8 months of trying...fail...depressed, need help

Options

Replies

• howgoesyourlove
    Options
    I weigh 5 feet... and just wish to look good...
    Like my friends...
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This is one of the hardest things I have tried to do also. I try think of this as a life time/style change, not just a "diet". I am also an emotional eater and breaking those habits are really hard. Tracking my food helps so I know where I am, but what helps the most is drinking lots of water or other calorie free drinks and the biggest thing for me is when I feel hungry, I have a little talk with myself and it goes something like this - are you really hungry, as in actually need food, or are you just bored, lonely, sad, happy, restless (that's the biggest one for me). I eat for every one of those reasons and more, but when I am actually upfront and honest with myself (I like to fool myself regularly), I realize that mostly I just want to eat because of one of those feelings above. I then try to distract myself (not easy to do) and wait 15 minutes and realize I'm not hungry and I really don't want to eat, I really just want to be doing something other than work. When I'm busy doing things I love to do, I'm not near as hungry and that is why I know I am an emotional eater. I have only lost 2 pounds and have been trying to lose weight for 20 years, I've been successful before, but always gained it back also, so this is and has been a long struggle, but one I am determined to win and win soon. Counseling may help also, me that is, not necessarily you. I need to find out why FOOD became my best friend and I need to learn how to break that friendship up and use food for fuel for my body only. Not easy! Keep at it, we will win the battle of the bulge!
  • howgoesyourlove
    Options
    Well...I wrote what i was feeling...
    What doesnt seem right? Trying to become 48 for a 5 feet girl? well...anyway..

And of course, i know i am not doing something right...i know i am eating too much...and hence the post...dont wish to defent myself, but just letting you know why the post...

Thanks
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    Hang in there. I am right with you - right about the same weight and trying to lose just a few pounds. Maybe focus on toning versus trying to lose. It is definitely harder to lose when you don't have as much to lose.

I do know that I tend to do better if I track my food every day (really makes me think about what I am putting in my mouth) and also if I can get in some exercise each day.
  • teenhamodic
    Options
    i think trying to go for 48kg (105lbs) to me seems unhealthy.

trying for 8 months and only losing 2kg, well, you're not doing something right.

coupled with that and your OP and thread title, something doesn't seem right psychologically...

sorry to be the only negative person here but really... i think people above me need to do some math and not look at pictures to give advice sometimes...
    You weigh 54 kg...which is 118 pounds. You want to weigh 48 kg, which is 105 pounds. How tall are you? This is not likely a healthy weight for you.

This is exactly what I was thinking...

got there before me lol
    Like my friends...

so referencing my post you have self-esteem issues. its not so much weight loss but self esteem - at 5 feet and going for 105lbs well... i guess being in india, i'm going to assume that any hint of muscle definition and you'll be considered a man? thats the impression i'm getting.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Like my friends...

Ok, if you're actually 5 feet tall, then 105 is an ok goal for you. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't aiming too low. =) Though right now, you're still a healthy weight.
  • howgoesyourlove
    Options
    Thanks a ton! I've copied and pasted this reply on my desktop sticky note :P
  • howgoesyourlove
    Options
    I feel so much better... Going to sleep with a positive mind...
    Tomorrow will be a new day :)
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat as you.i am sure most indian food is not even properly measured for its calorie content.Well all i can say is good luck and I will let you know the secret when i find out myself
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Pick one thing you will do differently THIS week, and do it. Just one. Whether it is going to the gym three times, taking a walk, researching some ways to replace unhealthy comfort foods with healthier options...whatever. Do it for a week. Next week, add another small goal.

I did not develop my bad habits in a day, and some of them are really challenging. It doesn't seem so overwhelming when I tackle one thing at a time.
  • Valkieran
    Valkieran Posts: 4
    Options
    It is hard to lose weight when you are stressed. Instead of eating take a walk. The exercise is a wonderful way to get rid of the stress and I find that after exercising I don't want to eat as much. I walk 30 minutes everyday. I also change the size of my plate and eating utensils. I bought myself a set of the Disney Princess Children's plates and I use those to eat my meals. You eat smaller portion sizes and you might find that you are satisfied. I have lost 49 lbs since Oct. 31, 2012. I have 16 more to go to hit my goal. Its easy to get frustrated, but work your program and it will work for you. Don't look for fast results, celebrate every loss, and accept the small gains. I'm confident that you will succeed in the long run!!!
  • CacauCorreas
    Options
    Hey, Nikita! You look so beautiful on your profile pics. Look, maybe you just need to go easy on yourself. I am facing the same problems when it comes to go to the gym. I go monday, then tuesday, then wednesday I feel to tired ... Thursday I eat pizza for dinner and friday I am already giving up. Every week is a fresh star heheheh But, what I've lerned from this experience is that no matter how many calories you are consuming or what people say you should do, You have to feel great about yourself. Even if you eat more than you should, go to the gym, go out for a long walk listening to your favorite music, dance in front of your TV ... Just keep moving ... This anxiety towards food usually leaves me as long as I keep moving... It naturally goes away. Give it a try! And please, look at you ! You are a very beautiful young woman :)
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Lots of kisses, from Brazil :D
  • Valkieran
    Valkieran Posts: 4
    Options
    You need 1200 calories to maintain your body every day. Let my fitness pal set a calorie goal for you.

And I'm Lisa, 46 from Chicago
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi Nikita, it is lovely to meet you.

I have trouble with binge eating and emotional eating. What I've found that helps is to avoid keeping sweets in the house except in small amounts, and to eat small meals during the day that have some protein in them. The protein helps to suppress appetite.

Instead of looking at your weight and thinking of how difficult it will be to lose it all, focus on making small changes on one day and not thinking about the end goal. Each day is a new start. Do something now, instead of waiting a day or even an hour.
  • bdahlia13
    bdahlia13 Posts: 26
    Options
    I agree with others! First of all, you are already beautiful! Don't despair so much! Next, do up your calories a bit by calculating your TDEE -20%. I THINK that you will feel less likely to eat junk food when you increase your calories and eat more protein rich foods (meat, nuts, greek yogurt...). Try to eat throughout the whole day. I am still new to this myself and I feel like "giving up" when the scale doesn't move the way I want it to, but I trust MFP and those who have experience. :) If you have a gym membership, attend the classes and don't be shy! You are there for YOU, don't feel judged by anyone! Just be patient and don't worry! Good luck!
  • suzclark66
    suzclark66 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with Connie! 1100 isn't enough! On days that you exercise you need to fuel your body up so it has the energy for the workouts. 1500-1600 is what my trainer had me on. Try seeing if certain foods affect your body...I know for me the minute I eat pasta, potatoes, or bread...i gain! Some people...dairy affects them. Aim for a balance of carbs, protein, and fats. If you reduce any of those too much, the minute you go back on them...you will gain. Don't give up! You can do this!!!
  • howgoesyourlove
    Options
    Pick one thing you will do differently THIS week, and do it. Just one. Whether it is going to the gym three times, taking a walk, researching some ways to replace unhealthy comfort foods with healthier options...whatever. Do it for a week. Next week, add another small goal.

I did not develop my bad habits in a day, and some of them are really challenging. It doesn't seem so overwhelming when I tackle one thing at a time.

Thanks so much for the reply. I am trying to cut down on my whites. Shall keep you posted! :)
  • howgoesyourlove
    Options
    It is hard to lose weight when you are stressed. Instead of eating take a walk. The exercise is a wonderful way to get rid of the stress and I find that after exercising I don't want to eat as much. I walk 30 minutes everyday. I also change the size of my plate and eating utensils. I bought myself a set of the Disney Princess Children's plates and I use those to eat my meals. You eat smaller portion sizes and you might find that you are satisfied. I have lost 49 lbs since Oct. 31, 2012. I have 16 more to go to hit my goal. Its easy to get frustrated, but work your program and it will work for you. Don't look for fast results, celebrate every loss, and accept the small gains. I'm confident that you will succeed in the long run!!!

Hmmm...children's plates! I love the idea! i'm on it! Thanks so much!
  • howgoesyourlove
    Options
    Hey, Nikita! You look so beautiful on your profile pics. Look, maybe you just need to go easy on yourself. I am facing the same problems when it comes to go to the gym. I go monday, then tuesday, then wednesday I feel to tired ... Thursday I eat pizza for dinner and friday I am already giving up. Every week is a fresh star heheheh But, what I've lerned from this experience is that no matter how many calories you are consuming or what people say you should do, You have to feel great about yourself. Even if you eat more than you should, go to the gym, go out for a long walk listening to your favorite music, dance in front of your TV ... Just keep moving ... This anxiety towards food usually leaves me as long as I keep moving... It naturally goes away. Give it a try! And please, look at you ! You are a very beautiful young woman :)
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Lots of kisses, from Brazil :D

Thanks dear! I am feeling great today. I dressed up, wore heels and put some eye liner...hehe! Thanks a lot for your encouraging words!
  • howgoesyourlove
    Options
    Hi Nikita, it is lovely to meet you.

I have trouble with binge eating and emotional eating. What I've found that helps is to avoid keeping sweets in the house except in small amounts, and to eat small meals during the day that have some protein in them. The protein helps to suppress appetite.

Instead of looking at your weight and thinking of how difficult it will be to lose it all, focus on making small changes on one day and not thinking about the end goal. Each day is a new start. Do something now, instead of waiting a day or even an hour.

Thanks a lot. I am trying to walk daily and cutting down on my carbs...let's see... :)