Difficulty losing baby weight

Options
Hi everyone. I"m a first time mom to a 5 month old. I'm finding it very hard to stay motivated to lose the baby weight. I have 30 lbs to lose since delivering my son, plus another 30 lbs from before I was pregnant. I'm a very active person, I just lack all will power when it comes to healthier eating. I don't enjoy planning meals, grocery shopping or cooking. Someone please help!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place :) Everyone is very nice and supportive and it does work if you stick to it, plan, plan, plan though.

I have the exact same problem 30lb from baby one 8 years ago, 30lb from baby 2, 10 months ago. Well minus 23lb now :)

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • peyton23
    Options
    I am in the same boat only have a bit more wieght then you ladies. I had that attitude I am pregnant and can eat whatever I want. I did it with both of mine to. I am learning a lot from this site already and one thing I keep reading is take it one day at a time.
  • waylward
    waylward Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If I were to be honest, I've been using my baby as my crutch. It's so easy to say that I don't have time to eat healthy or plan my meals because I have to take care of a 5 month old. But at some point that excuse won't hold up anymore, and I think that time is now.
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of 3. I have 6 year old and 2 year old twins. I have lost all my twin weight plus an additional 17 and I have 10 more to go to get back to pre-kid weigh.

Don't try to plan out days or weeks, start small. Plan one day worth of meals, thaw out dinner at breakfast, so you are not tempted to eat out for dinner.

Things that worked for me.
    1. Stock your house with fruits and veggies.
    2. Drink a glass of water before eating each meal, so you don't overeat.
    3. I use the plate rule, eat off salad plates instead of dinner plates.
    4. I fill up 1/2 with veggies and fruit 1/4 with meat/protein, and 1/4 with carbs.
    5. Drink 64oz of water a day, add lemom or special K protein flavor to it if you an't stand the taste of plain water.
    6. Occasional treats in moderation.
    7. I started working out 3 days a week for 30 minutes. After 7 months- I currently work out 5-6 days a week 45 minutes a day.

Feel free to friend me I will help in any way I can to keep you motivated.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Well, your baby is still young!! I have had 2 babies---and gained a lot of weight with each pregnancy---over 70 with my first and over 50 with my second!! I did lose most of the weight in between pregnancies (which was only 10 months) It took me a year to lose the weight from my second pregnancy---and the leftover from the first. I'm now losing some extra weight. Get into a grove, find some motivation, and soon it will become fun. Feel free to add me as a friend! :)
  • breelj
    Options
    My daughter is almost 3 years old. I lost most of the baby weigt while I was breastfeeding but once I stopped, the weight came back because I didn't change my eating habits. So I am now as heavy as I was at 9 months pregnant. I am loving this site. I am not being super strict about only eating veggies, salad, and water, but I am making better choices than previous and I realize how many calories I was actually taking in (which was alot). So stick with us here at this site and you'll do great! Just be honest with yourself when entering your meals!
  • ardaniels0417
    Options
    I mean we are all in the same boat here... Were all moms, we all have goals and we all want our pre-baby bodies back. We acn all have our pre-baby bodies back. Good luck to all...

You can add me as a friend if you want, Try and narrow down the items that are healthy that you like eating and then go from there. The thing that helped me alot is eating alot of proteina and veggies. Im not a big veggie person but I found a few things that I like and I go with that. Try to also decrease your carbs and processed foods. good luck!!!!
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm also one of you! I got pregnant very near my wedding day. I was the skinniest I've ever been than 10 months and one baby later I was the biggest I've ever been. I've lost 21 pounds since then. I've found that websites like these that force you to track your calories keep you accountable are super helpful. I am also super active but didn't start losing the weight until I started tracking my food intake. Lost 15 pounds the first month! You can do it!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    If I were to be honest, I've been using my baby as my crutch. It's so easy to say that I don't have time to eat healthy or plan my meals because I have to take care of a 5 month old. But at some point that excuse won't hold up anymore, and I think that time is now.

I did the same until my oldest was 2! I found for me I had to really want it. I tried many times and failed but when I decided I wanted to have another baby I comitted to losing the weight before packing on more with another pregnancy. This time around (after #2) it is family pictures. I don't want to regret how I look in it so I gotta get my butt moving. Maybe set a goal and try to stick to it.

Good Luck I know it isn't easy but with this supportive bunch and the tools on the site you can totally do it!
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in the same boat as you! I just had a baby 6 months ago, and I am trying to lose weight from this pregnancy and the one from 2 years ago! So far I have lost 3lbs. I too used my pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever I want and am now paying the price for that. Dieting and excersing have always been a challenge, but I am looking at it differently this time. After being home with two kids all day, I look at going to the gym as my time to get a way and have time to myself, and on top of it I am doing something GOOD for myself.
    I am not a meal planner either, but this is what I have been doing. I am on a 1200 calorie diet which I track on this site.
    For Breakfast: I either have peanut butter on toast or egg on tortilla with cheese for protein
    Snack: Fat Free Yogurt
    Lunch: Lean Cuisine or BLT sandwich, or Turkey so on
    Snack: slice of cheese and an apple
    Dinner: Whatever my husband prepares or I make something and he plates it for me while I am at the gym so my food is portioned out before I get home, preventing me from getting seconds

I go to the gym 6 days a week, 30 min cardio everyday 4 days of strength training.

I do not snack 2-3 hours before bed, and drink a cup of water before a meal and after so I feel more full. Do i treat myself, oh heck yes! I bought frozen mini reese's and allow myself ONE after dinner or moderate a dessert.

I know I am totally rambling on, but I totally understand where you are coming from, I am in your same situation, and a week ago, I started this diet and have lost 3lbs already. You can do it,! Don't look at this as a diet but as getting fit FOR YOURSELF and for your family.

Good luck!
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I did the same until my oldest was 2! I found for me I had to really want it. I tried many times and failed but when I decided I wanted to have another baby I comitted to losing the weight before packing on more with another pregnancy. This time around (after #2) it is family pictures. I don't want to regret how I look in it so I gotta get my butt moving. Maybe set a goal and try to stick to it.
    Good Luck I know it isn't easy but with this supportive bunch and the tools on the site you can totally do it!
    [/quote]

Setting a deadline for your goals is a great way to make yourself stick to it. Like My Cctober 01 I will down 8lbs or 10 inches. Just put it on your calender the closer you get the harder you will push to make it happen. Schedule your workouts like dr appts, I have to X at 1pm Monday, Wednesday, Friday and stick to it the best you can with kids.