Can someone critique my routine?

Options
lma0423
lma0423 Posts: 78 Member
I eat about 1400 cals a day. I'm 5'6 and weigh 178.

I just started this routine.

3x/week

Cardio - 20 mins on the treadmill (HIIT)

Strength - I rotate between the A & B lifts of StrongLifts 5x5, so one day I do squats, overhead press and barbell rows, then the next day I do squats, benchpress and deadlifts. BUT I don't do 5 sets of 5 reps, instead I do 3 sets of 12 reps. I get impatient with the 5x5.

Does this sound okay?? or should I be doing more cardio or strength or BOTH??

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? I find the statement that you get impatient with 5x5 a little odd since it's less reps than 12x3 Personally, I think I'd up the weight and drop the reps a little, even just to 10X3.
  • lma0423
    Options
    My goals is to lose about 15 more lbs. I don't get impatient due to the reps, I get impatient becasue I have to stop so often.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You do 3 sets of 12? That's not stronglifts, stronglifts is doing 5 reps with a weight heavy enough to where you struggle for each and every one...
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    In the beginning its lighter because your teaching your body the movements but stuff gets heavy real quick
  • lma0423
    Options
    So my question is, if I increase the weight are these 5 exercises enough?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1400 cals a day. I'm 5'6 and weigh 178.

I just started this routine.

3x/week

Cardio - 20 mins on the treadmill (HIIT)

Strength - I rotate between the A & B lifts of StrongLifts 5x5, so one day I do squats, overhead press and barbell rows, then the next day I do squats, benchpress and deadlifts. BUT I don't do 5 sets of 5 reps, instead I do 3 sets of 12 reps. I get impatient with the 5x5.

Does this sound okay?? or should I be doing more cardio or strength or BOTH??

Impatient with what? Just follow the program as it's written, there's a reason it is the way it is. Lifting a weight for 12 reps is not the same as lifting a heavier weight for 5 reps. You're working different portion of the Force curve and not developing the same type of strength. As far as weight and body composition goes, that's mostly dependent on your diet anyways. Just do SL 5x5 as it's written and make sure your diet is good. Personally and if you are capable of doing them, I would add in Dips on one day, chin-ups on one days, and back extensions or raises on another day.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Strength based program with hypertrophy reps and no accessory work?
    OOSWLFC.gif