Obese and need advice

Options
I know there are a dozen posts like this every day, and it must get frustrating. I have searched the forums and read many old posts but I feel that unless I personalize it with my "stats" it doesn't really mean anything. So here it goes.

I am a female, 30, 5' 10", and my starting weight was 315 on MFP my current weight is 288-289. I have been using MFP since April. I have hit a plateau in my weight loss. I weigh daily and have been +- this one pound since June 29th.

MFP gives me 1630 calories. I have not went over my caloric goal. I have two food scales and weigh everything. I try to at least walk everyday and at least three times a week I do something more, exercise videos, swim, etc... I wear a HRM now to accurately track my burned calories.

Now to be honest. I rarely eat at my calorie goal, normally close, but leaving 200-400 calories and once you add my exercise calories sometimes there is even a bigger deficit. However before anyone says well thats eat just eat more, please remember I am obese stage 3. Everything I read says for significantly obese people to not worry about their BMR and not worry about eating at larger deficits. I do have my higher calorie days (cheat days) but I log everything and exercise and have not (maybe once) went over my goals. I did take a vacation (where I didn't log) in June, but when I came home still lost. I am not starving myself and I eat when I am hungry, I have also tried to eat closer to my goal more recently to see if eating more would get me over this wall.

I am gluten free, I probably eat too much sodium, I don't eat clean, I know I still eat things I shouldn't , but if it really is simple science of calories in/ calories out then why am I not losing?

I figured out my TDEE and even putting it at sedentary my TDEE- 30% (Which is what they said was safe for people who are obese) is 1756.

I am not lying about measuring all my food or lying about what I put in my mouth, and my older exercise calories were miscalculated by MFP but my more recent ones are not.

I keep trying to be happy for what I have lost, but I am starting to feel defeated.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Replies

• mrloserpunk
    mrloserpunk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I know there are a dozen posts like this every day, and it must get frustrating. I have searched the forums and read many old posts but I feel that unless I personalize it with my "stats" it doesn't really mean anything. So here it goes.

I am a female, 30, 5' 10", and my starting weight was 315 on MFP my current weight is 288-289. I have been using MFP since April. I have hit a plateau in my weight loss. I weigh daily and have been +- this one pound since June 29th.

MFP gives me 1630 calories. I have not went over my caloric goal. I have two food scales and weigh everything. I try to at least walk everyday and at least three times a week I do something more, exercise videos, swim, etc... I wear a HRM now to accurately track my burned calories.

Now to be honest. I rarely eat at my calorie goal, normally close, but leaving 200-400 calories and once you add my exercise calories sometimes there is even a bigger deficit. However before anyone says well thats eat just eat more, please remember I am obese stage 3. Everything I read says for significantly obese people to not worry about their BMR and not worry about eating at larger deficits. I do have my higher calorie days (cheat days) but I log everything and exercise and have not (maybe once) went over my goals. I did take a vacation (where I didn't log) in June, but when I came home still lost. I am not starving myself and I eat when I am hungry, I have also tried to eat closer to my goal more recently to see if eating more would get me over this wall.

I am gluten free, I probably eat too much sodium, I don't eat clean, I know I still eat things I shouldn't , but if it really is simple science of calories in/ calories out then why am I not losing?

I figured out my TDEE and even putting it at sedentary my TDEE- 30% (Which is what they said was safe for people who are obese) is 1756.

I am not lying about measuring all my food or lying about what I put in my mouth, and my older exercise calories were miscalculated by MFP but my more recent ones are not.

I keep trying to be happy for what I have lost, but I am starting to feel defeated.

Anything new diet wise? I know that when I adjusted my sodium intake down I saw some good losses. Also, we are talking less than a month at this weight zone, have you checked measurements? People loose in different ways, perhaps it's inches at the moment?
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on such an awesome loss so far!!! That really is awesome!

I ran your figures and your BMR and TDEE look pretty accurate to me. But I have to say that it's really only been 2 weeks since you've hit this plateau, so normally I would say "give it a bit more time." But you seem really frustrated and I'm sorry for that. So how about this: don't change up your food, but change up an exercise or two?

How about doing a few weight lifting/strength training exercises instead of walking or the DVDs this time? If you don't have weights, you can get some fairly inexpensive resistance bands at Target or WalMart or wherever. Sometimes when you hit a plateau, simply "changing things up" can make all the difference.

Best of luck!
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A few questions:

1. How much water are you consuming daily? Perhaps it hasn't been enough. It's something simple that a lot of people overlook.

2. Piggybacking off #1 are you meeting your fiber and other micro nutrient needs? A lot of people get caught up in just meeting the macro number (calories comprised of protein, carbs and fats) and don't meet their micros which are made up fiber, vitamins and other minerals.

3. What kind of training do you do? Hopefully you incorporate some kind of strength training and not just cardio and the like although steadily meeting your numbers alone you should be seeing steady progression. Don't give up.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My stats were close to yours when I started, and I started with a similar calorie allowance.

I wouldn't recommend eating below the 1600 calories mfp suggests on days that you don't exercise, and would be sure to eat more on the days that you do exercise.

Two weeks at the same weight is not long enough to start worrying. You won't lose weight every week. It's the trend over time that matters.
  • marigoldof4
    marigoldof4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A few questions:

1. How much water are you consuming daily? Perhaps it hasn't been enough. It's something simple that a lot of people overlook.

2. Piggybacking off #1 are you meeting your fiber and other micro nutrient needs? A lot of people get caught up in just meeting the macro number (calories comprised of protein, carbs and fats) and don't meet their micros which are made up fiber, vitamins and other minerals.

3. What kind of training do you do? Hopefully you incorporate some kind of strength training and not just cardio and the like although steadily meeting your numbers alone you should be seeing steady progression. Don't give up.

1. I drink roughly 8-12 glasses a day. I have a 16oz water bottle that I fill 4-6 times a day.
    2. I am just getting into looking at any of this. I have not had very balanced calories up until more recently when I am really trying to make sure I am hitting these goals, so defiantly something I will work harder on.
    3.I do mostly do cardio. I honestly am not sure what strength training really encompasses except weights. I do sit ups, pushups (girl ones) I have a resistance band and do those workouts sometimes too. I belong to the Y and have done the weight machines but I generally feel very silly. I am not really sure what to do here.

Thanks for your help!
  • marigoldof4
    Options
    Congratulations on such an awesome loss so far!!! That really is awesome!

I ran your figures and your BMR and TDEE look pretty accurate to me. But I have to say that it's really only been 2 weeks since you've hit this plateau, so normally I would say "give it a bit more time." But you seem really frustrated and I'm sorry for that. So how about this: don't change up your food, but change up an exercise or two?

How about doing a few weight lifting/strength training exercises instead of walking or the DVDs this time? If you don't have weights, you can get some fairly inexpensive resistance bands at Target or WalMart or wherever. Sometimes when you hit a plateau, simply "changing things up" can make all the difference.

Best of luck!
    I am frustrated and to me it seems like its been so long but when you put it into the term 2 weeks that doesn't sound that bad. Thank you for your support it helps!
  • marigoldof4
    Options
    @mrloserpunk- no I haven't checked my measurments in a while. My kids broke my measuring tape :)

@Ismsrbls Thanks for your support, I have a hard time eating at the recommended calories but I am trying harder now, at first I figured the lower I could go the better.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    While it's true that your body can handle a larger deficit since you are obese, there's still a chance that you're not eating enough and I would still recommend that you try to hit at least the goal that MFP gives you plus your exercise calories, or most of them. You will still lose weight using that method as there is plenty of calorie deficit there.

Normally plateuas and fluctuations are due to water weight. Your sodium levels can play a major part in this so trying to stay within your daily limit is important. And as someone else eluded to - water intake as that will help balance it out. Water weight can also be due to a change in activity. Have you tried any new exercices lately or increased the intensity in other ways? This usually results in water weight as the muscles will retain water and glycogen as part of the natural healing process. Muscle soreness is usually a good indicator of this but not everyone feels those after affects. Other factors are monthly cycle, meds and other health issues.

If you haven't already, start using other tools to measure your progress like body measurements, progress pictures and paying close attention to how your clothes are fitting. Sometimes the scale shows no change while other changes will be taking places. I went through a period of about 6 months where I only lose about 10 pounds but lost about 10 inches on my waist!

Most of all, keep in mind that this is the first of many of these platueas that you'll come across along the way to goal. It's something no one really talks about when discussing weight loss but it s a huge part of it. I know it can be frustrating but you just have to keep up the good work and remember that it will pay off in the end.
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would suggest changing up your exercise routine. I started at 317 and am currently stuck around the same weight as you. I haven't lost anything since April but it may be due to my exercise. I was losing a lot of inches when I was doing 30 day shred but now that I am only doing the elliptical and weight lifting, I have been stuck. Try changing your routine around and see what happens. I am going to start 30 day shred again and see what happens. Just keeping going, dont give up!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

It has only been 11 days. Just give it more time.
  • sarm1977
    sarm1977 Posts: 9
    Options
    You mentioned "cheat" days, which I feel are a good thing to keep you sane through your journey. And it's good that you still log on those days. Have you calculated your average calories including those cheat days? I'd check that as a first step, because it's very easy to do with pencil, paper, and calculator. Or to track it long term all you need is one column of numbers on Excel. Your cheat days may be bringing your average up higher than expected. I'm at a 4 week long plateau right now myself, so I know the frustration. I'm looking to change something up. In the past changing even one thing has helped me break the plateau and get weight loss rolling again. One last thing: Maybe try not to weigh yourself everyday. Perhaps the disappointment everyday is stressing you out making it more dificult to lose. Try once a week for a while. Even if you haven't lost in a week, take an hour to reflect on it, then move on with your next 7 days!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    June 29th was less than two weeks ago. This does NOT qualify as hitting a pleatau...it could be something as simple as your body adusting to changes, hormonal fluctuations or higher and normal sodium intake due to restaurant food or something so simple.

Be patient, drink lots of water, and keep at it. You've done really well thus far with your losses since April...hang in there, and don't get discouraged (its a marathon, not a sprint, and there will be slower periods of loss). :flowerforyou:
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    12 days with no change is not a plateau. I know it's frustrating, but keep doing what you are doing for now! :flowerforyou:
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    First congrats on your loss! I think that a lot of really great points have been mentioned -
    * Try to change up your exercise - definitely add in some strength training building up your muscle will increase your metabolism
    * Try some clean eating and watch the sodium - I did not lose for 2 weights and I could tell it was bloating - I watched my sodium and the next week I ended up losing 4 lbs - calories in and calories out is true and all but if you are retaining water - it keeps the lbs on...
    * How are your clothes fitting? Even without a measuring tape can you tell a difference in the fit? While dieting I always have a goal piece of clothing - every week without a loss I try on my goal clothes to see where I am. I know that I have been complaining about my (lack of) loss and he laughs at me... he keeps bringing up that I look (and feel) completely different from when I started - and that is what matters
    * Have you been to the doctors? Get all your levels checked- especially your thyroid - it will ensure that there are no medical issues holding you back as well as give you a baseline to check your progress.

And my favorite piece of advice "Just Keep Swimming" (gotta love Dorie) I swear my body LOVES to hold on to the fat - but i refuse to let the fat win - everyday I work out and eat healthy I am getting stronger and the weight will come off! Keep up the good work and remember how far you have come!
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    Weighing daily is probably not a good idea either. If you weighed weekly you would have only noticed it once or twice and maybe by the next weighin you'd have lost a lb or 2.

You're doing great and, although plateaus are a pain in a certain part of the anatomy, we all get them. Keep up the good work!

Best Wishes.
  • chaceanne
    chaceanne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your SUCCESS to date! You belong to the Y! Ask someone what programs are available to help you meet your goals. Our Y offers a verity of programs and classes, including, what they refer to as 101 classes to help remove the intimidation or feeling silly, for people like me, who are just getting started in group exercise. My family joined our Y about 2 months ago and we signed up for an 8 wk nutrition and workout program and I'm loving it! We meet with a trainer, go over out food diaries and then she works us for an hour, teaching us various workout routines, from the weight machines to TRX to hand weights and kettle bells. Although, this program was an additional fee, for us it was well worth it, it's teaching us different ways to workout, which keeps us from getting bored. I bet your Y has something similar or maybe even just sign up for a few sessions with one of the trainers to learn more workouts, you don't have to only do the machines to work with weights. I've belonged to several other gyms and have to say the Y is by far my favorite...I don't dread going there. Good luck and keep going.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Good luck. : )
  • marigoldof4
    Options
    :blushing: OK, maybe it has only been 11 days... I guess it just seemed so sad when at first it was going so well. My clothes fit me looser and I do feel better. I am nowhere near quitting. Thank you all for your support and advice. I have small weights here at home, anyone have any tips for what strength training should look like for me?
    I will power through and remind myself that I most certainly did not get here in a day!
    Thanks again!
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    :blushing: OK, maybe it has only been 11 days... I guess it just seemed so sad when at first it was going so well. My clothes fit me looser and I do feel better. I am nowhere near quitting. Thank you all for your support and advice. I have small weights here at home, anyone have any tips for what strength training should look like for me?
    I will power through and remind myself that I most certainly did not get here in a day!
    Thanks again!

You might consider something like 30 Day Shred...something that incorporates some strength training with the cardio. I started it when I weighed 265 or so. It was a killer and I've had to modify some of the jumping exercises, but I like that she tells you exactly what to do, and when to switch activities. And it only lasts 20 minutes, which is good for someone like me who has never cared for exercise. All you need are some hand weights and maybe a mat for the lying down exercises.