Are some weighted squats better than others?

Options
I've slowly been getting back in the swing of squatting as a rehabilitate my ankle. I'm happy about it. However, I have difficulty going into deep squats with my feet hip width apart. If I space them out further, I can get into a nice deep squat. I guess I'm asking if that's okay. Can I injury myself using a wider stance? I guess essentially I'm going a sumo squat or if you know kettlebells, I would be doing a "goblet squat" stance, where I spread the knees out a little further as I sink down. Is it safe that way? It just puts less pressure on my Achilles heel.

Replies

• kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    again...bump.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Squats at that width work your muscles differently, I wouldn't see an issue with doing sumo squats instead of regular squats (IMO) and they also help to lift your rear and thin out the inner thighs so I love sumo squats :)
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add, except that I remember hearing in passing that bodybuilders and advanced weightlifters tend to use a wider stance. IMO, I don't see much wrong with it. Be careful about going TOO wide, to where you might lose your balance or something. You know your body best, though.. if it feels weird, don't do it.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Thanks ladies (:
  • Bantams29
    Bantams29 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For what its worth, I just finished up some physical therapy for an injury. As part of it they had me doing squats and had me widen my stance a bit after watching me do them. Because of what they were doing with me they were unweighted, so overloading the bar wasn't an issue I asked why, and they pretty much said that the way my body is, and what I need to do for effective squats. I can believe it because I always hated squats because I found them uncomfortable in one of my hips. That problem went away when I bumped my stance out a little.