Attending a wedding....

Options
I'm going to my best friends wedding next weekend and I haven't seen 99% of the people who will be there in over 5 years. In those 5 years, I've gained about 30 pounds :embarassed: Friends say no one will care, no one will notice, they'll just be glad you made the trip, etc. Yeah, right, people will notice but I can't change that and it's a reality I'm going out there with.

How do you deal with feeling so uncomfortable in your own skin at what should be an extremely happy occasion? It's a weekend about her and him, not me and I don't want my issues to show through when I'm catching up with friends and other people for the first time in so long.

Also, any tips on how to eat well or make up for what I splurge on? :drinker: I'll be trying to keep track of everything on at least a sticky note but tracking will be very difficult in that extremely busy 36 hour trip.

Thanks in advance!! :happy:

Replies

• dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right. This event is about the bride and the groom. I think you have to focus on that. I think these people who are coming really want to celebrate and see you again. Wear something flattering. Pretend you are a reporter and keep the conversation focused on your friends. When people get to tell their stories, they don't notice much of anything.

As for eating, you will be surprised at how your desire to be healthy will shine forth. You will make great choices. And, if for some reason you do splurge, you will have shaken up your body and that is a good thing. It will get it in gear again.

Most of all, be yourself, enjoy your friends and celebrate the event!
  • Obscuring
    Obscuring Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was just in the same situation!!! Trust me, it's not going to be as bad as you think. I know I was thinking the same things you were but once I got there I realized that it really was their day and completely forgot about my image issues. I made sure to wear my hair and makeup just how I wanted and made sure I felt really pretty in that respect and I know that helped, so maybe it will help you feel confident! Plus you can always focus on the fact that you /are/ making a change and you are a work in progress! :3 Some people never get to the point that they want to make their life better, but you are and you should feel proud about it!

Don't worry about making up, just do your best to make healthful decisions while you're there? A splurge day is not a bad idea since it is a party! :3

Don't worry, you're going to have a great time no matter what! Have fun!
  • antdogs
    antdogs Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i think people will not worry about that. they will be happy to see you!

i mean alcohol food etc will be at the wedding so i mean enjoy yourself but dont go crazy!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I say smile a lot and enjoy the wedding! I've seen very thin bridesmaids who didn't smile much and I think people notice that more! I hope you have a lot of fun! :)
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just try and enjoy the day. Buy a new outfit, get your hair done and make yourself feel pretty. That helps with the self confidence. Am sure people will just be pleased to see you :)
  • MeowSkull
    MeowSkull Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I kind of knew all this in the back of my head, I guess I just needed to say it and hear it (so to speak) in order ot really get it.

Thanks for the suggestion of going overboard with myself and feeling as pretty as possible. I think I will do just that :)

I'll try to at least be mindful of what I'm eating but still enjoy the food. I'm pretty sure it's Italian catered! Wine and Pasta.... that's a lot of trouble there ;)

Kawaiikid, thanks so much for sharing and you are right, I AM making a change and making progress. I may not be what I was 5 years ago but I'm working towards that and next time they see me, they won't recognize me from the wedding! LOL.

Y'all are great. Thanks.
  • MeowSkull
    MeowSkull Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Okay, so tomorrow I leave to travel for the wedding. It's going to be a very hectic and unpredictable 48 hours!

I've already learned a lot this week and I'm going to do my best to make good choices, keep indulgences to a minimum, and keep my goal in mind!!!

I bought a new dress and got my hair cut so hopefully how I *feel* I look (good!) will overpower how I actually I look (seriously chunkified) after 5 years. I'm actually quite excited to see everyone now and I know it will be a wonderful and beautiful weekend.

Wish me luck!

:happy:
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You've done great to get where you are at the moment. Stand tall, shoulders back and smile. You'll be a knockout :)

Hope you have a lovely time x