These carbs are stressing me!

Options
Ok so I was told that I need to lower my daily carb count...but just about everything has carbs! I really enjoy my Special K cereal for breakfast, but noticed that has about 26 carbs per serving, along with my Almond milk which has about 16 carbs per serving!

Anyone have any good tips on keeping the carb count down?

Thanks!

Replies

• spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Hi... I see your in this club too... I usually keep my carbs to NO MORE than 30 per meal.. thats very low... same with sugar, its not easy.. but a few suggestions are....

Eat more protein than anything, like eggs for breakfast with fruit,

or tuna with lettuce instead of bread,

and steak and vegtables instead of potatoes....

also. if you have a kroger, carb lite yougart is good too...

Easier said than done I know... But beware of Fat Free foods.. THey have LOTS MORE CARBS... use 2% chesses instead... or light dressings.. like italian or ranch lite..t hey re the best that I have found.. good luck to you and if you need more suggestions let me know...

I had a bad Birthday Month.. so SEPT first i am back to "REALITY" . Just went shopping.. I still log.. but if you look.. ITS HORRIBLE....
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Sure. Eat more meat. :happy: Seriously, if you feel you're eating too many carbs, increasing your protein intake with help. Also, eat lots of veggies. Sure, they have carbs, but veggies have good for you carbs along with vitamins and fiber. For example, you could replace your cereal breakfast with eggs. Do you find that you're hungry after eating cereal? I, personally, find that a protein/veggie breakfast keeps my blood sugar steady and my appetite down. Different things work for different people. If you're looking for detailed advice on carb control, I recommend reading up on the South Beach Diet. Even if you don't feel it's right for you, there are loads of fantastic carb-controlled recipes and meal suggestions for SBD.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Log fiber and sugar... both are considered carbs, but fiber is "good" carbs. Also, make sure you're being mindful of where your sugars are coming from, because fruit sugars are better for you than refined sugars... personally, if I can see that I've gone over my carbs on natural sugars, I don't get too concerned (although balance is the ultimate goal!).
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Limit the grain products, potatoes, corn, rice , carrots, high sugar fruits and stuff labeled "low fat". I assume you have already cut out the processed pre packaged foods and sugars. Also watch some of the sugar substitutes. Use google to find some of the lower sugar content fruits and vegies that contain less carbs. Yes fruits and vegies are good for you, but some do have very high carbs in them.

Good luck!
  • Superman79
    Options
    If y eat clean and cut out as much processed junk then you'll be fine. People who stress over carbs aren't eating right to begin with. Your body needs carbs to operate, cutting them too low will cause fatigue and many other health problems. Just cut out refined sugars, artificial sweeteners, any processed frozen and pre prepared meals. Reduce your red meat intake and go with fish or chicken. Eat as many fruits and veggies (raw) as you can. Start eating Kashi brand cereals or oatmeal for breakfast. Another good smoothie treat for breakfast or dessert: Berry Smoothie
    1/2 Full fat coconut milk
    1/2 water
    1tbs Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 cup frozen or fresh mixed organic berries
    1/2 banana
    Agave nectar to sweeten
    And Bam! Breakfast that's filling and full of nutrients. You can aslo add a protein powder or a veggie like Kale,
    Hope this helps.
  • kskye82
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the advise! I'm so new to paying attention to my food intake and logging everything! So I'm just trying to figure everything out!
    I'm going to try to not over stress about the carbs because I do in fact get very tired when I cut a lot out, so I will just keep striving for healthy meals and snacks!

Thanks again!
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    Don't stress over carbs. Eat more protein and drink protein shakes and smooties for breakfast. You can fill up with fiber and friuts also. good luck.
  • presidentfox
    Options
    Not all carbs are bad carbs. You know that I'm sure. The same for fats. We need some carbs and some fats as well as good quality protein. I load my daily diet with carbs earlier when I need the energy and start to taper off as the day progresses. My first meal is very high in carbs. It is oatmeal with 2% milk, strawberries, and Kashi Go Lean. I add some protein powder to get the extra protein and calories before my workout. I add cinnamon and some Splenda for taste.

My workout nutrition is about 50-50 protein and carbs at about 400 calories to compensate for the training. The mid-moring meal is oatmeal with less protein powder. Lunch is skinless chicken with vegetables. I have a 300-calorie mid-afternoon meal replacement shake (very good) then a significant piece of lean meat with a lot of green veggies for dinner about an hour before bed. Absolutely nothing after that final protein-rich meal.

When we consume carbs and fats has a lot to do with how our bodies respond to the macro nutrients. Fats are more than twice as calorie rich as either carbs or protein so one must be very aware of the fat content of all foods. Even the good fats are 9 calories per gram compared to 4 calories per gram of protein or carbohydrate. Use the fat sparingly if you want to reduce your body fat.

I'm a man and I train hard so my calories are going to be higher than most women but the concept is the same for everyone. My father taught me to, "eat to live" rather than "living to eat." Treat food like fuel. Find fuel that you enjoy but don't let the taste buds rule your life. I have seen a lot of people take control of their lives and find great joy in living a life full of energy. You can do it too. Go for it.

President Fox
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Not all carbs are bad carbs. You know that I'm sure. The same for fats. We need some carbs and some fats as well as good quality protein. I load my daily diet with carbs earlier when I need the energy and start to taper off as the day progresses. My first meal is very high in carbs. It is oatmeal with 2% milk, strawberries, and Kashi Go Lean. I add some protein powder to get the extra protein and calories before my workout. I add cinnamon and some Splenda for taste.

My workout nutrition is about 50-50 protein and carbs at about 400 calories to compensate for the training. The mid-moring meal is oatmeal with less protein powder. Lunch is skinless chicken with vegetables. I have a 300-calorie mid-afternoon meal replacement shake (very good) then a significant piece of lean meat with a lot of green veggies for dinner about an hour before bed. Absolutely nothing after that final protein-rich meal.

When we consume carbs and fats has a lot to do with how our bodies respond to the macro nutrients. Fats are more than twice as calorie rich as either carbs or protein so one must be very aware of the fat content of all foods. Even the good fats are 9 calories per gram compared to 4 calories per gram of protein or carbohydrate. Use the fat sparingly if you want to reduce your body fat.

I'm a man and I train hard so my calories are going to be higher than most women but the concept is the same for everyone. My father taught me to, "eat to live" rather than "living to eat." Treat food like fuel. Find fuel that you enjoy but don't let the taste buds rule your life. I have seen a lot of people take control of their lives and find great joy in living a life full of energy. You can do it too. Go for it.

President Fox

Well said. I think it's very narrow-minded to think that everyone's body responds the same to macronutrients. Sounds like you and the OP do well with eating greater amounts of carbs. Personally, if I had your breakfast (or hers), my sugar would be crashing in about 2 hours and I'd be starving. I know this happens to me. My food diary has shown it to me time and again. I have to have lots of protein and, if I do have carbs, I have to have whole grain carbs. I think knowing how your body responds to each macronutrient is very valuable, regardless of what type of diet your body responds to best. :happy: