of the BMI is fine and normal.
  • FruitSalad76
    FruitSalad76 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    go for it . U can do it don't worry about other people. its not their life its your's
  • DucksandOranges
    DucksandOranges Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yup, and all things look/feel differently once you're finally at a lower weight. It's just about what feels good to YOU:)

Also Jessica - HOLY MOLY over 100 pounds lost! Looking at your pictures I cant even tell you were ever overweight! Amazing!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,166 Member
    Options
    Simple solution, just don't tell them. It is none of their business what your weight loss goal is. If I stopped losing when people started to say I had lots enough I would have stopped at a point where I was still obese.
  • pendii
    pendii Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When you say raise your goal weight do you mean you want to lose more than your planned or less than you planned?

Either way, as long as you do things the healthy way, go for it.

My first goal was to lose 50 pounds. I'm a few pounds beyond that goal now and I definitely want to lose more. I'm at 168 right now and am hoping to get under 145.

It takes a lot longer to lose weight as you get smaller, so just make sure you don't get discouraged when it takes more effort as you go along.

I have had mixed reactions from people. Some are very supportive that I want to keep going, and some tell me I should stop. I'm definitely not crazy skinny. I'm wearing a size 10 right now. One of my "friends" told me that because I have narrow shoulders, I would look weird if I keep losing.... I'm not really sure what that means exactly. lol. Don't let what people say get you down. I think sometimes people who discourage are actually either a little jealous or they just feel guilty for not making healthy choices themselves.

You're doing great! Keep it up!
  • Amy11108
    Amy11108 Posts: 74
    Options
    I wouldn't really tell them the specifics, just say you are living a healthier lifestyle now and if you lose weight then it is what it is.
  • BrookeLee2
    BrookeLee2 Posts: 39
    Options
    My family does the same thing. I lose weight and they all lose their minds for whatever reason. Apparently I'm starving myself because, there's no way you can eat and lose weight, right? (Sarcasm<_<)
    So, as long as you're doing it healthily, your goal isn't totally unrealistic (like your BMI would be under 18.5), and you're causing no harm to yourself, I see absolutely no issue with continuing or stopping where you are. Your body, your choice!:)
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yes. I started at 340 lbs. And my goal was to get to 200 lbs. When I got to 200 lbs., I wasn't completely happy with my results and I wanted to keep going. And I have kept going, but I haven't really told anyone I'm continuing to lose weight. I'm at 174 now and I feel really good. But, I don't think it's anyones business to tell me to stop losing weight. It's my life and my body. And I want to continue until I feel comfortable in my own skin. I'm not being unhealthy. I am not even at a healthy BMI yet. I just do my own thing.
    Congrats on you weight loss! That is AMAZING!!!
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Go for it! :)
  • Bellvillian
    Bellvillian Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @ BarbieAS This is such great advice. I will take it too. Thanks!!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Do what you want and don't tell nay-sayers about goal changes. It's not really their business anyway. Start lifting yesterday.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing! At my highest I was 250, i'm now 162. I tell people I want to lose another 15'ish lbs and they're like "oh no, thats way too small", "thats not healthy" blah blah BUT i'm doing it anyway. I don't think 145-150 is small at all and don't care what they say so im going for it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't care what people say. My original goal was 130, because I was that weight when I was younger (for a couple months), and I looked fine then. I've changed my goal to 140 since because I have more muscles, so it might be too much, but I'll have no problem changing it back to 130 if needed. My doctor wants me to be 150, heck when I told my mom I still wanted to lose 24 lbs she told me it was too much. I'm losing weight for me, so I'll stop when *I* am happy with it... whatever the scale says.
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I say do what works for you! I have girlfriends that tell me that I better not get skinnier than them. UM excuse me, I have been the fat friend for years time to pass the torch. I started my journey at 223lbs, got down to 179 and then got pregnant (12 weeks post delivery and have 19lbs to go to reach 179 again woop woop). Trying to get back down to the 170's and then we will see, because its MY choice. And if they are that worried then they need to get their lazy butts to the gym! You have accomplished so much dont let them rain on your parade!! Get it girl!
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I say do what you want and stop talking to people about it. Unless they are looking over your shoulder at the scale they won't know what you weigh. If asked, just say it's a lifestyle change and you are focusing on eating well and exercising.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Goals are meant to be assessed and changed as you progress. I hope I don't have the same goals at 30 that I had at 20, or I will have wasted a decade.