Honey, sugar or sugar substitute

Options
I am finding that honey always puts me over my sugar count on here:/ I figure it's good for me rather than putting white sugar in my tea. I tried Truvia, Stevia, Splenda and they have an odd taste, so I go back to honey every time. Honey and fruit makes me go over on the sugar situation; should I not be having these things? It's not like I am having a Hershey bar, LOL!!!!!!:) What's your preference for adding something sweet to your tea/oatmeal, etc? Do you worry too much about the sugar column in the food diary?

Replies

• kirstenkb
    kirstenkb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    raw Honey is definitely the most healthy sweetner!
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You should stick with the honey. I just noticed today that I usually go over my sugar count for the day, but it is because of fruits veggies and grains. As long as your sugar count is not high from processed food with ADDED sugar you are fine. I actually did some research on that today, then I stopped worring about it!
  • the_lemon_tart
    Options
    Have you tried Agave syrup, sometimes called Agave nectar. Its a natural plant extract with a low GI.
  • NewSky2013
    Options
    Give me honey, or regular sugar... I do not like Pop, yogurt, ie.. Nothing with sugar substitutes
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You should stick with the honey. I just noticed today that I usually go over my sugar count for the day, but it is because of fruits veggies and grains. As long as your sugar count is not high from processed food with ADDED sugar you are fine. I actually did some research on that today, then I stopped worring about it!

And metabolically speaking, how is sucrose from an apple different from sucrose from a sugar packet?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's organic sugar (evaporated cane juice). It's regular sugar, but TJ's makes it sound better. Honey in coffee is gross to me.
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    Honey, and don't call me Sugar. That is just my preference, as I love the taste. Eat what you enjoy. A spoonful isn't going to make or break your diet.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Never tracked a singe gram of sugar and it hasn't hindered my weightloss. I refuse to have anything but pure cane sugar in my coffee in the morning and drizzle honey on my bagel every morning along with my natural crunchy peanut butter..... Best of Luck
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    In for the ridiculous condemnation of sugar.
  • pam4pt
    pam4pt Posts: 1
    Options
    I seem to be way over my sugar limit every day. It's because of fruit. It's so confusing - I have blueberries because they're supposed to be so good for you but they're calorific and have high sugar. Some supposed healthy options seem problematic when they appear on my tracker. A lot of the low calorie, low sugar foods seem to be pretty low in nutrients too (not to mention flavour). Any "wonder foods" out there that you'd recommend incorporating into my diet?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I seem to be way over my sugar limit every day. It's because of fruit. It's so confusing - I have blueberries because they're supposed to be so good for you but they're calorific and have high sugar. Some supposed healthy options seem problematic when they appear on my tracker. A lot of the low calorie, low sugar foods seem to be pretty low in nutrients too (not to mention flavour). Any "wonder foods" out there that you'd recommend incorporating into my diet?

This is what you have to understand. No food is inherently healthy or unhealthy. They just simply have varying levels of nutrition. A high calorie food is not necessarily unhealthy, just like a low calorie food isn't necessarily healthy.
  • acollis1
    Options

And metabolically speaking, how is sucrose from an apple different from sucrose from a sugar packet?

Apples have fructose (natural), not sucrose (refined).... an apple has a GI (glycemic index) of 40, a packet of sugar has 60. The apple has fiber to help your body metabolize it slower, making you feel full longer. Eat a packet of refined sugar and you'll burn right through it and it won't do a thing for you! THATS the difference!
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I always go back to the honey! It just tastes sooooo much better with my tea!! I can't agree/argue over the health benifits of either because I'm not a nutritionalist.....I'm only arguing taste!!
  • Acg67
    Options

Apples have fructose (natural), not sucrose (refined).... an apple has a GI (glycemic index) of 40, a packet of sugar has 60. The apple has fiber to help your body metabolize it slower, making you feel full longer. Eat a packet of refined sugar and you'll burn right through it and it won't do a thing for you! THATS the difference!

Expand the Carb section, hmmmmmm.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2

So once again, how to they differ?
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    None of the above for me. Fresh fruit is the only sweetener I used for things like smoothies, etc. And I will eat dates if I'm out biking for more than 2 hours, but otherwise I don't do dried fruit either. It just isn't very practical to haul fresh fruit around with me on a bike and nuts don't cut it on mountain pass climbs.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia for all of my sweetener.

It seems to be pretty healthy with no calories.
  • bjandr
    bjandr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me it's all about sugar. I was under on calories fo a month and lost no weight. As soon as i dropped the sugar to less then 50 g per day I have lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks. Everyone is different
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

That is an awesome site for nutrition data.... bookmarked!
  • acollis1
    Options

[/quote]
    so it's obvious that a carb is a carb to you. you asked how they were different metabolically, and in that sense you have to factor in fiber and glycemic index. I stick to "slow carbs" I never go over my "carbs" but tend to go over on the sugar (looking at your food diary I'm sure you do too), I go WAY over on protein and fiber. It works for me, and if you're diabetic you need to know these things. I'm not going to waste anymore time arguing with you because I'm sure you're one of those people that always HAS to be right, so let's just agree to disagree.
    Going back to her original question, yes there probably is no difference between a tsp of honey and a tsp of sugar, so whatever makes you happy. I just believe in eating clean foods, not processed ones, I believe this is why there is so much cancer and disease in this world, along with several physicians I work with. They put so many chemicals in our foods, I'll take my chances with an apple!!!! so to each his own!!!
  • Acg67
    Options

so it's obvious that a carb is a carb to you. you asked how they were different metabolically, and in that sense you have to factor in fiber and glycemic index. I stick to "slow carbs" I never go over my "carbs" but tend to go over on the sugar (looking at your food diary I'm sure you do too), I go WAY over on protein and fiber. It works for me, and if you're diabetic you need to know these things. I'm not going to waste anymore time arguing with you because I'm sure you're one of those people that always HAS to be right, so let's just agree to disagree.
    Going back to her original question, yes there probably is no difference between a tsp of honey and a tsp of sugar, so whatever makes you happy. I just believe in eating clean foods, not processed ones, I believe this is why there is so much cancer and disease in this world, along with several physicians I work with. They put so many chemicals in our foods, I'll take my chances with an apple!!!! so to each his own!!!
    [/quote]

"Apples have fructose (natural), not sucrose (refined)"

if sucrose is refined, how is it found in apples!?

"Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, Silver, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine"

^ all chemicals found in your apple