I'm not losing anything

Options
I've lost 7 lbs so far after a month of starting however for the last week or so I haven't been losing anything. I'm still under my calorie goal and still doing the same amount of exercise I have been doing. Is it just a little delay or am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• Kathryn0505
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I lost about 6 pounds and then just kept maintaining even though I am still exercising and eating around 1200-1300 calories. I theorized that maybe I needed to cut back my sugar? I read somewhere that high insulin levels can make it difficult to lose fat but I couldn't abandon my one soda a day habit for long enough to see if this made a difference. =/

Kate
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary but are you eating lots of fruit + vegetables, more protein and fewer "unhealthier" carbs? Are you drinking your calories? Have you reduced calories to much? Could it be water retention? Sooo many questions, but have a look at those things I mentioned! It might help :)
  • nuriah711
    nuriah711 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Normally the initial bit of weight loss is due to water loss. After this, you'll start to burn your fat molecules but this process takes a lot longer than losing water. So just keep at it and eventually you'll start to see a decrease again!

Try taking your body measurements too every week! You might not be losing weight because you've started to gain muscle. If that's the case, you should still see the results when you're measuring yourself!

Hope this helps! Keep going! No pain, no gain!
  • scrummy92
    scrummy92 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Probably a bit of a plateau - totally normal! Stick with it! Maybe try different exercises, mixing up your workouts has a more significant effect on your body than doing the same things over and over.
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I lost 30lbs in the first 2 months of tracking my calories and was barely even exercising. Since then (March) I have completely plateaued and can't figure out what to do differently. I've added exercise into my routine, I've changed my macros back and forth to see if ANYTHING had an effect, and absolutely nothing is working. I have another 30 pounds to lose and I completely feel your frustration!! If you figure it out please let me know!
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I lost steadily for 4 weeks then had a 10 day period of time where I only lost 2/10 of a pound. Patience is a virtue in the weight loss game. At the end of the 10 days I started losing again. I just stayed the course of eating my allotted calories. I anticipate these mini-plateaus will happen many times in the next year or so but I have decided to just keep on keeping on. I have put my faith in math.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing and stop weighing every day. Plateaus and fluctuations are a very normal and expected part of the process. If you don't see either a change in weight or inches in another couple of weeks and have been consistently and honestly logging everything, eating right, staying active and getting all your water - then it's time to thinking about making some changes. A real plateau lasts at least 3 weeks. You have to stay strong and keep at it. Remember this is for your health not just to get to a certain weight/size.

Typically these stalls and fluctuations are due to water weight. Sodium intake too high? Water intake too low? Have you tried any new exercises lately or increased intensity in your current routine? Is it around that time of the month?
    All of these can effect water weight.

Re: the sugar question. Unless you are a diabetic or have some other sugar related health issues, it is not necessary to cut sugars from your diet. Some do try to eat cleaner by cutting out processed/added sugars and only sticking with natural sources like agave nectar. Same idea as sticking to cleaner carbs like whole grains, fruits and veg.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I've lost 7 lbs so far after a month of starting however for the last week or so I haven't been losing anything. I'm still under my calorie goal and still doing the same amount of exercise I have been doing. Is it just a little delay or am I doing something wrong?

Emily, congratulations on losing 7lbs. Without seeing your diary, or without knowing what your calorie goal is, then it is really difficult to see if you are under/overeating.

So, it is really hard for anybody to give you any constructive advice.
  • catbubbles
    catbubbles Posts: 28
    Options
    One week without a loss is not unusual, especially since you lost 7 last month. That is a great number. Shake things up if your in a rut. Different exercises and different foods (healthy options of course).