Marathon Training - getting back at it!

Options
Hi all!
I've been a part of MFP for a good while, but never really used it to its full use! I want to introduce myself. I'm an runner, working towards my second Marathon coming up in December. I run for time, and my current PR in the full is 3:15. I of course want to beat that. I have let my training slack a bit over the past couple years due to lingering stress fractures caused by over training. BUT, ready to get back at it in a much smarter way. I'm so excited to be training for this next marathon! Its going to take alot out of me again, but I know I can do it with encouragment and friends. I'll be training in intense Florida heat and humidity which makes things ALOT more challenging, but BRING IT!

Anyone else training for races or just run in general?

Replies

• Jdiaz72
    Jdiaz72 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am a runner too and sign up for at least 4 runs a year.

I have two half marathons coming up in the Fall...San Fran Nike in Oct and Berkeley half in November. My goal is to be lighter so I can run faster!

I would also like to train for a marathon but i cant even think of it until i can get this weight off. Unfortunately after my 20 mile run last year when I was training for a FULL- I got vertigo and then gained some weight being depressed about it. I really need to shave at least 10 lbs off. Just hard to carry it around.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I just started half-marathon training and have two halfs coming up in early October and another on Thanksgiving. Then I jump right into marathon training for a late March race.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Never really stop - four seasons runner :)
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    I am training for my first full marathon. It's in the north of England in Autumn, so I don't think that the heat will be too bad. However, training for it throughout summer promises to be brutal if I don't get into getting up early.
  • missafromtheblock
    missafromtheblock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first full marathon, and wonder if it's even possible to lose weight while training. I didn't lose much weight at all while training for the two half marathons I ran this spring, but I did lose inches.
    However, I know I'll be faster if I can get about 15lbs off- so I'm going to try.
    It's telling me that my goal calories are 1,200 per day, and I wonder if that's enough to get me through tough workouts.
  • lucyprunner
    Options
    Good luck for your race. I've got 6 marathons this year :)
  • srevels85
    srevels85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first full marathon, and wonder if it's even possible to lose weight while training. I didn't lose much weight at all while training for the two half marathons I ran this spring, but I did lose inches.
    However, I know I'll be faster if I can get about 15lbs off- so I'm going to try.
    It's telling me that my goal calories are 1,200 per day, and I wonder if that's enough to get me through tough workouts.

The nutrition part of training is DEFINITELY something I stuggle with! Its hard to figure out how much, how little, and also make sure you are getting all the correct amounts of nutrients while you put your body through so much. Thats something I'm slowly trying to learn.
  • srevels85
    Options
    Good luck for your race. I've got 6 marathons this year :)

Thats amazing! WHEW! Good luck to you as well!
  • srevels85
    Options
    Hi!

I am a runner too and sign up for at least 4 runs a year.

I have two half marathons coming up in the Fall...San Fran Nike in Oct and Berkeley half in November. My goal is to be lighter so I can run faster!

I would also like to train for a marathon but i cant even think of it until i can get this weight off. Unfortunately after my 20 mile run last year when I was training for a FULL- I got vertigo and then gained some weight being depressed about it. I really need to shave at least 10 lbs off. Just hard to carry it around.

I'm trying to shave about 10lbs off myself. When I was my fastest, I was 10lbs lighter than I am now.
    BTW, totally jealous you are doing the San Fran Nike! One year I'll make it out there to do it:)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! I'm training for a full in October...
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have Ragnar next week, a trail half,trail 35K, and road 10miler next month, then training for a 50K in October.
  • run_shayna_run
    Options
    I just got a stress fracture in my navicular bone from training for my first marathon. What types of things did you do to recover?
  • srevels85
    Options

awesome! Are you doing the Marine Corps?
  • eautrey124
    eautrey124 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start training for my first half marathon next March. I'm not much of a runner, but I really want to start! Hopefully I can stick to it this time!
  • srevels85
    Options
    I just got a stress fracture in my navicular bone from training for my first marathon. What types of things did you do to recover?

I'm so sorry to hear you're injured! Majority of the time, 4-6wks of rest will take care of it. However, with mine, two times I had to actually wear a walking boot. It just depends on how long you let it go before you stopped running. You can still Cross Train (Bike, Swim, Elliptical), but if you're like me, I HATED all that! I did get into the Aqua Jogging a bit, but, equally just as boring. Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • srevels85
    Options
    I'm about to start training for my first half marathon next March. I'm not much of a runner, but I really want to start! Hopefully I can stick to it this time!

Nice! My best advice to you would be to try to find a running group where you live. Running is a mental sport, but being with like minded people doing the same thing, working towards the same goals can make all the difference!! Good luck!
  • run_shayna_run
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to the foot dr next week and am wearing a boot now as a precautionary measure to aid in healing. I've been doing a lot of rowing and ski ergo machine. Only runners understand that it is torture to stop sweating :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

awesome! Are you doing the Marine Corps?

It is the Towpath Marathon at Cuyahoga Valley National Park in Ohio (outside of Cleveland)
  • cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm training for 2 half-marathons in the fall, followed by a marathon in November. I love running and pushing myself to increase my distance/improve my time, but I still struggle with nutrition and following a diet like I should. Feel free to add me!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Training for my 4th in October. My pace is right around your PR pace. I'm about 6 pounds from where I want to be. I'd like to take that off in the next 7 weeks.