Overweight Grandma on too many meds

Options
Hey everyone, I found this site thru the Today show a few weeks ago, the DAY BEFORE I went on vacation! Anyway I'm soon to be 59, take meds for Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroidism and Sarcoidosis. I'm so much fun. LOL!!! Anyway I sent this site to my DIL before I left and she loves it and is doing great! I finally walked today and kept my food diary so I feel like it is a brand new day!

I was at a family reunion this weekend, saw pics of myself and about cried. THAT WAS NOT ME!!!! I feel great, love my life, know God is totally in control and I want to LOOK like the woman I feel like!! Praying for some more "moms" and "grandma's" out there who feel the same way!!

I can do this!!!

Replies

• FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Just found out I am going to be a granny! I am with you....I want this to be a healthy time of my life to enjoy my family, friends and me! Here is to a new you...today is a new day! :flowerforyou:
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You're right - you CAN do this!! :-) I have rheumatoid arthritis, too! I've had it for over 11 years now - diagnosed when I was 22, just 2 months after the birth of my twins. It can definitely make losing weight challenging - but I can't wait to see how much better I will feel when I get some of this weight off of my joints!! This site is fantastic!! I love how easy it is to log my food, and can see right there how many calories I have left to go! One thing that has really helped me is getting rid of all the "bad" foods out of my house. My kiddos and hubby don't need to eat it either. In fact, I've only been doing this for a little over 2 weeks and my husband has lost 9 lbs. just from me getting rid of the junk and cooking healthier! (I hate how men lose so much easier than us women do!!) Best of luck to you, and feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like!! :-)
  • Buccinator
    Options
    Not a granny or a mom (only 23!), but I have two autoimmune disease and a slightly low thyroid, so I understand how difficult a journey this can be, but I'm sure it can be done. So let's go! :happy:
  • eureka1951
    eureka1951 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats Fab50! You will have a ball. I have 10 grandchildren! Only problem is they live too far away! LOL!!! They are wonderful!! And yes, we want to be around to love on those kids!!!
  • eureka1951
    Options
    Buccinator - these autoimmune diseases are rotten but we CAN overcome them!! Just gotta stay strong. I was 29 before I had my problems. I HATE that you are so young to be dealing with this!!
  • eureka1951
    Options
    Yes those men have it made! Better metabolism. I'm married to a man who is 6' 4" and only weighs 190 soaking wet!!! I need to lose 50 lbs and he needs to gain 30! LOL!!
  • Buccinator
    Options
    Buccinator - these autoimmune diseases are rotten but we CAN overcome them!! Just gotta stay strong. I was 29 before I had my problems. I HATE that you are so young to be dealing with this!!

I've been sick for the past three years, so I started around 20. I can't imagine the people who have these types of diseases their whole lives or from childhood. It's heartbreaking. I was recently diagnosed (two weeks ago) at the Mayo Clinic and I'm waiting to get all my results back so I haven't even really started on meds for it yet. So this is part of a HUGE change for me. Diet, exercise, meds, getting my life on track now that I finally know what is going on! Excited, overwhelmed, READY!
  • eureka1951
    Options
    Can I ask what you suffer from? So glad you got to Mayo. A great place to be!!

You just stay positive honey and you will be okay! And I pray you have a sense of humor. Life can be hard but we can enjoy every day of our lives if we just try!
  • Buccinator
    Options
    Can I ask what you suffer from? So glad you got to Mayo. A great place to be!!

You just stay positive honey and you will be okay! And I pray you have a sense of humor. Life can be hard but we can enjoy every day of our lives if we just try!

I can tell you, but I doubt you've heard of it. (Most of my doctors haven't, that's why no one could help me except for Mayo!) I have morphea scleroderma (a skin rash) that also attacks the joints. And undifferentiated connective tissue disease, which basically means I have several signs of a bunch of different autoimmune diseases, but my body hasn't decided which one yet. Fun, huh? And yes, I have a sense of humor, but it sure is hard sometimes. You have no idea how many times I've begged my BCU (Buccinator Care Unit) to let me run away and hide in a cave because I'm tired of them seeing me suffer with no doctors being able to help me, but finally Mayo knows what wrong and they know what medications to try, I just have to wait for their darn paperwork to get here!
  • eureka1951
    Options
    I have heard of scleroderma!! An acquaintance of mine has it. I haven't talked to her in a long time tho and not sure of her symptoms. Plus isn't there a movie about this disease? Bob Saget wrote it about his sister. Maybe there are different kinds tho and this isn't the one you have.

Have you thought you were crazy? That no one understood? That it was all in your head? Oh honey, I feel for you. It is so hard when dr's can't figure it out and friends and family just don't get it!!! Praying you can find the meds you need now that you know what it is!! Please don't hide in a cave!!! You are going to be able to help someone going thru the same thing one day!! You are going to be a blessing to others that go thru similar problems!!
  • Buccinator
    Options
    I have heard of scleroderma!! An acquaintance of mine has it. I haven't talked to her in a long time tho and not sure of her symptoms. Plus isn't there a movie about this disease? Bob Saget wrote it about his sister. Maybe there are different kinds tho and this isn't the one you have.

Have you thought you were crazy? That no one understood? That it was all in your head? Oh honey, I feel for you. It is so hard when dr's can't figure it out and friends and family just don't get it!!! Praying you can find the meds you need now that you know what it is!! Please don't hide in a cave!!! You are going to be able to help someone going thru the same thing one day!! You are going to be a blessing to others that go thru similar problems!!

I don't know if there's a movie, I will have to look into it! I'm interested in finding out! I never really thought I was crazy because I had several different things wrong with my blood (sed rate, ANA, C-Reactive protein, a few other things I can't remember, plus an MRI of my wrist showed I had arthritis), so I KNEW there was proof I was sick, but it was SO frustrated that the doctors just couldn't put it together. They knew I was sick, but they were just unwilling to treat me since they couldn't tell which disease it was. But Mayo said Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease needs to be treated whether it's decided what it wants to be or not. And so many people have asked if I'm upset about this happening to me and I've always said no because 1.) It brought me closer to God. 2.) It made me appreciate the little things. 3.) I understand what sick people are going through now. So yes, I believe I will be able to help others some day because of this!
  • Buccinator
    Options
    You are right! The movie is called For Hope. Bob Saget's sister died from scleroderma.
  • eureka1951
    Options
    You are wise beyond your years Buccinator! I will pray that Mayo gets you on the right drugs to this disease.

Jeremiah 29:11
    Romans 8:28

God bless you honey!!!