Burned out, but don't want to have to start over.

Options
If anyone could help me out with some motivation or anything to help turn my attitude around, I would sure appreciate it! I try to eat healthy and work out about 5 days a week (rotate zumba, running, yoga, and do abs and legs at home every other day) I have dedicated so much of myself to losing weight, and have lost a decent amount. The problem is, I am getting so bitter that it is taking so long! I understand a lb. or so a week is the "healthy" way, but dang it, I am so sick of watching my friends eat whatever they want, rarely work out, and look fabulous! I feel like every day is a calorie struggle for me. I swear I even look at a burger and gain 5 lbs. I've lost a little over 30, but still have 19 more to go and it will not budge! I really thought I'd have it all off by summer, and now summer is ticking away and I still have so much to lose there is no way I will hit my goal by even the end of summer. I find myself saying "what's the point" more and more frequently. HELP!

Anyway, I am not normally a complainer, but I just had to vent a little bit :)

Replies

• uthatswho
    uthatswho Posts: 34
    Options
    First time you've hit a plateau? Change something up., but it sounds like you just have to bear it for a awhile.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is you may NEVER be able to eat the way your friends do if you want to keep the weight off. That's why the usual sermon around here is that you're not on a diet - you're changing your lifestyle - FOREVER (unless you want to gain it all back). Once you reach your goal, you'll be able to eat a little more or exercise a little less, but if you want to keep it off, you're going to have to control what you eat for the rest of your life. It's just the way it is and I'm not going to sugar coat it. You'll have to decide which is most important to you.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    The best way not to have to start over is not to stop.

You should weight train too. Not just cardio and body sculpting.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I found that one of the most valuable lessons in this whole process was that this doesn't end when you reach your goal. So really, it doesn't matter how long it takes (unless you've got serious health issues dependent on dropping the weight fast). It doesn't matter, because it doesn't end. That can be a depressing thought at first, but let it motivate you to find a way of making this work forever.

When you reach your goal, you can't just stop what you're doing now and expect to keep the weight off. You still need to be vigilant. The only difference is, you get a few hundred more calories to play with, and honestly it's not long before you don't even notice that,

So, what about your life now makes you want to give up? Maybe 5 days a week working out isn't sustainable for you. Maybe you could cut it to 4 or 3. Or, maybe 3 days at the intensity you're doing now, and 2 days of something less intense. What about how you're eating? The truth is, you can eat burgers if you want to, you just have to fit them in, and sometimes it takes a little planning. Maybe try not to treat it as a temporary diet where you can only eat certain foods.

Why don't you take the time now to create a lifestyle that you can actually sustain long term? According to your profile, you already lost a significant amount and regained it, so maybe look at ways of doing it differently this time, so you don't feel like you need to stop what you're doing. Bottom line is, there will be some sacrifice somewhere. There has to be. For me, it's the fact that I can't eat unlimited amounts of food any more, and that I have to be conscious of what I'm eating all the time. Those things are hard sometimes, and I do feel a tiny bit bitter sometimes that other people don't have to be as mindful as I do. That's life though, I guess. I have problems that other people don't have, and other people have problems that I don't have. As far as the actual food I'm eating, and the type/amount of exercise I do - I love all that, so I don't feel the need to quit.

Motivation comes and goes, you can't rely on that to keep you slim. You need to create habits that become a way of life.
  • Refined_by_Fire
    Refined_by_Fire Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of website that can help you move past that plateau. My husband is an x-personal fitness trainer and he says to change thing up but don't quit. after changing things up for a couple of weeks your body will start loosing again. I know its frustrating because I'm kinda dealing with the same situation. I used to weigh 200 pounds around 2 years ago. even though I manage to get to 177--I haven't been able to get below 174 so I have been in between 174 and 177 for a long time now.
    Just keep going. Perseverance always pays off.
    I believe in you and you have many others cheering you on also:flowerforyou:
  • JoPowell83
    JoPowell83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to get my head back in the game. Yes, this is my first real plateau so I am really struggling with it. You are right, I will never be able to eat what they eat, and I need to be ok with that! Sometimes all it takes when you feel like giving up is someone to cheer you on. Thanks again!!! :)