Gained Weight & Fitness

Options
kfitz85
kfitz85 Posts: 19 Member
I had lost 80 pounds over the course of a year or so. On 6/15/13, I ran an obstacle race, hurt my leg and took some time off from working out. Then I got very sick, so I stopped cutting back on calories for a week. After that, I never got back on track to healthy eating. Typically, between snacks, candy, alcohol, junk food and fast food, it would not be unusual for me to consume 6,000+ calories a day for most days of the week. After a month, I went from 153 pounds to 170 pounds. Some of it is water weight, but I'm certain some of it is fat as well.

Here's the part that's confusing for me. Prior to the race when I was 153 pounds, I could run a 5K on a treadmill in 27 minutes and do 12 strict pull-ups max. The other day, at 170 pounds, I ran a 5K in 22:59 and was able to complete 15 strict pull-ups immediately afterwards. I also cut my mile time from 6:08 to 5:53.

So after following a strict diet and exercise regimen for a year, I fall off the wagon and end up with better results. If my fitness has improved... does that mean that I'm healthier despite the weight gain?

Replies

• PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    You fed your body. Keep up the 6,000 calories and you'll drown it.

Get back to proper eating and exercise.
  • kfitz85
    Options
    I only took a week off from the exercise.

I still work out two hours a day four days a week. The only difference is that now I continue to eat until I can't eat anymore.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You're eating at a calorie surplus so you have a lot of extra energy to expend. My training improved dramatically going from a deficit of calories to maintenance. You probably want to dial the calorie back a bit though.
  • kfitz85
    Options
    Makes sense. Thanks!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You might have lost too much weight. Everybody has an ideal weight where they perform best. If you go much below that performance gets worse. Keep eating 6000 a day though and it will also start getting worse as the weight gets too high.