Poll: Should calorie counts be added to more menus?

Options
The Wall Street Journal is conducting a poll: Should calorie counts be added to more menus such as in movie theaters, airlines, and food courts? I voted yes!

You can cast your vote at: http://online.wsj.com/community/groups/question-day-229/topics/should-calorie-counts-added-more

Replies

• kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    'Yes'!

They're about to get an influx of mfp-ers! :laugh:
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, to be honest. It isn't ALWAYS good to be obsessing over calories and the like, HOWEVER, I do think the nutrition facts (including the amount of calories) should be easily accessible if not posted.

I'm not sure I'd want the menu to specify the number of calories (in the instance I feel like not thinking about it and eating whatever I want) but I should be able to get that information at the place where I'm eating if I ask for it.
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am telling you I am voting yes on this poll. I do not eat anywhere any longer that I can not get online and check a menu and a nutritian information scale. There is no reason unless they are hiding something they should not be able to do this

Debbie
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I am telling you I am voting yes on this poll. I do not eat anywhere any longer that I can not get online and check a menu and a nutritian information scale. There is no reason unless they are hiding something they should not be able to do this

Debbie
    good points!!

55% YES
    45% NO
    currently

pretty close there......hmmmm
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    The business owner side of me thinks of the expense to the establishment to provide such information, especially if it has to be included on the menu itself.

The diet-minded side of me loves to have the information available.

A dilemma.

Perhaps establishments could make up fliers that have the info that you could request if you want it, but would cost them a lot less than re-doing all the menus? Because you know those extra costs are passed along to the consumer....
  • tesha30
    tesha30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    yes and this way.. people can actually see what their eating!
  • Hughes39
    Hughes39 Posts: 169
    Options
    Yes! Some people want to splurge on a treat (eating out) but want to keep it limited and not over do it!
  • p90xokc
    p90xokc Posts: 66
    Options
    I think we should continue to do the research ourselves. That's the problem with society today. We expect everyone to do the work for us. Do the research yourself before you go out to eat.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The problem with that is you can't always do it yourself....Texas Roadhouse for example, they do not have any nutritional info even on their website. So HOW would you find out?
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't know - having the calorie information stare you in the face will give restaurants the incentive to "cheat" on their counts - i.e. cook it without oil for the calorie count, but then use oil in the every day preparation. Then the information becomes worthless. I do think though that restaurants should have this information available on request - that way those who want the info can have it, but it isn't front and center for the diner.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think we should continue to do the research ourselves. That's the problem with society today. We expect everyone to do the work for us. Do the research yourself before you go out to eat.
    How can we do the research ourselves if the restaurants don't publish the information?

I suppose we should also look up the prices of everything before we go to the grocery store instead of having them posted there. Since we expect everyone do to the work for us .... :tongue:
  • jasonsplan
    Options
    I would say yes! It would be nice to see how many calories are in food and snacks. I have been paying much more attention to that since I started on My Fitness Pal. That would be good information to share with everyone.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The cost would be extreme to the business. I agree that it would be great but it would add cost. You can easily work it out for yourself. Just look at what is on your plate. If something has a creamy sauce then you know that it is about half a cup of doublt cream and 1/4 cup oil etc.
    If something has a tomato based sauce, add some oil and tomato. Then just add the meat/pasta/veg side of it. I have done this quite often and sometimes I am able to check against the published data and I am always very close. Some of teh results will shock you though! A large bowl of creamy pasta can push well over 1500 cal!!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

The problem is, unless a restaurant provides this information, it's impossible to know exactly what we're eating. There are so many ways to prepare dishes, and with baked dishes it can be especially hard to know what exactly went into it! Whole milk or skim? Reduced fat cheese or regular? Lean ground beef or not lean? You can research till your fingers fall off, but a restaurant HAS to provide nutritional information that reflects how they specifically prepare dishes if you want any real probability of accuracy.

As a previous poster said, I do look up nutritional info ahead of time and tend not to go anywhere that doesn't make nutritional info available - I'm okay with it being published online rather than on a menu (though the menu would be nice, if we decide to make a last minute change!) but I do think it should be published and accessible somewhere!
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It may cost the restaurants more to do the research, but they may get more business, too. I know I would eat out a lot more if I knew exactly what I am putting into my body. You can guess the main ingredients, but may not realize or think about some of the other ingredients they use. So, yes, I vote YES!
  • Skinman
    Skinman Posts: 24
    Options
    I voted yes. I feel any consumable item listed for purchase should at minimum, have the calories viewable in plain sight. Yes there might be the cost of new menus or stickers for marques, but the cost of health care in the long run and health insurance for obese employees should out way the cost.

Of course having the calories listed is the first part. There needs to be an awakening of people starting in the schools on how to use this information correctly. People might roughly know many calories are recommended daily, but then have no idea what to do with that information. In the United States I feel we have let down generations by just teaching kids you need a healthy balanced diet and then serve unhealthy foods at lunch. Oh sorry for the rant, but since starting MFP I see how many years I have wasted being obese and trying to find an easy way out when it only took a life style change. I know now I will need to teach my son what took me 40 years to learn. lol
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    How can we do the research ourselves if the restaurants don't publish the information?

I suppose we should also look up the prices of everything before we go to the grocery store instead of having them posted there. Since we expect everyone do to the work for us .... :tongue:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Couldn't help it, busted out laughing out loud on your response...priceless! no pun intended even! I agree with what you posted :drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    and the food places that don't carry it on the web? We should figure this out HOW?:smokin:

The first line in this person's response?........ the more I think about it the more silly it sounds!:noway:
  • kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    Options
    I voted yes, If not on the actual menu then definately somewhere accessible either online or by some type of flier. Went to Applebee's a couple of days ago with a friend. She ordered the stuffed meatballs and pasta. Looked it up when I got home 1550 calories and a crap load of sodium :noway: . That one meal was more calories that I consume in an entire day (although not for lack of trying lol)