HELP I'M LOSING GRIP :( :(

Options
Hey everyone,

For the past week i've been finding it so hard to resist junk food...especially sweets. :'(
I'm usually really good with food/portion control but I feel like while I eat something I shouldn't I'm okay but when it ends and I realize what I did I just want to cry.

This has been going on for a week and i've only started losing weight at the end of May.

Any advice? Can anyone recommend me alternatives to deserts or sweet/salty snacks so I don't feel deprived?

Thank you. :(

Replies

• 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sugar gets hold of me sometimes too.

I find that sugar free jelly can help if I am desperate.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'll offer my favorite treat (and you can change it to your favorite sweet). I LOVE Jr. Mints. I buy a small box and allow myself 8 of them (half a portion according to the box). I count them out after lunch and eat them v....e....r....y.... slowly. I suck on them. When I pop the last one in, I get up from my desk (step away from the box!). Seems that by the time I get to the 8th one, I'm OK! I try to eat sweets slower than anything else I eat. If I don't portion them out, I could eat a Costco 5 pound box without blinking...

That's my best idea. (It does sound to me that you might be in a "danger zone" in your cycle. If it's not always this hard, but maybe once a month, I just try to be reeeeally strong, but not beat myself up if I slide. Tomorrow's a new day. We screw up lots of things in our lives. Remember that. We say things we regret. We rear-end people. We spend more than we know we should. The list goes on. Allow yourself to make mistakes and make the changes you can.

You'll get there. :)
    ~Curly
  • christyhall01
    christyhall01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth - always have. What I've been doing to get my sugar fix is take black seedless grapes, rinse them, toss them in sugar-free jello & freeze them. It's like eating little popsicles...I'm not sure if I will ever get rid of my sweet tooth & I think sugar is very addictive. Try the grapes! They help!
  • mwiechel
    mwiechel Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What about some yogurt and granola? Fruit infused water? gum? regular water?
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Fruit. Keep it at hand or cut up & ready to eat. I've basically replaced my midday sweet treats with fruit.

Another one: nuts and raisins. With these, you've got to watch portions.

Also, while not sweet, hummus and veggies. Carrots and bell peppers will provide a little sweetness.

And, as another person mentioned with the Junior Mints, eat slowly.

Good luck!
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you can remove all the junk food from the house that would be a start, its so hard when you just have one of those days or weeks.I'm diabetic so really shouldn't go near sugar and when I do it sends my glucose sky high, then after a couple of hours it drops and has me craving sugar all over again. Thats maybe whats happening to you your sugar levels are dropping after being high from all the sugar and that just makes your body crave more. Try to replace the junk with good healthy food, fruit, fresh or dried,nuts or chop up carrots and cucumber and have them with hummus or a dip instead. Hope this helps.
  • indeatheaters101
    indeatheaters101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel you. I am raw vegan and the hardest thing to give up was candies but I have slowly started to mess around with recipes and things and I have found that I can satisfy that sweet tooth with very simple fruit combinations. I know, you probably didn't want hear fruit as the go to answer. We all know that fruits and veggies are good for us but we just want pur chocolate! :-)
    My fiance does have to hold me back sometimes but what I find works best on my sweet tooth is bananas mashed up with cinnamon sprinkled in. The banana provides enough sweetness and creaminess that it feels like you are being bad.
    If you do give in, don't be upset. Rome was not built in a day. Keep up the hood habits and slowly they will be one your only habits.
    Good luck!
  • dmdeubel24
    dmdeubel24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Everyone has been in your shoes at one time or another - don't be so hard on yourself...don't cry just move on...if you harbor the negative thoughts they will sabbatoge you for the rest of the day. The great thing is you can make a fresh start anytime you want..

As far as suggestions before you over indulge think this..."is it really worth and how is going to make me feel afterwards" and actually take a moment to recall how bad you felt last time.
    I try to snack on hard candy. popsicles and tooties pops they are low in calories and take time to eat plus you have to use your hands to eat it....so you concentrate on the snack and once it finished its finished - it's not mindless snacking. Good luck
  • Krissy501
    Krissy501 Posts: 4
    Options
    When I crave sweets I go for healthy fats. That squelches my carb fantasies. Try eating half an avocado and a handful of Brazil Nuts. Healthy fats are very satisfying and nothing to be afraid of. Sugar makes your body hang on to water which makes you feel bloated. Eating more healthy fats gives you a feeling of satiety and gets you back in the drivers seat. Sometimes if I know I will be working out or expending a lot of energy I will stir a Tablespoon of coconut oil into warm water and drink it down. Gives me energy and keeps me motivated. Good luck!!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been at this for about a couple years, and we get what we call "a case of the eats" all the time.

There are times when the worst thing you can do is avoid a craving because you'll eat the house down trying to avoid having the badness, whereas if you had had the badness to begin with, you probably would have been better off.

I've been struggling since I had surgery at the end of March. I basically took a 3 month break and gained about 18 pounds from it. Now am having to work on getting my groove back. It's a tough venture, to be sure.

I have a fridge at work that I've got greek yogurt, bottles of water, light string cheese, sliced chicken and roast beef...one of those "setting myself up for success" things.

I've also found chocolite protein bars (www.heathsmartfoods.com). I like the triple chocolate fudge, my husband likes the cashew caramel, and we both like the cookies and cream. They don't have that funky "diet chocolate aftertaste" - they're around 100 calories, have about 10 grams of fiber and 10 of protein, they're sugar-free and gluten-free. At their website, they'll let you buy single bars so you can see what they taste like and whether or not you'll like them enough to buy more.

One more thing: both my husband and I have a "safe snack place" that we keep snacks for when we get a little hungry or want to eat something. Mine's filled with baggies of pretzels, protein bars, and occasionally pieces of dark chocolate. His mainly has a variety of cliff-builder bars and chocolite bars.

As long as when you're hungry and want something to eat, if you can choose your doom wisely, it shouldn't set you too far off course.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Quest bars preferable chocolate chip cookie dough :)