Saw the highest number on the scale... EVER!

Options
Okay, so I'll give you a little background. I'm a 24 year old female who went from working on my feet to mainly a desk job. 2 years ago, I went on the depo shot, and oddly enough, it made me lose weight. I went from about 175 down to 154! Everyone called me a toothpick, but I still had fat because the weight didn't come off due to exercise.

Well, last December, I decided to not get the shot anymore. I slowly started gaining weight and went back up to 167 (that was scary to me!). Last year, I didn't work out much, but I ate fairly decent (lean meats, fish, seafood, veggies, fruits... not much processed food). In February, once I started seeing the scale go up, I re-enrolled in my gym and started working out pretty faithfully (4-5 times per week). I did cardio+strength training. I also got back on the shot.

Well June was supposed to be my next shot, and I decided not to get it. On top of that, I went on vacation last week and ate whatever I wanted (it's vacation, right?!). I worked out a few times, but nothing hardcore.

I knew I had gained more weight, I could feel it and see it. Last night I weighed myself (now, i'll tell you, I've never been worried about the number... more about inches). I weighed in at 180!

My workouts have been getting better: 25 minutes on the treadmill (Run/Walk... I manage almost 1.75-2 miles), 5 minutes straight abs (weight bearing and non), hip abductors/adductors, leg curls/extensions, the giant rope (for arms), dead lifts, and TRX.

I just need some motivation that I'll get down to 145 like I would like!!

I'm 5'8, medium frame, medium-large bust.

Replies

• kellynadler3
    Options
    You are singing my song! I was a restaurant owner for 15 years and was always on the move. Now I spend alot of time behind a desk and it is catching up with me. Just got back from vacation and had a chance to look at the pictures we got while parasailing. I could not believe how fat I looked. I got on the scale and saw 178!! I am only 5' 4" and this number is what I weighed about 7 months preganant. I have completely ignored my diet and haven't worked out in a couple of years. My two closest friends have started a weight loss program (one is going vegan and one is counting calories) and both are down by 20lbs. Heading down to sign up for the gym today. Good luck with your goal, you can do it!!
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    Good luck to you, as well! It's tough, but we can definitely do it! Signing up for the gym is the first step. Making yourself go is the second. And food is probably the most important!

If I were a restaurant owner, I probably would've been overweight because of the food! So kudos to you for staying healthy then!
  • emh612
    emh612 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well and quickly gained weight once I started it. I'm not an overly active person to begin with so now sitting down all day is really taking a toll! I'm at my highest weight and I can't believe I allowed myself to get to this point! I weight only slightly less than when I was 9 months pregnant! I just started again on MFP on Sunday. I could really use both of you for motivation! I'm doing good so far but it's only 4 days in! ;-)
  • granitendirt
    Options
    I also can relate to your post. My highest weight was about 175, and my goal weight is around 145. I'm 159 at the moment.

I was motivated to join MFP after gaining a few pounds once I started a desk job last summer. I've always been really active so sitting all day has made me look more at my diet to avoid weight gain.

Looks like you're on the right track and that you know what you've got to do. It's hard to deal with going on/off birth control. I was on that hormonal roller coaster for 7 years before getting a non-hormonal IUD a few years ago. It was definitely a good decision for me!
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Definitely pick a birth control and stick to it, or go the non hormonal route. The depo stays in your system for so long that it's not good to go on off on off. The pill leaves your system fairly quickly so if you do start something and need to stop, it probably won't affect your hormones as much. Everyone reacts to hormonal bc differently but it sounds like your making your body crazy.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should either get on or stay off the bc. Going on and off is hard on your body. Definitly stick with your exercises. Dont be too disheartened though. Its not surprising to gain 5-10lbs on vacation. Besides if its your time of the month, your body can easily retain water weight. At this point I would focus a little more on your diet, but DO allow yourself a cheat day a couple times a month, or do extra exercises so you can have that treat at the end of the day. Dont be discouraged you are doing good. Stress can also make you retain weight, so try not to stress about it and keep doing your thing :D
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    I'm here to help! I think you guys are definitely right about depo. It's really made my weight roller coaster! I'm staying off of it for good this time because I'm worried about having children in the future. I haven't heard good things after the shot!

I'm so excited to do some hard workouts! Let me know if you guys have any suggestions!
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Just so you know, I wouldn't recommend weighing yourself at the end of the day, because our weight can fluctuate immensely due to water and the food we've consumed throughout the day! If you want an accurate reading, weigh first thing in the morning after using the restroom, and make sure you don't have anything on.
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    Well, I don't have a scale. Just the one at my gym. I think they may look at me funny if I take my clothes off to weigh myself ;) haha
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As someone who gained 30 lbs on depo, I highly recommend staying off of it as well! That stuff is bad news.
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    As someone who gained 30 lbs on depo, I highly recommend staying off of it as well! That stuff is bad news.

Well, I lost weight on it. But I hear ya! Thanks for the advice!
  • Clare680
    Clare680 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi -- I am so sorry about the scale! I know it's frustrating but seriously, as you know, just keep following the program and the weight will come off. I never used depo, but BCPs always caused me to gain weight. I think the decision about which birth control you use needs to take into account lots of factors, and not just the weight gain/loss. Keep exercising, keep eating well, and keep posting!
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    Well, good news is I've already lost 2lbs (not unhealthily, either)... So it must be water weight. Probably way too much salt on vacation :)

How are you guys doing on your day to day goals??
  • littlebrownbat3
    littlebrownbat3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I took a desk job, got to 160 pounds, went to grad school, got back down to 145, a friend died and I got super depressed, went up to 170, am now at 155, goal weight 145. I got some pictures back from a conference I went to and was like, whoa. Not good. It's coming off slowly, but then it's really not a lot of weight.

Day to day goals are usually fine, occasionally I go over by 100-200 calories, but nothing drastic.
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    You're close to you goa! What are you doing to lose weight?
  • granitendirt
    Options
    Well, good news is I've already lost 2lbs (not unhealthily, either)... So it must be water weight. Probably way too much salt on vacation :)

How are you guys doing on your day to day goals??

Doing pretty well. I've stuck with a strength training program for about 6 weeks now and really enjoy it. I'm seeing my weight go down at about 0.25 - 0.5 lbs per week... which is exactly what I want :)

My only real goal is to feel good. Tracking what I eat has actually helped reassure me that I'm not over-eating. In the past when trying to lose weight, I'd always convince myself that I'd eaten WAY too much. Now that I'm logging, I can see that what feels like a humongous amount of food is really only 2,000 calories (which is my general target).