Sugar from fruit vs. processed sugar

Options
Glynneybug
Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
Hey all,

I am adding a lot more fruit into my diet and am of the opinion that if it is sugar from fruit it should be okay. Opinions on this one? Thanks ahead for taking the time to answer this one from me. :)

Replies

• theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I have never limited myself of natural sugars such as those coming from fruit. I ate unlimited amounts and still managed to lose 70+ lbs. So yes our body can easily burn natural sugars compare to those that are highly processed
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have never limited myself of natural sugars such as those coming from fruit. I ate unlimited amounts and still managed to lose 70+ lbs. So yes our body can easily burn natural sugars compare to those that are highly processed

Any evidence the body can't easily burn "highly processed" sugars as easily as natural sugars?
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    bump
  • TIMv4
    TIMv4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of fruit as it's a good filler and low cal. And since it comes with fiber and a lot of fluid usually, it should digest way more slowly than a high sugar snack.

I'm pretty sensitive to sugary stuff and don't feel a spike at all from eating fruit, even a lot of it at once. But everyone is different.

It's also an efficient way to get fluid instead of just chugging water all the time.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

Any evidence the body can't easily burn "highly processed" sugars as easily as natural sugars?

but, but, fruit comes with all those other micronutrient goodies...
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar.
  • theepervette
    Options

Yeah my evidence is me losing weight on fruit and not on 100 calorie pack ****.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Oh so n=1, strong evidence is strong. No other confounders?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar.

this.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    In for the ridiculous condemnation of sugar.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

You actually tried both methods for a set period of time beginning at the same weight and closely measured your progress.

Because I'd argue that anecdote is not evidentiary without controls.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Correlation =/= Causation
  • theepervette
    Options
    Hey it's my opinion. You have your own? great.
    I'm not claiming facts, i'm claiming what worked for me.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Hey it's my opinion. You have your own? great.
    I'm not claiming facts, i'm claiming what worked for me.

That's fine if it's your opinion, and it's great that you lost the weight that you did, just don't say that your weight loss is evidence that your body can process natural sugars better than processed sugars, because it's not.
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I believe sugar is sugar, too. Since starting maintenance I've been experimenting with more processed food in general. If I eat something really sweet, I'll crave more. If I eat fruit, I don't feel those god awful cravings.

Not very scientific, but processed sugar is a real trigger for me where fruit is not. Same with chips and some crackers.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    I believe sugar is sugar, too. Since starting maintenance I've been experimenting with more processed food in general. If I eat something really sweet, I'll crave more. If I eat fruit, I don't feel those god awful cravings.

Not very scientific, but processed sugar is a real trigger for me where fruit is not. Same with chips and some crackers.

This is mostly because fruits also have a lot of fiber which keeps you full where as most foods with added or processed sugar do not, so you don't get the satiety. Not saying that one is better than the other
  • Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input all! Greatly appreciated!