Little red bumps on my underarm?

Options
I'm starting to get some loose skin and stretch marks underneath my upper arms (my triceps), which didn't bother me because hey, it's pretty common.

However, I now also have what feels like lots of goosebumps under my arms, and a lot of them are pinkish-red. All the bumps are at the hair follicle like normal goosebumps, but a few of them look like little zits, and I have none on the top of my arm. They're on both arms.

Has anyone experienced this before? I wish I had noticed it earlier because I was at the Doctor just this Monday. xP

I tried taking pictures, but they don't really show up very well. I'll try again when I get to a place that has more light.

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this is the same thing but I would have problems during summer months and dove actually makes a deoderant that helps keep the skin clear and smooth. It has worked for me. I also hear dry brushing works for things like this as well but I've only just started.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this is the same thing but I would have problems during summer months and dove actually makes a deoderant that helps keep the skin clear and smooth. It has worked for me. I also hear dry brushing works for things like this as well but I've only just started.
    Do you think it would work underneath my arms? It was hard to describe, but it's not actually my underarm, or my armpit area. I guess I could call it the triceps?

Edit: Dry brushing might work. I am worried that it could be sensitive skin.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Look up Keratosis Pilaris and see if that fits what you're experiencing.
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    I had just found pages relating to that. It may very well be that, but I don't experience the itching that some of the others do. A lot seemed to recommend Bengay, though, and that doesn't hurt to try.
  • willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It could be a staph skin infection. I've gotten this in the summer when I perspire a lot. You can try an anti-bacterial soap several times a day. If it spreads and/or doesn't go away or the bumps get bigger (boils) then you'll need to see a doctor.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    If it's not Keratosis Pilaris (Which virgin coconut oil helps a lot) then it just sounds like a rash or irratation. Does it get worse when you exercise? Like your arms ( I call them my bat wings hehe) rub on your sides? If so you can try body glide or powder or something to help.
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    It could be a staph skin infection. I've gotten this in the summer when I perspire a lot. You can try an anti-bacterial soap several times a day. If it spreads and/or doesn't go away or the bumps get bigger (boils) then you'll need to see a doctor.
    Okay, I can try that too. It has been extremely humid, so I have been sweating quite extensively. Do you think that exfoliating would irritate a staph infection? If it's kp (as suggested above), exfoliation and then moisturizing can help, but I don't want to do both if it could potentially irritate my skin.
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    If it's not Keratosis Pilaris (Which virgin coconut oil helps a lot) then it just sounds like a rash or irratation. Does it get worse when you exercise? Like your arms ( I call them my bat wings hehe) rub on your sides? If so you can try body glide or powder or something to help.
    It might be a rash due to the excess moisture because I have been sweating a lot (it's been super humid the past couple days), but it doesn't really appear in the spot where my arms rub against my body.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I had just found pages relating to that. It may very well be that, but I don't experience the itching that some of the others do. A lot seemed to recommend Bengay, though, and that doesn't hurt to try.

It doesn't have to itch. I get these little bumps all the time and they never itch.
  • murphy612
    Options
    Okay, I can try that too. It has been extremely humid, so I have been sweating quite extensively. Do you think that exfoliating would irritate a staph infection? If it's kp (as suggested above), exfoliation and then moisturizing can help, but I don't want to do both if it could potentially irritate my skin.

Sounds a lot like a heat rash or something. I'd try to keep the area dry, out of the sun and cool and see what happens. I would not exfoliate, that will irritate it more. See how it is in a few days and then perhaps check in with your doctor.
  • murphy612
    Options

It doesn't have to itch. I get these little bumps all the time and they never itch.

I have Keratosis Pilaris, but it's on my upper arms not under them. Mine never itched either. It actually was pretty bad but I have almost got rid of it. Maybe 1 or 2 bumps now!! I wipe down my arms with Apple Cider Vinegar about once a week and I apply Organic Virgin Coconut Oil on them every day after I shower. I had tried a ton of different things even perscriptions from a dermatologist, but this is what worked!
  • Pearsquared
    Options

What do you generally use to alleviate them, or do you generally leave them alone?

@Murphy612: Do you exfoliate your arms, or just wash them normally? I'm absorbing information like a sponge because I'll probably pick up coconut oil tonight and I've never heard of kp before now. Also, now that I think about it, I may have had some on my upper arms, but I always thought it was acne. It's possible that it was this instead.

Also, where do you get the coconut oil? Would it be in a pharmacy or a supermarket, and what section? Or do you order it online?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That has happened to me. I quit using deodorant and quit shaving and just use soap and water, then splash on apple cider vinegar. It helps. For me it happens when I sweat too much or if I wear synthetic clothes.
  • murphy612
    Options
    @Murphy612: Do you exfoliate your arms, or just wash them normally? I'm absorbing information like a sponge because I'll probably pick up coconut oil tonight and I've never heard of kp before now. Also, now that I think about it, I may have had some on my upper arms, but I always thought it was acne. It's possible that it was this instead.

I always thought they were acne too, I also have issues with adult hormonal acne. NO I never exfoliate any of my skin. I have really sensitive skin and I read a lot about how exfoliating actually can make your skin worse by drying it out. A lot of people do it, but I don't and I only use oils as a moisturizer, never lotions or anything like that. I use Jojoba on my face and coconut oil on my body. It works amazingly. I get it at Trader Joe's for only $4.99 a jar lol It is with the other cooking oils http://traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=973
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    That has happened to me. I quit using deodorant and quit shaving and just use soap and water, then splash on apple cider vinegar. It helps. For me it happens when I sweat too much or if I wear synthetic clothes.
    Apple cider vinegar seems like a popular response too, thank you. (:
  • Pearsquared
    Options

I always thought they were acne too, I also have issues with adult hormonal acne. NO I never exfoliate any of my skin. I have really sensitive skin and I read a lot about how exfoliating actually can make your skin worse by drying it out. A lot of people do it, but I don't and I only use oils as a moisturizer, never lotions or anything like that. I use Jojoba on my face and coconut oil on my body. It works amazingly. I get it at Trader Joe's for only $4.99 a jar lol

Man, I miss Trader Joe's! I always shopped there when I lived in Ann Arbor MI. We don't have one in the area, but if that's the case, chances are I can probably find it at Meijer or Oryana (our local natural foods store).
  • murphy612
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar seems like a popular response too, thank you. (:

ACV is awesome :-) I even wrote a blog about all the wonderful uses for it, lol http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/murphy612/view/why-do-you-smell-like-an-easter-egg-273108
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    A gentle cleansing exfoliant always helps when I get irritated. It works to remove anything that might be clogging the follicles like sweat, dirt, and dead skin cells.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

What do you generally use to alleviate them, or do you generally leave them alone?

Also, where do you get the coconut oil? Would it be in a pharmacy or a supermarket, and what section? Or do you order it online?

I try to leave them alone because they don't bother me. But they are annoying so maybe I'll try the vinegar trick
  • notsoindifferent
    Options
    hey I have the same thing. I went to my doctor and she said it's pretty common and you just have to moisturize as often as you can and it will eventually go away.