Calling all moms!

Options
What do you feed your kids? My kids are getting sick of the same things, all the time. I need some fast and easy ideas. (healthy obviously). I prefer fresh foods....I know there has to be some "outside the box" ideas!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids and what are you feeding them now that they are tired of?
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky that my boys are not picky eaters, love veggies and will eat just about anything I put in front of them. Are you making them the same meals that you're eating? What are they bored with?
  • parkermegan
    parkermegan Posts: 167
    Options
    I definitely make the same meals....my husband is SO PICKY. We have chicken and 2 vegetables every day for lunch (he works 2nd shift). For breakfast they usually have yogurt or cheese and some fruit. For dinner (kind of like lunch for us since I cook lunch as dinner) they have tortilla pizzas a lot.....sunbutter toast and some fruit, carrots with homeade ranch or hummus, sweet potato fries. They don't eat much.....they are more snackers.

My kids are 6, 5, and 16 month twins :)
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    oh wow you have your hands full. For breakfast we do cinnamon raisin bread, cereal or yogurt. Snack we do raw carrots, fruit or crackers (annies organic bunnies, graham crackers, ritz) lunch we usually do left overs from the nights before dinner, or Ill cook them annies organic bunny pasta, a ham and cheese sandwich, grilled cheese, cheese torilla and they always get a fruit or veggie with it. afternoon snack is usually string cheese, more crackers, apple, and grapes, grapes are a huge thing right now in our house. dinner tonight is meatloaf which i add bell pepper, celery, lentils, onion and blue cheese with salad and roasted veggies. Im sure that will be lunch tomorrow :) I cant ALWAYS so healthy but i do try. When I dont do healthy its chix nuggets, fish sticks or easy mac, but i have just recently stopped the easy mac. Heard some bad things
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Some things my kids love (aged 4 and 3):

breakfast pizza= whole wheat crust, cheese, scrambled eggs and bacon or sausage (we also make homemade pizzas together, but I see you already do tortilla pizzas)

all types of grilled cheese with veggies, like spinach or tomato, inside

all types of pasta, and using whole wheat pasta is pretty healthy

apples or bananas with all natural peanut butter

cucumbers, celery, etc with hummus

ANYTHING with salsa, I buy the mild or sweet onion kinds so it isnt too spicy. Acutally, they love nachos or tacos or anything mexican, sometimes we do taco salad which is their FAVORITE

pretzels with peanut butter

graham crackers with fruit and greek yogurt

frozen greek yogurt (I buy the individual servings and they eat them from the fridge or the freezer, instead of ice cream)

raisins and dried cranberries on celery with peanut butter

And my 4 year old loves to help me make a lot of the things off Disney Junior "That's Fresh" segments, which has a lot of fresh ingredients and kids can help you make

I know there is a lot more, but I just cant think right now!
  • Charlottesmama
    Charlottesmama Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Check out weelicious.com she is a mom who makes tons of great healthy recipes.
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    No kids for me, but I baby sit my nieces and nephews!

I do (ALWAYS served with a dairy, protein, starch, fruit and vegetables):

- fruit skewers, cheese and crackers (or milk and graham crackers for a treat)
    - peanut butter, banana and whole wheat tortilla "burritos"
    -peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with milk and fruit
    -chicken alfredo (I'll sneak broccoli or peas in there. :p)
    -breakfast burritos
    - oatmeal with fruit and milk
    -homemade granola bars
    - quesadillas
    -bean burritos (black beans + cheese + vegetables)
    - homemade pizza (homemade dough or frozen), add any sauce or veggies you like, even chicken or sausage
    -spaghetti (meat sauce and ill add shredded carrots in there!) with vegetables and garlic bread
    -lasagna
    -I’ve made “healthy cookies” with no sugar in them. I got the recipe from a book in the library
    -chicken salad sandwiches (roasted chicken, the kids don’t like canned!)
    -whole wheat waffles with fresh fruit on top
    -whole wheat pancakes with fresh fruit on top
    -soup! Chicken noodle (use the chicken from any leftover meal!), tomato, chili! Etc
    -baked potatos with chili!
    -sloppy joes on occasion (I make my own sauce)
    -I made this thing with elbow noodles, spaghetti sauce/canned tomatoes, ground beef and whatever veggies on hand and baked it in the oven with some cheese… kids liked it. Lol
    -turkey, tomato, lettuce and mayo whole wheat roll ups/pinwheels

The list goes on! Get creative. The local library could have some great books on meals for kids.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I used to core an apple. Cut into slices across the apple so you have round slices and put a thin layer of peanut butter on them and then another apple slice. I would also slice a banana length wise and put peanut butter in it and then put it back together. They loved both of these.

Would they like pulled bbq chicken sand.? I make loaded burger's. I use ground chicken for myself and beef for the husband. I dice onion, mushrooms, minced garlic and season it. I also add cilantro to mine.

I also use apricot preserves, apple jelly or maple syrup to kick up cooked carrots. I cook them until they are 3/4 way done, then drain them. Add the preserves and finish cooking with the lid off. When I use the apricot preserves I alo use a pinch of rosemary.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    oh i just remembered www.sproutonline.com has great ideas
  • Lillith23
    Lillith23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, theres lots of great ideas on here!
    my daughter is 2 and hasnt been terribly picky, but tiptoeing around the husbands eating habits and making something he would like and feeding it to the rest is something I am familiar with.
    Some tips:
    Branch out slowly by tweaking your usuals with flavor combos, there are a million ways to make chicken. The internet is your friend!
    Try doing a one new recipe a week (pick a day...wednesday nights maybe?) to help the kiddos and the husband adjust their palates.
    incorporate some of the wonderful suggestions above! Im taking notes myself:)
  • marshmallow8978
    marshmallow8978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My kids like:
    Breakfast for dinner
    Tacos
    Fajitas
    Pulled bbq chicken
    Homemade sloppy joes
    Turkey burgers
    Pork chops
    Quesadillas

Snacks are fruit, yogurt, goldfish
    Lunch is a sandwich, a fruit and a veggie

My kids are older, 9&6, and the youngest doesnt eat table food yet. I have found that making food instead of buying repackaged helps a great deal. I can modify almost any recipe and make it healthier. I find a lot of ideas on pinterest or skinnytaste too