I'm so confused! 0.o

Options
Ok I only eat when I'm hungry and I ate my "breakfast" around 4pm and I went bike riding for a half hour and my diary shows that I gained calories instead of losing them. How is this possible? 0.o

Replies

• Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    This isn't very clear and your diary isn't open.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Exercise increases deficit. When you exercise, you burn calories, so you gain some. The trick is to eat at least half back so you don't have too much of a deficit (the numbers that MFP give you already include one).

I hope you had a very large breakfast if you didn't eat at all during the day...
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    MFP sets up your calorie goal without exercise. If you exercise calories are added so your original deficit remains.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Exercise increases deficit. When you exercise, you burn calories, so you gain some. The trick is to eat at least half back so you don't have too much of a deficit (the numbers that MFP give you already include one).

I hope you had a very large breakfast if you didn't eat at all during the day...
    This helped me understand. Another method is to not log your exercise calories. People will argue both sides of this debate.
  • JohnPiper2
    JohnPiper2 Posts: 10
    Options
    "This helped me understand. Another method is to not log your exercise calories. People will argue both sides of this debate."

I agree with this side of equation as you mention above. You can either log in your exercise to "gain' calories to eat or play it safe and only eat half back the ones you earned. It is trial and error.
  • MadeOfFire93
    Options
    Thanks this really helped.
    Umm no I only had a yogurt. I don't really know what to do because I've suffered from a eating disorder where I don't really eat much. I usually eat two big meals a day and don't really exercise. But lately I've been trying to change that. Oh and I can't cook so it kinda hinders my eating options.
  • kr1stadee
    Options
    Umm no I only had a yogurt. I don't really know what to do because I've suffered from a eating disorder where I don't really eat much. I usually eat two big meals a day and don't really exercise. But lately I've been trying to change that. Oh and I can't cook so it kinda hinders my eating options.

Plan out your day in advance and stick with it. If you can't (or don't want to) eat a few big meals, plan snacks, or smaller amounts of food. Timing doesn't usually matter - it's pretty much preference, but you should be meeting your calorie goals.

Youtube and Google are amazing for learning how to cook. Keep trying, and you'll surprise yourself sooner or later!!
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Now will be a really good time to learn how to cook. Start simple and work your way up. It can actually be fun. Please try to do this the right way. You need to eat enough to fuel your body. Good luck to you.
  • MadeOfFire93
    Options
    I am slowly warming up to cooking but I'm still afraid of the stove (long story) but I can make Roman noodles and mac and cheese but those aren't exactly healthy.
  • kr1stadee
    Options
    I am slowly warming up to cooking but I'm still afraid of the stove (long story) but I can make Roman noodles and mac and cheese but those aren't exactly healthy.

If you can make either of those, then you can make spaghetti, or boil potatoes for mashed potatoes.

For from-scratch spaghetti sauce, I take a saucepan, a little olive oil and 3 cloves of garlic, chopped up.. heat the oil, cook the garlic in it for 2-3 minutes, then add a can of crushed tomatoes (or, sometimes if my son's texture issue is really bad, I'll puree the tomatoes, then put them in the saucepan), then I add in some spices - a couple basil leaves (take them out before eating), onion, pepper... and let simmer for a half hour (some like to simmer all day, its up to you!). Ta-dah, marinara sauce that you can use anywhere!! Boil up the spaghetti noodles, drain, portion out and top with sauce. mmmm!

I've actually thrown in raw turkey meatballs in the sauce and cooked for 30 minutes... and they come out perfectly!

Start with the simple foods (spaghetti, or chicken - put the chicken pieces on a roasting pan, or dish, season or coat with a sauce of choice, cook at 350 for 30-40 minutes, that's done! You certainly do not need to be a gourmet chef, just cook the basics, you'll eventually want to start experimenting with other recipes!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti sauce simmering in a crock pot all day is yum!! There are so many things you can make in a crock pot so the stove won;t be an issue. You are throwing everything in uncooked then turn it on and let it slow cook all day. I make pot roast and potatos, pork chops with potatos and cabbage, soups, stews. I have even done stuffed bell peppers in it. Wash and wrap potatos in foil and throw them in. Perfect baked potatos at the end of the day! Look up crockpot divas. There are some great, healthy recipe sites with crock recipes as well!!

Good luck! :flowerforyou: